News • UnrealEd • Files • Mods • FragBU • Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Games > Unreal Tournament Series > Unreal Tournament 3

Old 15th Dec 2008, 03:01 AM   #1
Sammael
Green Greasy Greasel

Assault back in UT3 with expansion pack!

Gamespy confirms!!
Sammael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2008, 03:09 AM   #2
Wormbo

I don't see any confirmation there. Sure, it contains the word "assault", but not "Assault".
<TNSe> nono
<TNSe> its always funny to find code a week later you dont even remember writing
<Pfhoenix> what's worse is when you have a Star Wars moment
<Pfhoenix> "Luke! I am your code!" "No! Impossible! It can't be!"
Wormbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2008, 03:15 AM   #3
JohnDoe641
Killer Fools Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormbo View Post
I don't see any confirmation there. Sure, it contains the word "assault", but not "Assault".
Ya, what wormbo said.

Ci.ctf pdX.tdm
JohnDoe641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2008, 03:26 AM   #4
Grobut
Комиссар Гробут

Yus, that confirms nothing.

But saying..
Quote:
The assault continues in this follow-up expansion to the first-person shooter Unreal Tournament III.
..does make me worry a little that this expansion is still trying to push the "War" theme down our throats, instead of just plain making the game good.

But its barely 2 lines of text written by Gamespy, so if we should really read anything into that, i have my doubts..
Old 17th Dec 2008, 05:31 AM   #5
kafros
F1 manta tryouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormbo View Post
you have to read between the lines
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Assault.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	97221  
Old 15th Dec 2008, 03:33 AM   #6
JohnDoe641
Killer Fools Pro

Well luckily for me, I think that the XPANSION will be a failure regardless of its direction. The game's been out for more than a year iirc and it's still a giant buggy pos and this stupid XPANSION is too little too late imho.

Ci.ctf pdX.tdm
Old 15th Dec 2008, 03:56 AM   #7
iron12

Talk about short and sweet. But the assault continues might be like saying the beat down continues in UT3. or the heck of a good time continues. or the hilarity continues. or the disappointment continues. You get the picture.
iron12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2008, 05:57 AM   #8
WHIPperSNAPper

It's impossible to read anything into that other than that as of now, Epic is working on or at least planning an expansion containing unknown content.
Old 15th Dec 2008, 07:48 AM   #9
GreatEmerald
Khnumhotep

Yeap. And cool, I was the first one to vote in the new PlanetUnreal's poll!
GreatEmerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2008, 10:13 AM   #10
T2A`
I'm dead.

They probably shouldn't call it an expansion but something like a reimagining. That way it would be UT3 but... different... and separate from its terrible first try at being a decent game. D:
T2A` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2008, 11:41 AM   #11
dub

Say... anyone have any info on whether this eggspanshun will be free or not?
I'd be somewhat amused if it was not free.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2008, 11:56 AM   #12
Bort
nou

Quote:
Note: This expansion pack requires the full version of Unreal Tournament III to play.
There goes our hopes for a decent GUI
Old 15th Dec 2008, 12:25 PM   #13
Leo(T.C.K.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort View Post
That doesn't mean it won't have a new GUI....it will maybe have an standalone exe file, just will require you to own UT3 for play.........
Leo(T.C.K.) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2009, 07:00 AM   #14
_Lynx
Strategic Military Services

Quote:
You know, that conclusion has as much foundation as saying the expansion will include assault.

Quote:
Gamespy provide the ****ty online experience so they must know something about the expansion
And all their relation to Epic is that Epic uses their crappy middleware. That's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzbuster View Post
I like Gears, but it made my heart sink to see the promotional material for UT3 tout it as "from the makers of Gears of War."
Can't say it's a bad move - Gears was marketed better then any UT franchise. You can say otherwise, but first GeoW was a quality game, and saying "From the company that brought you..." is a valid attempt to get more people to buy and play the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuLLBLeeD View Post
But when your husband (i.e. Epic) has been cheating on you with the woman from his office (i.e. PS3/360 contards) in addition to beating the **** out of you, I do think it qualifies for a divorce.
Except, being in love is not being married. Fact that there people who bough every PC game Epic released so far doesn't obligate Epic to make only PC games and don't even try to "cheat on them" with consoles.
Old 15th Dec 2008, 12:23 PM   #15
T2A`
I'm dead.

