News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Games > Unreal Tournament Series > Unreal Tournament 3

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd Aug 2008, 06:52 PM   #1
Hyrage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr. 9th, 2008
Posts: 635
BU mod? hmm... let's think about it

Some of you will find the idea very stupid and some others very smart. It's all up to the community.

Let's start
The main idea is to bring something new on the table by keeping the main focus on the Community. I agree, I've not been here for a very long time so maybe the idea already been tried before, I don't know... but here is what I think could be a nice interaction between "Beyond Unreal" and directly his Community.

What about making a Team Project all together and create a BU Community mod directly. I mean, we have plenty of talented and experienced individuals and probably others that aren't that much experienced.

Like making a live tutorial for the Community, what I think could be so useful for so many new comers or actual users who once thought they could start something but never really knew where to give a head on.

I wasn't thinking to a huge TC mod, but mostly something basic enough that shows really and "Live" how to develop a mod step by step.

So here is what I would suggest... feel totally free to comment, bring a new and better process, negate the project or whatever.
  • Could be nice to have a section for the Project on the BU forum to not spam the other ones
  • Select our Project Leaders to keep some order on all that [Lead Design, Coding, Level Design, 3D modeling, texturing, etc]
  • Pass a few days or weeks on the conception all together [throw sketches, ideas, designs, character designs, weapons, core gameplays, etc]
  • Create together the Game Doc of the project to finally know what we would do.
  • Get the right amount of coders that we need for the Project.
  • Get some 3D artist and animators for the weapons (and characters if we really feel the need to).
  • Get some 3D artist to model new assets if necessary, but we could just use the actual UT3 stock assets.
  • Build up a Rational Level Design Document for the Level Designers [for any mappers in the community]

Maybe we could just change UT3 directly depending of the actual feedbacks on the BU forums.
Hyrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Aug 2008, 07:10 PM   #2
hal
Dictator
 
hal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov. 24th, 1998
Location: ------->
Posts: 21,383
Moving from OT to UT3 forum
__________________
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Aug 2008, 07:55 PM   #3
JohnDoe641
Killer Fools Pro
 
JohnDoe641's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov. 8th, 2000
Location: N.J.
Posts: 5,167
:c
__________________

Ci.ctf pdX.tdm
JohnDoe641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Aug 2008, 08:14 PM   #4
DarQraven
Registered User
 
DarQraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan. 20th, 2008
Posts: 1,164
Could be a nice idea, but I think it would go one of two ways:

1) The same small group of regular modders would do all the work, and nothing would really change. This would probably mean that all the people that aren't quite so skilled in UEd or maya would only be able to contribute to gameplay design, and I think we all know what happens when lots and lots of people pitch in their wildest ideas about gameplay. We couldn't even agree on something simple like brightskins.

2) A variant of #1: So many people would be interested that the project would go absolutely nowhere. Too many directions, visions, focus on different aspects, etc would probably not lead to a central theme.
It would have to be decided by the project leaders, and that would make it no different than a regular cooperation like UT3DOM. It'd still be the same group of people.

Still, if you know a way to get around these two issues, or don't worry about them as I do, it would be a nice thing to try

Something that WOULD be very cool, and what I actually expected when I read the title, was a simple mod that aims to further unite the BU community ingame.
Maybe some built in option of a separate friends list with all of the names in the "BU username thread" already in it. Or BU-only leaderboards, competition, whatever.
Maybe a notifier of the next fragBU with auto-invite.

Seeing as the UT3 community isn't that huge already, further integration of the BU community into the game might at least offer a more regular playerbase.
It sure is easier than xfire-ing everyone separately...
__________________
DarQraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Aug 2008, 09:02 PM   #5
zynthetic
robot!
 
zynthetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug. 12th, 2001
Posts: 2,945
Sounds like BuF Bonus Pack 3.
__________________
zynthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Aug 2008, 09:07 PM   #6
Hyrage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr. 9th, 2008
Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarQraven View Post
Could be a nice idea, but I think it would go one of two ways:

1) The same small group of regular modders would do all the work, and nothing would really change. This would probably mean that all the people that aren't quite so skilled in UEd or maya would only be able to contribute to gameplay design, and I think we all know what happens when lots and lots of people pitch in their wildest ideas about gameplay. We couldn't even agree on something simple like brightskins.

2) A variant of #1: So many people would be interested that the project would go absolutely nowhere. Too many directions, visions, focus on different aspects, etc would probably not lead to a central theme.
It would have to be decided by the project leaders, and that would make it no different than a regular cooperation like UT3DOM. It'd still be the same group of people.

Still, if you know a way to get around these two issues, or don't worry about them as I do, it would be a nice thing to try

Something that WOULD be very cool, and what I actually expected when I read the title, was a simple mod that aims to further unite the BU community ingame.
Maybe some built in option of a separate friends list with all of the names in the "BU username thread" already in it. Or BU-only leaderboards, competition, whatever.
Maybe a notifier of the next fragBU with auto-invite.

Seeing as the UT3 community isn't that huge already, further integration of the BU community into the game might at least offer a more regular playerbase.
It sure is easier than xfire-ing everyone separately...
And you are definitely right. There is probably going to only have a little group who will work mainly on the project.

