News • UnrealEd • Files • Mods • FragBU • Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Off Topic

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th May 2012, 10:10 PM   #1
Hermskii
www.Hermskii.com
 
Hermskii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr. 13th, 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 861
Are fat people next?

The government here in the USA has been hard at work taxing the crap out of smokers and reducing the legal areas where smokers can smoke. There is basically no more smoking in a restaurant in Houston for instance. Many work places no longer allow smoking at all etc etc.

I think I'm like most when it comes to quitting smoking in that I gained some weight. I'm lucky. It wasn't too much weight and I'm sorta young and healthy enough to lose the extra weight. I have to worry about the others though. The ones who have fought their weight since their youth. If the government can tax the crap out of cigarettes what is stopping them from doing the same with food? You know it is coming right?

People were mad about people like me (smokers) causing their insurance to go up. Now that I don't smoke, do I get to be mad at fat people when my insurance starts to go up because of them? Will it be fair when your favorite candy-bar, ice-cream, potato chips, breakfast cereal, hamburger and tacos all triple in price over a couple of years?

I'm just putting out the question. I feel bad for the ones who get harassed to stop smoking and do it but then gain weight just to "now" get harassed about being overweight. What comes next after taxing the crap out of folks for being overweight? They'll go after drinkers next! Yep. The end of the world is near! LOL.
Hermskii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 10:22 PM   #2
Thrash123
Obey Leash Laws
 
Thrash123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul. 19th, 1999
Location: Nowhere to be found.
Posts: 4,774
I don't see why insurance providers are bumping up their premiums to cover smoking for everybody; the last place I worked the insurance had a "smoker's surcharge", which covered that (you had to be smoke-free for a year to have that removed). My new insurance doesn't, but it's also actually much cheaper, too.

Hannibal, MO - the town I live in - has been fighting hard to ban smoking. They've actually been fairly lenient in the legislation, though, compared to our neighbors (Quincy, IL has a minimum 15 ft distance from entrances/windows for smokers IIRC - Hannibal's proposal was only 3 or 5 feet, IIRC). It was on the last election we had, and it supposedly passed, but I guess there were issues in implementation and whatnot so it's going to have to come back for a vote.

Honestly, I've always felt it should be up to the establishment. I know plenty of places (restaurants, bars) in the area that don't allow smoking, and they do fine. I also know plenty of smoking-friendly places that do great as well. The whole argument "what about the staff" is rather moot, as many of the staff that work these places are smokers, too. Beyond that, we CAN choose where we want to work.

A good argument that occurred to me is with glass blowers; people who make fine art (as well as utilitarian pieces) by blowing glass. My girlfriend does it, and apparently, it has similar risks to smoking.. Yet you don't see people not buying blown glass products (in fact, there is a major cruise line that does on-ship glass blowing demonstrations). They chose that line of work. Are we going to ban glass blowing now, because it's unhealthy for the people who do it? What about people who shovel **** in stables? Fecal matter carries all sorts of diseases. Think about the children, dammit!

While we're at it, let's ban stress. That'll kill out a lot of industries, but dammit, it's so unhealthy!
__________________
My Portfolio | My Music
Thrash123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 10:32 PM   #3
NRG
Master Console Hater
 
NRG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan. 1st, 2006
Posts: 1,726
You shouldn't be smoking to lose weight/stay thinner in the first place. LOL.
__________________
NRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 11:14 PM   #4
Hermskii
www.Hermskii.com
 
Hermskii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr. 13th, 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 861
Thrash123 just reminded me that the club I used to go to fell into the group of bars considered inside Houston and they had to ban smoking. The place is still open but it used to be a fun/busy/money making place. Now it is dead and up for sell and nobody goes there anymore. Everyone went to just outside the city limits where it is still legal to smoke inside. I know I didn't want to drink and then go stand outside in the freezing rain to smoke just to come back in, thaw out, have another drink and then head back out for another smoke and continue to repeat. How many smokers missed work from getting sick going back and forth from inside to outside to smoke at bars during the winter? You never hear about those studies. I would never get sick either. I always thought it was funny how several of my friends would bug me to quit smoking yet they were always sick and I never was. I hope that continues now that I have quit. Whenever I would drink I would smoke twice as much too. Smoking and drinking go together very well. I can't even imagine how many small bars went out of business because of this ban and it wasn't like these bars were making people come inside. people have a choice as to whether or not they want to go into a bar or not.

