Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Mods > Infiltration > Off Topic

Old 7th Dec 2001, 07:34 PM   #1
striderteen

Location: Caltech, Pasadena, California, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
Gunfire and Mayhem @ Caltech

Got your attention, didn't I?

But then again, it got MY attention too...after all, it's not every day your homework is interrupted by a massive blast!!

No, it wasn't Columbine II...just another 'Tech tradition. We have a fully functional six-inch breech-loading artillery piece, which is fired at the beginning and end of every term (before finals week). Of course, I'd forgotten all about it, so the shot startled the hell out of me.

And I find that Infiltration has given me some degree of combat reflexes, too...my reaction to "loud gunshot" was to duck and look for a sniper!
striderteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2001, 07:36 PM   #2
UTProphet
Trial By Fire

You are one crazy fellow
UTProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2001, 07:59 PM   #3
Donnellizer
Fjæsing!

Are you trying to hit a rival college...? Hehe.
Old 7th Dec 2001, 08:24 PM   #4
Mad_Dog
Voice Of Reason

Re: Gunfire and Mayhem @ Caltech

Quote:
Originally posted by striderteen
No, it wasn't Columbine II...just another 'Tech tradition. We have a fully functional six-inch breech-loading artillery piece, which is fired at the beginning and end of every term (before finals week). Of course, I'd forgotten all about it, so the shot startled the hell out of me.
nice. university of toronto engineers have one too. whenever it's transported from it's secret hiding place, there are always six members of the "Brute Force Squad" chained to it, so it's impossible to steal. i would love to try though.
Aldous Huxley said that an intellectual was a person who had discovered something more interesting than sex. A civilized man, it might be said, is someone who has discovered something more satisfying than combat.

-John Keegan, A History of Warfare
Mad_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2001, 08:25 PM   #5
striderteen

Location: Caltech, Pasadena, California, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
You have to hide yours??? Ha ha, ours is in the open...we fire about six times a year, for various traditions and events.
Old 7th Dec 2001, 08:40 PM   #6
FiringAimlessly
NOT going to waste another minute on CS!

Re: Gunfire and Mayhem @ Caltech

Quote:
And I find that Infiltration has given me some degree of combat reflexes, too...my reaction to "loud gunshot" was to duck and look for a sniper!
- ever since I started playing non-Quake FPS's I've found myself moving along walls for cover and scanning buildings for sniper spots...
FiringAimlessly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2001, 09:04 PM   #7
Mad_Dog
Voice Of Reason

Quote:
You have to hide yours??? Ha ha, ours is in the open...we fire about six times a year, for various traditions and events.
the one our engineers have is pretty small... probably an inch shell max, six people can carry it. the engineers tend to steal other school's engineering mascots, so they have to hide their stuff pretty well to keep it.
Aldous Huxley said that an intellectual was a person who had discovered something more interesting than sex. A civilized man, it might be said, is someone who has discovered something more satisfying than combat.

-John Keegan, A History of Warfare
Mad_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2001, 02:58 AM   #8
striderteen

Heh heh. We "borrowed" ours from a military museum several decades ago...we DID end up paying for it, though, so we didn't REALLY steal it.