News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Games > Unreal Tournament Series > Unreal Tournament 3

Old 6th Feb 2009, 07:55 PM   #1
thinsoldier

Unhappy Steam & ut3 file locations

I originally installed UT3 on my D: drive and I put my custom stuff in
D:\Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps
instead of under my My Documents folder.

I did this because I only have 4.7 gigs free on C: and my custom maps and models are over 5 gigs. Then there's the inevitability that other things I install in the future are going to put many gigs of god-knows-what in mysterious hidden places under my My Documents folder without telling me (like adobe everything, google picasa thumbnails and others).

So what I need to know is since I installed ut3 again with steam, where are the actual game files saved and how can I still use a drive other than C: to install my custom maps?

I've got another 2.42 gigs of maps I downloaded ages ago and haven't even installed yet!

Last edited by thinsoldier; 6th Feb 2009 at 07:57 PM.
thinsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Feb 2009, 01:29 AM   #2
BoneofFear
The American Dying Machine

just uninstall the UT3 that isn't integrated into steam and the steam one should read your custom content still in your My Documents/My Games/Unreal Tournament 3 directory.

Short answer:Your custom UT3 stuff will be read fine with the steam integrated install.

Very short answer:YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS dot dot dot

EDIT:Whoops read your question wrong,It's all still in the same directory as they were.But there's another directory created with the default **** (same folders files and all that from the Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3 Directory) in Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Unreal Tournament 3 iirc

Last edited by BoneofFear; 7th Feb 2009 at 01:33 AM.
BoneofFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Feb 2009, 05:32 AM   #3
Dark Pulse
Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinsoldier View Post
I originally installed UT3 on my D: drive and I put my custom stuff in
D:\Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps
instead of under my My Documents folder.

I did this because I only have 4.7 gigs free on C: and my custom maps and models are over 5 gigs. Then there's the inevitability that other things I install in the future are going to put many gigs of god-knows-what in mysterious hidden places under my My Documents folder without telling me (like adobe everything, google picasa thumbnails and others).

So what I need to know is since I installed ut3 again with steam, where are the actual game files saved and how can I still use a drive other than C: to install my custom maps?

I've got another 2.42 gigs of maps I downloaded ages ago and haven't even installed yet!
Just to clarify since BoneOfFear's answers were all over the place:
  • All your custom content, settings, etc. will transfer over to the new steam version. Nothing will change there.
  • The UT3 game files themselves are in Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Unreal Tournament 3.

Dark Pulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Feb 2009, 09:35 AM   #4
Sir_Brizz
More Than Just Mad Skill

He's not using the My Docs location for custom content.

Liandri Archives - A veritable smorgasbord of information about the Unreal series
If Titanic taught me anything, it's to never let go until you're a frozen corpse staring hopelessly into a barren horizon.
Sir_Brizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Feb 2009, 09:38 AM   #5
BoneofFear
The American Dying Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
He's not using the My Docs location for custom content.
Just noticed that (was almost asleep at the keyboard from the first post which I'm sure anyone with half a brain could tell)
Old 7th Feb 2009, 09:40 AM   #6
Sir_Brizz
More Than Just Mad Skill

What I have with this is the content in My Docs\My Games linked to another My Games folder on another drive.

Liandri Archives - A veritable smorgasbord of information about the Unreal series
If Titanic taught me anything, it's to never let go until you're a frozen corpse staring hopelessly into a barren horizon.
Sir_Brizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Feb 2009, 11:00 AM   #7
Dark Pulse
Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.

Well, custom content wouldn't be deleted by the uninstaller, so he should simply be able to move his custom content.

Dark Pulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Feb 2009, 06:25 AM   #8
_Lynx
Strategic Military Services

He'll have to edit configs in the steam version to point at the old custom content folder.

Tags
drive, steam, storage