I totally agree. It should be up to the business. If I could open a bar near central Houston where people could smoke inside I'd be filthy rich in a month and it would be the busiest bar in Houston!

Last edited by Hermskii; 19th May 2012 at 11:20 PM.
Hermskii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 11:35 PM   #5
Zxanphorian
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
 
Zxanphorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul. 1st, 2002
Location: PA USA
Posts: 4,480
As I said in the other thread: I don't care who and what you are and what your personal life choices are, except when it comes to endangering others and my safety and health. If the activity has totally preventable adverse risks and effects, and you still do it, you should suffer the consequences.

To explain, think about NOAA's "Turn around, don't drown." campaign. That means, in simple terms, don't be a dumbass and play Russian Roulette, driving into raging floodwater. I know many communities and states are toying around with levying fines for anyone willfully driving into floodwater and getting stuck. Another related idea is if you fail to have a proper plan when you trek through the wilderness, such as telling trusted people where you are going and when you will be back, you should pay a fine if you require rescue. These campaigns I totally favor.

Same with smoking, eating too many bacon cheeseburgers, and chronically drinking alcohol, to cite a few. You are willfully playing Russian Roulette with your health, so you should be held accountable for it when the time comes. While I don't necessarily agree with higher insurance premiums as a first resort (although if it is time to compromise, I would welcome it), there should be a significantly higher deductible for any complications of the activities caused by the aforementioned risky behaviors. I'd rather not pay the same for insurance as the person next when they are chugging cooking oil.

That being said, I think the best option is to provide incentives to ones that display healthy personal choices, such as lower insurance deductibles and premiums, and tax credits. Also I don't condone hypocrisy, so if I do harmful choices, I would like to suffer the consequences if I am called to do so. Aside from blatant harassment, I don't see the harm in calling people out for the error of their ways.

Last edited by Zxanphorian; 19th May 2012 at 11:36 PM.
Zxanphorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 03:32 AM   #6
Firefly
United Kingdom is not a country.
 
Firefly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb. 20th, 2000
Location: Bucks, England - Nowhere near Europe
Posts: 4,846
You can always complain about fat people.
Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 04:15 AM   #7
xMurphyx
Registered User
 
xMurphyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun. 2nd, 2008
Posts: 1,503
Yeah, they're the last group you can mock openly without repercussions!

Fat men anyway. If you harass fat women you often have to deal with their patronizing "fat is beautiful" facebook friend brigade or with desperate white-knighting boys. The latter only on the internet because in real-life they wouldn't want to be known to associate with fat chicks. Just **** them in a garage and then pretend they don't know them.

But fat men are game no matter what! **** 'em! Not literally, of course, that'd be gross.

I have a feeling that the trend that fat women get defended now might include men too one day. But we'll always have the last fail-safe device: Just say "I'm not talking about chubby, I'm talking FAT fat". With that little disclaimer you can say pretty much anything.
__________________
xMurphyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 07:43 PM   #8
Wail of Suicide
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr. 11th, 2006
Posts: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMurphyx View Post
Yeah, they're the last group you can mock openly without repercussions!

Fat men anyway. If you harass fat women you often have to deal with their patronizing "fat is beautiful" facebook friend brigade or with desperate white-knighting boys. The latter only on the internet because in real-life they wouldn't want to be known to associate with fat chicks. Just **** them in a garage and then pretend they don't know them.

But fat men are game no matter what! **** 'em! Not literally, of course, that'd be gross.

