NewsUnrealEdFilesModsFragBULiandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Games > Unreal Tournament Series > Unreal Tournament

Old 15th Aug 2001, 10:48 PM   #1
Metal414

OpenGL w/ GeForce 3

I picked up a GeForce 3 today to replace my Radeon 64DDR ViVo and was checking out some of the games I own. I installed UT, patched it, and grabbed the latest OpenGL dll as well as adding the appropriate info to the ini file. When I run the game in OpenGL I only get 20 FPS, 77 FPS in D3D. With the Radeon I used to get 40 FPS OpenGL/45 FPS D3D. Why is the GeForce 3 slower in OpenGL than the Radeon? I'm running it at 1024x768 in 32-bit color (desktop also set in 32-bit color). I don't mind playing the game in D3D, I just wanted to check out the textures from the second CD.

Here's my system specs:
Asus CUSL2 MoBo
Pentium III 866mhz (geez, this is getting old)
512MB PC133 SDRAM
40GB ATA 100 Western Digital HD
Teac 12x10x32 CDRW
Toshiba 4x DVD
GeForce 3
Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Gamer
HP 17" Monitor
Windows XP RC1
Windows 98 SE

I've only tried it under Windows XP, but I don't think it has anything to do with it since that's where I also tried it with the Radeon.
Metal414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2001, 12:10 AM   #2
Morety
The Farterator

For starters, UT was made for glide, not opengl. Online your best bet is to stick to d3d.

However: If you want to see the card's capabilities and some cool graphics...

Click here for the lates opengl drivers.

copy/paste the following into your unreal tournament.ini in the opengl section...

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
RefreshRate=75
DetailTextures=1
UseTrilinear=1
UseS3TC=1
UseTNT=0
LODBias=0
UseMultiTexture=1
UsePalette=1
UseAlphaPalette=0
Translucency=1
VolumetricLighting=1
ShinySurfaces=1
Coronas=1
HighDetailActors=1
MaxAnisotropy=0
AlwaysMipmap=0
UsePrecache=0
SupportsLazyTextures=0

If you have the 2nd UT cd installed, it'll activate the compressed textures and you'll be impressed with the single player graphics. I said single player.

If playing with this setup online, you'll see all sorts of weird crap if the server doesn't have the 2nd cd installed and it'll make the online game unplayable.

Morety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2001, 07:10 AM   #3
JuiceEggsMcKenna
MC68060/50

Wow I get at least three times that framerate and my specs are nowhere near as good. I say you take off and reformat the entire site from orbit - it's the only way to be sure.
Case took a pink handset from its cradle and punched a Hong Kong number from memory. He let it ring five times, then hung up. His buyer for the three megabytes of hot RAM in the Hitachi wasn't taking calls.
JuiceEggsMcKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2001, 10:37 AM   #4
Metal414

Morety, I had done that already (getting the latest dll and changing the ini file).

JuiceEggsMcKenna, I don't think a format is in order yet. I always had a drop in FPS in Windows 2000 and XP. With my Radeon I went from 65 FPS to 45 FPS in D3D going from Win98 to 2000.

I found something even stranger, I decided to dual boot into Win98 SE and run UT to see what the FPS are like. Well in D3D I average 7 FPS... that's no typo, 7 frames per second. I've tried the drivers from the CD and the 12.41 drivers. In OpenGL though I average 74 FPS. lol, so in order for to play the game under Windows 98 I have to use OpenGL, but under XP I have to use D3D. WTF? Windows 98 SE was installed not that long ago on a clean partition. I have the latest version of Direct X installed. I think the problem here is UT. I played Quake 3 under XP and it was smooth. I haven't benchmarked it yet though.
Old 16th Aug 2001, 01:12 PM   #5
AmigaOne|BuF
Masterful

FPS woes

Did you check to make sure that your new video setup in XP didn't set the VSync back on? That will limit your experience.

Also what happens if you knock it down to 16-bit color?
Old 16th Aug 2001, 01:57 PM   #6
WebSlinger
bNotNegative != False

I haven't installed the latest openGL and INI tweak and here's what I get:

Cityintro.unr:
51.96 min
158.44 max
85.54 avg

UT Everything high
1024x768x32 OpenGL
ASUS A7A266 Mobo
AMD Athlon 1.33 Ghz
Thermalright SK6 (Temp 54c)
ASUS v8200 GeForce3
256 mb Micron pc2100 DDR
Wes Digi 30 GB 7200 rpm
SB Live! Value
Win2k pro sp2

I get lower fps in d3d
Old 16th Aug 2001, 02:42 PM   #7
Metal414

AmigaOne|PuF, VSync was enabled so I disabled it and re-tested but it made no difference.

WebSlinger, thanks for the info... I think I'll copy the opengl dll over from the CD and see if it fixes it.
Old 16th Aug 2001, 02:59 PM   #8
SimplyCosmic
ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.

Quote:
I've only tried it under Windows XP, but I don't think it has anything to do with it since that's where I also tried it with the Radeon.
Windows XP RC1 and RC2's default drivers for the video cards don't actually contain real support for OpenGL (due to SGI and Microsoft not getting along). Instead, with the default drivers all OpenGL calls are handled by a wrapper which converts them to Direct3D calls. This affects some cards more than others.

You didn't mention if you had gone to the Nvidia site and downloaded new drivers (use the Windows 2000 ones) for your card.
Old 16th Aug 2001, 03:17 PM   #9
Metal414

SimplyCosmic, I've been using the Windows 2000 drivers from nVidia's web site, version 12.41 WHQL.

I just downloaded the CL EAX version of UT and now OpenGL won't even work. I've used it before without any problems. I think I'll just stick with D3D under Windows XP and OpenGL under Windows 98 SE.
Old 16th Aug 2001, 03:37 PM   #10
SimplyCosmic
ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.

OpenGL support for UnrealTournament has been spotty at best, even under any of the 9x's.

Both Tribes 2 and Quake III, which were built around OpenGL, work fine under XP RC2 for me with my Radeon 64MB DDR.