News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Mods > The Ball > The Ball

Old 13th Jun 2008, 07:36 AM   #1
Hourences

Welcome

This will be the forum for our upcomming mod The Ball, a first person puzzle mod involving a ball...

This image was resized using the screenshot tag.  Click to view the full version

I hope to release more info and screens shortly.
Old 13th Jun 2008, 08:59 AM   #2
Sir_Brizz
More Than Just Mad Skill

Awesome! Is it going to be like Metaball?

Liandri Archives - A veritable smorgasbord of information about the Unreal series
If Titanic taught me anything, it's to never let go until you're a frozen corpse staring hopelessly into a barren horizon.
Sir_Brizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2008, 09:39 AM   #3
Hourences

Well yes and no, someone asked this before, this was my reply

Quote:
There are a dozen games like Metaball, they are all derived from each other. Switchball for example, Marble mania kind of as well, and so on. The element they all share is the ball yeah, but to me it's closer to Portal than to all those ball puzzle games like metaball.

I usually don't really like those typical ball puzzle games because you have so little control over the ball, and usually you just roll yourself into a hole somewhere.. My approach is to give the player a standard fps character, of which he has maximum control, and have the character mess with the ball. If the ball ends up in a hole or some lava, big deal, just pull it back out. HL2 Gravity gun meets tomb raider meets portal meets metaball.

Most ball games are usually also quite bright, cartoony, and childish. Mine will be dark, slightly less cartoony, and a bit more mature. I dont have the time and manpower to fully develop the theme and background story right now, but the original idea was to have some bloody action bits, which would also be quite satisfactionary btw, killing monsters with a big ball, and some scary elements like a mummified creature that "lives" inside the ball you are playing with.

We are starting simple though..
Old 13th Jun 2008, 05:57 PM   #4
Mr. UglyPants
2007 never existed, it was all a dream.

Aztec theme + Giant Ball = Lots of bloody fun (i'm guessing)

Mr. UglyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2008, 08:44 AM   #5
toniglandyl
internal data fragmentation : 62203480%

balls of steel ?

anyway, you can be sure that I'll be playing it !
Old 30th Sep 2008, 05:01 PM   #6
Accuphose

I have new idea about using your nice mod Ball... If you see Futurama duel between Farnsworth and Wernstrom, with two teams and many balls, this is my thing. Or using another possibility

1) Footbal Instagib, maybe with walls, etc

2) Pinball princip - many hole, many balls - if you will continue to point, you must fil all hole in same time.

I play CTF only, i like team strategy mode, but CTF is not enough, many maps are brutal flash deathmatch, i will see perfect team strategy and team coordination.

What you mean about this?

Sry my english is no good :-P
Accuphose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Oct 2008, 12:59 PM   #7
Hourences

I love to have multiplayer at some point, but we will need to recode the ball for that to support netcode, afaik. Not going to happen soon.
Still, it would be great to have. A steal the ball gametype instead of regular CTF for example, or a coop singleplay.