News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Unreal Development > UnrealEngine2 Runtime > Programming

Old 18th Jan 2005, 05:04 AM   #1
mrbungle

Question how to make an overhead map in runtime

Here is what I would like to do and, after hacking around online, have not been able to find much information about.

I am still working on making simple environments for people to navigate in experiments. People walk in the environs in first person view, but we would like to get some sort of visual feedback on the side - specifically an overhead view (a simple one really) representing the path that the person took through the environ.

Ideally this map would not be viewable by the user, and only available to us afterwards. I would also like to be able to save these maps as images or movies - anything really.

I do not even know where to start with this problem (other than on the forum).

Thanks
mrbungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2005, 04:29 AM   #2
StormSeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbungle
Here is what I would like to do and, after hacking around online, have not been able to find much information about.

I am still working on making simple environments for people to navigate in experiments. People walk in the environs in first person view, but we would like to get some sort of visual feedback on the side - specifically an overhead view (a simple one really) representing the path that the person took through the environ.

Ideally this map would not be viewable by the user, and only available to us afterwards. I would also like to be able to save these maps as images or movies - anything really.

I do not even know where to start with this problem (other than on the forum).

Thanks
If you look at the UT Redeemer's code, you can find out how to get a view through a different camera, so what you do is, you put a camera above the level and get a top-down view of the level.

You can leave a trail of particle-emitters or something behind the person so that you can see his path.

The part that may be difficult is to get that view into a graphics file. Maybe take a screenshot manually. Maybe the screenshot code is in the interface code somewhere.
StormSeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2005, 04:36 AM   #3
StormSeed

Oops. I thought this was an unreal-editing forum. You may want to look at an actual game made with the Unreal engine before using the engine.
Old 19th Jan 2005, 09:45 AM   #4
mrbungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormSeed
Oops. I thought this was an unreal-editing forum. You may want to look at an actual game made with the Unreal engine before using the engine.
I've been working with the unreal runtime editor for about 6 months now and am fairly comfortable with it. Your idea sounds interesting, but is it possible to run two cameras simultaneously?
mrbungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2005, 05:04 AM   #5
StormSeed

To my knowledge you'll need seperate players for seperate cameras, which means Unreal running separately but in the same "game".

So you should be able to have the experiment subject and the experimentor having different viewpoints/cameras, almost like a network game of UT.
Old 20th Jan 2005, 09:58 PM   #6
[SAS]Solid Snake

You may be better off doing this in UT2004, as there you can record demos and then convert the demos into movies. Otherwise look up a program called 'Fraps'.

Digital Confectioners
[SAS]Solid Snake is offline   Reply With Quote