Well, then. Guess it's not UT3's UT2004. D:

So... Just maps and character models?
T2A` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2008, 01:29 PM   #16
JohnDoe641
Killer Fools Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2A` View Post
Well, then. Guess it's not UT3's UT2004. D:

So... Just maps and character models?
The XPANSION will add a new options tab called "Buh" where the only thing on the page is a button for "Ok" which will take you back to the main menu.

Ci.ctf pdX.tdm
Old 15th Dec 2008, 01:41 PM   #17
LG1X

By the way they said "UT3 will be required to use the expansion" makes it sound like it will cost money for sure. If this expansion doesn't have a spectate tab, new GUI/UI, announcer voices, fixes, and new Non Warefare / VCTF game types, no way will I buy it. Something tells me the expansion will be deader than the vanilla UT3.

Not only do new customers have to buy UT3 but they have to buy the expansion now to. Some of the current players of UT3 will probably purchase the expansion while the new customers just pickup UT3 which will further thin out the amount of players online; I wonder if people with the expansion installed will be able to join the UT3 vanilla servers.

If the UT3 expansion was a stand alone like UT2004, more players could buy it without the need to buy UT3. I think this method of releasing an add-on that requires UT3 to be installed isn't the right way to bring in new customers.

But yeah, if the same exact GUI/UI remain when the expansion is installed. I will not buy it for sure.

Last edited by LG1X; 15th Dec 2008 at 01:44 PM.
LG1X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2008, 01:47 PM   #18
Leo(T.C.K.)

Blah blah blah, it doesn't really have to be for money, take U2XMP, it is for free......maybe UT3 will be later rerealsed with this addon as some special edition as was released U2....
Leo(T.C.K.) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Dec 2008, 04:05 AM   #19
DeathBooger
Malcolm's Sugar Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG1X View Post
By the way they said "UT3 will be required to use the expansion" makes it sound like it will cost money for sure. If this expansion doesn't have a spectate tab, new GUI/UI, announcer voices, fixes, and new Non Warefare / VCTF game types, no way will I buy it. Something tells me the expansion will be deader than the vanilla UT3.

Not only do new customers have to buy UT3 but they have to buy the expansion now to. Some of the current players of UT3 will probably purchase the expansion while the new customers just pickup UT3 which will further thin out the amount of players online; I wonder if people with the expansion installed will be able to join the UT3 vanilla servers.

If the UT3 expansion was a stand alone like UT2004, more players could buy it without the need to buy UT3. I think this method of releasing an add-on that requires UT3 to be installed isn't the right way to bring in new customers.

But yeah, if the same exact GUI/UI remain when the expansion is installed. I will not buy it for sure.
I doubt they go the route of making new players buy UT3 and also the expansion separately. Most likely they'll package the original game with the expansion update into a new retail box and label it UT3: Brizz Cheese Edition or something.

They did this with the Editor's Choice Edition of UT2004. It was the original UT2004 with the ECE bonus pack in one box and people who already owned UT2004 could just download the ECE bonus pack.

The only difference this time is that they need to include a lot more than a few vehicles and silly skateboarding maps if they want anyone to actually play it.

Also, don't be shocked if the expansion pack focuses on lol vehakels because people still playing UT3 only play Warfare and VCTF for some reason these days even though DM and CTF is where UT3 shines.
Old 19th Dec 2008, 09:59 AM   #20
rAt.8^].bAg
Don't eff wid Gkublok

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBooger View Post
...because people still playing UT3 only play Warfare and VCTF for some reason these days even though DM and CTF is where UT3 shines.
+1, yeah no one's playing decent maps like Vertebrae.

Tags
brizz cheese, facetious, feces=delicious, reading comprehension