News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Reviews > Nali City > Nali City - Map Making > Level Editing - Advanced

Old 11th Mar 2005, 01:42 PM   #1
Slayer1

Photoshop Substitute

Hi Guys,

I've been mapping for years. I started off with Doom and never looked back! I released three Deathmatch levels for UT99 three or so years ago (if you're interested DM-Vault, DM-Machine and DM-Oppressor). I've so far made one UT2004 map which will be released very shortly. (Once my Broadband is restored!).

Anyway thats enough shameless self promotion.

I've finally decided I want to be able to create my own textures.

What I want to know here is the best software substitute to Photoshop if you can't afford 500 (or $s, Yen, or whatever other currency you work in). I'm looking at Paintshop Pro. Would I be able to do everything required with this? And is there a better option? Thanks in advance guys.
Slayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Mar 2005, 08:50 PM   #2
ReD_Fist
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer1
Hi Guys,

I've been mapping for years. I started off with Doom and never looked back! I released three Deathmatch levels for UT99 three or so years ago (if you're interested DM-Vault, DM-Machine and DM-Oppressor). I've so far made one UT2004 map which will be released very shortly. (Once my Broadband is restored!).

Anyway thats enough shameless self promotion.

I've finally decided I want to be able to create my own textures.

What I want to know here is the best software substitute to Photoshop if you can't afford 500 (or $s, Yen, or whatever other currency you work in). I'm looking at Paintshop Pro. Would I be able to do everything required with this? And is there a better option? Thanks in advance guys.

There are tons a progs out there man,and a zillion ways to make textures,
photoshop is highly over rated anyway,look for corel6 there are alot of plugins in it.The photoshop boys were paying 100 dallars per plug in that came with Corel Photopaint6.
But,there are alot of texture generators,and then use Jasco(corel bought them too) PSP Paint Shop Pro ,to edit the generated texture.
There are also progs that will allighn difficult areas in ut or ut04 freeware things,also progs to convert d3d filetypes, Get corelsuite 12.
Photoshop was writtin for a Mac first and i never liked it when I tried it
it's for mac heads.

Oh and in corel7 they took out alot of the stuff (3rd party plugins),and in corel 6 after you make the texture you may need to convert them to .DDS wich there is a prog for that too freeware.
Also you might try that bit torrent thing.

Last edited by ReD_Fist; 11th Mar 2005 at 08:57 PM.
ReD_Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2005, 04:05 AM   #3
Slayer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReD_Fist
There are tons a progs out there man,and a zillion ways to make textures,
photoshop is highly over rated anyway,look for corel6 there are alot of plugins in it.The photoshop boys were paying 100 dallars per plug in that came with Corel Photopaint6.
But,there are alot of texture generators,and then use Jasco(corel bought them too) PSP Paint Shop Pro ,to edit the generated texture.
There are also progs that will allighn difficult areas in ut or ut04 freeware things,also progs to convert d3d filetypes, Get corelsuite 12.
Photoshop was writtin for a Mac first and i never liked it when I tried it
it's for mac heads.

Oh and in corel7 they took out alot of the stuff (3rd party plugins),and in corel 6 after you make the texture you may need to convert them to .DDS wich there is a prog for that too freeware.
Also you might try that bit torrent thing.
Thanks Red Fist. Corel is an option I hadn't considered but I'll consider it now.
Slayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2005, 01:23 PM   #4
sandorski

The Gimp is Free and a good alternative to Photoshop. Don't have a link though.
Old 6th Jun 2005, 12:53 AM   #5
DannyMeister
UT3 Jailbreak Coder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandorski
The Gimp is Free and a good alternative to Photoshop. Don't have a link though.
http://www.gimp.org/windows/

This thing is pretty powerful, if not the most user-friendly. The docs at http://docs.gimp.org/en/ may help, and try http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/
DannyMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2005, 10:52 AM   #6
Member: Hammer

If you have the money for photoshop, just buy it. its the best, and the older version is also not bad.
Member: Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jul 2005, 07:03 AM   #7
Nemezis
Marcio Nemezis Silva

You can even use one of those Photoshop SE and LE versions that ship with some printers and scanners

Nemezis is offline   Reply With Quote