I have a feeling that the trend that fat women get defended now might include men too one day. But we'll always have the last fail-safe device: Just say "I'm not talking about chubby, I'm talking FAT fat". With that little disclaimer you can say pretty much anything.

True.

There's no real point in trying to add a moral dimension to being overweight. Being fat doesn't indicate you're a lazy slob, it just indicates you're eating a diet that you can't metabolize properly (most likely too much sugar and carbohydrates). Exercise is a minimal factor in weight loss, although that doesn't mean it's worthwhile to be more fit for its own reasons.
__________________
Portfolio
Wail of Suicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 01:40 AM   #9
scott84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct. 23rd, 2004
Posts: 427
Fat people aren't next....as they are a growing majority.
scott84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 01:41 AM   #10
Zxanphorian
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
 
Zxanphorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul. 1st, 2002
Location: PA USA
Posts: 4,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott84 View Post
Fat people aren't next....as they are a growing majority.
I see what you did there.
Zxanphorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 11:48 AM   #11
dragonfliet
I write stuffs
 
dragonfliet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr. 24th, 2006
Posts: 3,729
Ew, fatties.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Prophet View Post

WW1 I think it was more like "Hey allies! We'll lend you a hand" and Europe was like, "Pfff, whatever. Okay, like stand over there and do stuff", and America was all like, "Oh really!? You mean it! Oh Boy!", and after awhile the European allies were like, "Hey they're actually not bad. Fair play to the Yanks" and the French Allies were like, "Oh wee wee, they held their own", and the Americans were like, "Hey, what did you say France?" and France was all like, "Nothing. Go **** yourself."
dragonfliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 06:48 PM   #12
BillyBadAss
Strong Cock of The North
 
BillyBadAss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May. 25th, 1999
Location: Tokyo, JP
Posts: 8,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermskii View Post
The government here in the USA has been hard at work taxing the crap out of smokers and reducing the legal areas where smokers can smoke. There is basically no more smoking in a restaurant in Houston for instance. Many work places no longer allow smoking at all etc etc.

I think I'm like most when it comes to quitting smoking in that I gained some weight. I'm lucky. It wasn't too much weight and I'm sorta young and healthy enough to lose the extra weight. I have to worry about the others though. The ones who have fought their weight since their youth. If the government can tax the crap out of cigarettes what is stopping them from doing the same with food? You know it is coming right?

People were mad about people like me (smokers) causing their insurance to go up. Now that I don't smoke, do I get to be mad at fat people when my insurance starts to go up because of them? Will it be fair when your favorite candy-bar, ice-cream, potato chips, breakfast cereal, hamburger and tacos all triple in price over a couple of years?

I'm just putting out the question. I feel bad for the ones who get harassed to stop smoking and do it but then gain weight just to "now" get harassed about being overweight. What comes next after taxing the crap out of folks for being overweight? They'll go after drinkers next! Yep. The end of the world is near! LOL.
I really hate the argument "**** I'm fat because I don't smoke anymore." Stop living a fat ass live style. Eat healthy food in healthy portions and do some exercise. The whole, "there is no time in the day to workout" is just a lazy person's excuse.
__________________
MySpace | Flickr | LastFM | Google+



When I’m watching the news and my daughter walks in and choose to ask. “Why were all those people on the floor, sleeping, covered in red?” I told her, that they were looking for God, but found religion instead.
– De La Soul


There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die. -Raoul Duke
BillyBadAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 07:39 PM   #13
Zxanphorian
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
 
Zxanphorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul. 1st, 2002
Location: PA USA
Posts: 4,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBadAss View Post
I really hate the argument "**** I'm fat because I don't smoke anymore." Stop living a fat ass live style. Eat healthy food in healthy portions and do some exercise.
I think it is mainly because they substitute one vice for another. Not really solving the real problem.

Quote:
The whole, "there is no time in the day to workout" is just a lazy person's excuse.
It really is. And I should know.
Zxanphorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
youtub?

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Copyright ©1998 - 2012, BeyondUnreal, Inc.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
Bandwidth provided by AtomicGamer