News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Reviews > Nali City > Nali City - Map Making > Level Editing - Basic

Old 21st Mar 2004, 11:08 AM   #1
Horton'sWho
www.unrealplayground.com

I need a masked texture...

Hey gang,

Anybody aware of a masked texture (UEd2) of a single wire, like that stretched between two telephone poles? Preferably with a little sag in it... I'll make one if I have two but I was hoping it might be out there somewhere.

Hort
Horton'sWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Mar 2004, 12:53 PM   #2
The_Achilles

I'd say you just have to add a nonsolid sheet and apply the wire-texture on it. Then you have to rightclick on the texture, choose surface properties and select the "masked" flag.
Old 21st Mar 2004, 01:18 PM   #3
Horton'sWho
www.unrealplayground.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Achilles
I'd say you just have to add a nonsolid sheet and apply the wire-texture on it. Then you have to rightclick on the texture, choose surface properties and select the "masked" flag.

Yes I know-- but I don't have the proper "wire" texture to begin with- or is there a standard UT tex I am overlooking?
Old 21st Mar 2004, 02:35 PM   #4
darth_weasel
I won

XbpFX.inoxPip3

if you export/crop that down to 1 wire and reimport it ought to serve your purpose..?
darth_weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Mar 2004, 06:25 PM   #5
Horton'sWho
www.unrealplayground.com

Thanks Darth-

I've been looking at Pip5 from that pack- I might be able to trim out a single wire from it and give it a go. It's a minor detail.

Old 26th Apr 2004, 03:16 AM   #6
KingMango
pwnt

So this is where you been hiding out eh? We missed you in the ONS contest over at UP... But 99 per cent of us are not sorry you didn't enter...

Oh yeah btw if you want to make your own, start with an image (filled with a color mentioned later) larger than what you intend to finish with. Say 1024 x1024 Make a new layer and use elliptical select tool and from the top drag down til the bottom radius resembles something of a nice wire sag in the middle of your image. Crop. Fill with a color of choice for this will be your wire soon. Drag the selection up a bit to where it is the desired size of your wire then reverse selection and crop.
Use layer blending tools to bevel and emboss etc... add patterns to make it grimy or rough... just ahve fun with it.

Then choose a spot to marquee select and crop your final texture out.

when you convert to pcx, make sure the color you want masked is in the bottom right of the pallete. You can check the pallete by clicking the custom palette in the conversion dialog. In this case you may want to use a color other than black so you can achieve a nice shadow for the bottom of your wire.

Hope I didn't miss anything as that is from memory and I haven't ps'd for a couple months now...

"Do people even learn how to think anymore, or do we just cram test answers into their brains?"
-Angel Mapper

Last edited by KingMango; 26th Apr 2004 at 03:30 AM.
KingMango is offline   Reply With Quote