The reason to have Project Leaders is to let these select the right and wrong ideas in the Conception phase. They are the "pros", they are the ones to truly judge if it fits or not.

I thought it could be interesting, but maybe it would jsut be to hard to get all the best pros here together on the same project. Hourences, DGUnreal and a few others will probably focus on The Ball mod, many others are probably on map packs or else...

I think it would not be the right timing for that kind of Project.
Hyrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2008, 07:46 AM   #7
Wowbagger
Curing the infection...
 
Wowbagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May. 20th, 2000
Location: Sweden
Posts: 637
Good points Hyrage and DarQraven.

I agree with everything but disagree on one, let it be a large and ambitious project that make people buy UT3 to play it.

- One of the big guns (that are always busy i know) should oversee the overall quality instead of actually mapping so that everything is Bazzwano quality

- Maybe BU could build a Project section (or only using the forum) for Requests.
This way everyone could be involved.
If a mapper need a Texture, Material, Sound or a 3Dmodel he just put it in the Request section with sketches or photos and maybe he will even get several to choose from.

Those that have the skills but dont have the time to get involved could do Tutorials for Dummies for the above so even those with less skills (like me) can contribute.

Those without any gamecreating skills at all could engineer the ultimate viral campaign or something.


My TC suggestion?,
A 2009 version of Unreal built entirely around four man COOP done the Battlestar Galactica 2006, Batman Begins, Casino Royale style and without the limitations the old engine had back in 98. A total restart but with 100% love for the original.
This time 4 men and women survives the Vortex Riker crash (Prisoner, Engineer, Medic, Guard) and Na Pali will be bigger, deadlier and more beautiful than ever.
The TC should be split into 8 chapters so that the project isnt too overwhelming and if someone wants to drop off after Chapter 1 is released they can do that without feeling to bad
.


Well i can dream cant i?
__________________
FCE2 - Respawn Inc.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2008, 07:51 AM   #8
Wowbagger
Curing the infection...
 
Wowbagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May. 20th, 2000
Location: Sweden
Posts: 637
I forgot, IF BU stands behind something like this (with newsposts etc) we might get talented people from all over the place interested not Unreal mappers only.
__________________
FCE2 - Respawn Inc.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2008, 08:08 AM   #9
Wormbo
 
Wormbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun. 4th, 2001
Location: Germany
Posts: 5,785
Needs a poop rifle with hot carl feature and a smiley launcher.
__________________
Wormbo's UT/UT2004/UT3 mods | YouTube channel | PlanetJailbreak/JDN | Unreal Wiki | Liandri Archives
Everything you ever wanted to know about replication| UnrealScript security considerations
<elmuerte> you shouldn't do all-nighters, it's a waste of time and effort
<TNSe> nono
<TNSe> its always funny to find code a week later you dont even remember writing
<Pfhoenix> what's worse is when you have a Star Wars moment
<Pfhoenix> "Luke! I am your code!" "No! Impossible! It can't be!"

Last edited by Wormbo; 23rd Aug 2008 at 08:11 AM.
Wormbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2008, 11:07 AM   #10
Hyrage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr. 9th, 2008
Posts: 635
I'll throw some quick ideas, maybe it could enlight some of us:

Make a Singleplayer Campaign
Create something as simple as GoW & we should make it COOP first. If making enemy AI is too complicated for BU [if we don'T have anyone who could do that], just skip the idea.

Make a Simple Upgrade to UT3

Add functionalities, weapons, characters, correct or fix the "ladder function" and more... that we need. Here I mostly think first to a close combat weapon like a Sword, Hatchet or else. You could make Headshots with the Melee Weapon and it would be faster than the Impact Hammer. The few interesting gameplays for close combat weapon (I think) could be:
  • Slash or melee attack - Primary Fire
  • Block - Secondary Fire
  • Throw object - Secondary Fire [arch trajectory like throwing knife or else to make it require more skills]

Make a different multiplayer mode

Oky, let's build something more crazy with a great and decent quality. Character Classes? Large Scale crazy battles? What.. you want a motorbike? Grappling hook for all? Bullet Gunz weapons [IMAO]? Give more tactical elements to UT3 style with smoke grenades, energy shields, healing kit, ressurect item, etc?

What the freak hell do you all dream about to play together guys???
Share the SDK with the BU community.
Hyrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2008, 11:08 AM   #11
Sir_Brizz
More Than Just Mad Skill
 
Sir_Brizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb. 3rd, 2000
Location: >:3
Posts: 25,703
BU is more than happy to support mod projects on the front page in any way we can. If you get someone on the staff on your team, even more so.
__________________
64 65 61 74 68 62 6f 6f 67 65 72 73 20 6d 6f 74 68 65 72 20 6f 66 20 63 6f 75 72 73 65

Liandri Archives - A veritable smorgasbord of information about the Unreal series
If Titanic taught me anything, it's to never let go until you're a frozen corpse staring hopelessly into a barren horizon.
Sir_Brizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2008, 11:27 AM   #12
Hyrage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr. 9th, 2008
Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post

My TC suggestion?,
A 2009 version of Unreal built entirely around four man COOP done the Battlestar Galactica 2006, Batman Begins, Casino Royale style and without the limitations the old engine had back in 98. A total restart but with 100% love for the original.
This time 4 men and women survives the Vortex Riker crash (Prisoner, Engineer, Medic, Guard) and Na Pali will be bigger, deadlier and more beautiful than ever.
The TC should be split into 8 chapters so that the project isnt too overwhelming and if someone wants to drop off after Chapter 1 is released they can do that without feeling to bad
.


Well i can dream cant i?
Hey I'm not too familiar with the Unreal Tournament story, but what you wrote is just not bad at all, sounds good.
But Character Classes is something we should discuss about.

Can you better define the Character Classes?
And how does a character class affect the game? Each player class gives unique weapons? abilities? items?

Last edited by Hyrage; 23rd Aug 2008 at 11:38 AM.
Hyrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Aug 2008, 03:47 AM   #13
Larkin
Gone
 
Larkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr. 5th, 2006
Posts: 1,984
Wow, you want to do alllot!

Why not just do a mappack with mutators that are related to BUF.

The community is small(really small) and making a mod of any kind at this point is asking for too much. A mappack and mutators with small weapon models is all you will be able to do, realistically.
Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Aug 2008, 04:25 AM   #14
Wormbo
 
Wormbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun. 4th, 2001
Location: Germany
Posts: 5,785
This reminds me: Hyrage, didn't you work on some kind of large TC with player classes and more realistic weapons already? You can't work on two mods this large at the same time and if you're that quick to dump your own mod, there's no guarantee you will put enough effort in this mod either.
__________________
Wormbo's UT/UT2004/UT3 mods | YouTube channel | PlanetJailbreak/JDN | Unreal Wiki | Liandri Archives
Everything you ever wanted to know about replication| UnrealScript security considerations
<elmuerte> you shouldn't do all-nighters, it's a waste of time and effort
<TNSe> nono
<TNSe> its always funny to find code a week later you dont even remember writing
<Pfhoenix> what's worse is when you have a Star Wars moment
<Pfhoenix> "Luke! I am your code!" "No! Impossible! It can't be!"
Wormbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Aug 2008, 04:36 AM   #15
PsyXandeR
Registered User
 
PsyXandeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug. 5th, 2005
Location: W00ting himself on CTF-AllYourW00T
Posts: 696
Ya I think that the mappack will be the best solution, it will allow people to make whatever they want without getting their hands tied.
__________________
PsyXandeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Aug 2008, 04:38 AM   #16
Wowbagger
Curing the infection...
 
Wowbagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May. 20th, 2000
Location: Sweden
Posts: 637
I was more looking forward to discuss if this was a possible way to create a mod, A tight modding team with a working Request system at their disposal?
__________________
FCE2 - Respawn Inc.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Aug 2008, 05:14 AM   #17
Sammael
Green Greasy Greasel
 
Join Date: Sep. 30th, 2003
Posts: 406
I've got simple mutator requests right now, is there someone around here I can bring them to?
Sammael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Aug 2008, 05:53 AM   #18
Larkin
Gone
 
Larkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr. 5th, 2006
Posts: 1,984
Mutator Requests? I have no idea. Probably no one like usual.

Modding communities are not known to take requests.

The only real way to remotely guarantee even a reply is offer money.

Otherwise, your like a dog crying to come inside when no one is home.

It is best, to learn how to mod for UT3 yourself if you want something done.
Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Aug 2008, 06:04 AM   #19
Sammael
Green Greasy Greasel
 
Join Date: Sep. 30th, 2003
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkin View Post
Mutator Requests? I have no idea. Probably no one like usual.

Modding communities are not known to take requests.

The only real way to remotely guarantee even a reply is offer money.

Otherwise, your like a dog crying to come inside when no one is home.

It is best, to learn how to mod for UT3 yourself if you want something done.
Really? There's an entire section for it over at the Epic forums. Indeed, someone made one of my mutator requests when I submitted it for ut2k4. All I did was ask. I didn't think it was such a stretch to ask around here. Surely there are helpful people who would enjoy a challenge? Just a couple simple things, not asking for a TC with custom assets or anything.
Sammael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Aug 2008, 06:25 AM   #20
Larkin
Gone
 
Larkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr. 5th, 2006
Posts: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
Really? There's an entire section for it over at the Epic forums. Indeed, someone made one of my mutator requests when I submitted it for ut2k4. All I did was ask. I didn't think it was such a stretch to ask around here. Surely there are helpful people who would enjoy a challenge? Just a couple simple things, not asking for a TC with custom assets or anything.
Small requests have a higher chance no doubt, but usually requests are not small. I wouldn't go so fair to say your still not making a stretch though in making any kind of request. Then again, small requests are really the only real thing other then paid requests that have chance from my experience.

I won't say epic's request forum is any different then any other request forum I have seen, imo.
Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bullet gunzzz, no hot carls?

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Copyright ©1998 - 2012, BeyondUnreal, Inc.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
Bandwidth provided by AtomicGamer