NewsUnrealEdFilesModsFragBULiandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Games > Unreal Tournament Series > Unreal Tournament 3

Closed Thread

Old 27th Nov 2008, 11:07 AM   #1
cosmix
XoXo

Steve Polge about UT3 Expansion Pack

"We've been keeping quiet about our upcoming UT3 plans because we've found it's better not to say anything when we aren't sure of the timing of upcoming releases. However, as Mark hinted, we have been working on a large update and expansion to UT3, and we'll be starting to talk more about it soon."

Found this at VE3D

Most interesting for me is that's an expansion and "a large update". I'm curious about it!
Old 27th Nov 2008, 11:37 AM   #2
Leo(T.C.K.)

I seriously hope it will be not like this guy says:
Quote:
A radical re-working would be nice, or maybe just a graphics update for Unreal Tournament 2004. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy Unreal Tournament III, but the earlier stuff is more enjoyable.
Otherwise it will be worse game for me............
Old 27th Nov 2008, 11:44 AM   #3
rAt.8^].bAg
Don't eff wid Gkublok

Translation:

"It could be vaporware or it could be done...uh...whenever! And it'll never be as good as we hype it to be. (Shhh...!) But ya'll hang in there!"

Last edited by rAt.8^].bAg; 27th Nov 2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 27th Nov 2008, 12:27 PM   #4
JohnDoe641
Killer Fools Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rAt.8^].bAg View Post
Translation:

"It could be vaporware or it could be done...uh...whenever! And it'll never be as good as we hype it to be. (Shhh...!) But ya'll hang in there!"

Yeah, hype sucks and when something is released it's usually an disappointment. I don't really care about any more content, fix the damn game. FIX IT. FFS

Ci.ctf pdX.tdm
Old 27th Nov 2008, 03:40 PM   #5
GreatEmerald
Khnumhotep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe641 View Post
FIX IT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemoGuy
Take it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsOlympus View Post
No hype? We've been hearing it all over the place from Epic people
Oh really? As far as I have counted, this has been mentioned... Three times! Woah! What a hype
Old 27th Nov 2008, 12:29 PM   #6
Wunderbar_007
.Lateral Thought.

Sweet, can't wait

....I wonder how soon is "soon"
Old 27th Nov 2008, 12:37 PM   #7
Raynor.Z
Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus

Quote:
"We've been keeping quiet about our upcoming UT3 plans because we've found it's better not to say anything when we aren't sure of the timing of upcoming releases."
That's the way to do it. No hype, no expectations and no disappointments.

For those willing to build a mountain of bodies
and climb to the top.
In environments that stun.
Against A.I. that kills.
For those willing to stake their lives
in the pursuit of victory...
we salute you.
Old 27th Nov 2008, 01:10 PM   #8
MonsOlympus

No hype? We've been hearing it all over the place from Epic people, then again I guess its because we are in amongst it the people who arnt probably dont have a clue unless they heard it from a UT fan friend.

Id be happy if they kept everything totally under wraps until its out tbh, atleast then it'll hit and if its good it'll hit big, word of mouth will do the rest
Old 27th Nov 2008, 01:23 PM   #9
UBerserker
old EPIC GAMES

I'm being optimist and hope for the "best".
Old 27th Nov 2008, 02:05 PM   #10
MonsOlympus

Well from Epic on PC, who even knows what that is anymore
Old 27th Nov 2008, 03:47 PM   #11
MonsOlympus

Yups 3 times and they rekon they are being quiet about it, we got no clue when its gonna be released it could be a year off (or even more ) so you can guarantee it'd be mentioned more before then. I really hope they keep it to a minimum though, its not like Epic could keep it so secret we wouldnt know till we walk past it on the shelf in the games shop

I do like how this time its said as update and expansion, now I know people could take this the wrong way but to me this means they are working on fixing up UT3 as well as adding stuff onto it.

Im just not sure where I stand with what Epic says these days! If they start doing what they say they are doing/going to do, then this is good news.
Old 27th Nov 2008, 06:55 PM   #12
iron12

"A radical re-working would be nice, or maybe just a graphics update for Unreal Tournament 2004. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy Unreal Tournament III, but the earlier stuff is more enjoyable."

These words are so true. I was the biggest basher of 2004. But I see now it was a very good game and wish they would go back to that style of game.
Old 27th Nov 2008, 07:37 PM   #13
shletten
Shletten

As for me, I have got to admit that I really miss Unreal Tournament 2004. I kind of like Unreal Tournament 3 very much but it really is lacking content: a great interface, many options that are disappeared, more game modes, more characters, more weapons and especially more maps! Seriously, the game feels totally empty and souless and the new story doesn't help, where the hell is the tournament spirit in all that?! The huge amount of content in UT2004 is what made it so enjoyable for me. I do prefer UT3's gameplay over UT2004 though, it feels much more violent and grounded and I really like that, I am also better at it and wish it was more popular but it doesn't feel like a completed game yet. Yet, there are still many modders, custom maps realease every weeks but still there aren't enough players to compensate...
Old 28th Nov 2008, 07:46 PM   #14
Sijik
Snagged an item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron12 View Post
"A radical re-working would be nice, or maybe just a graphics update for Unreal Tournament 2004. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy Unreal Tournament III, but the earlier stuff is more enjoyable."

These words are so true. I was the biggest basher of 2004. But I see now it was a very good game and wish they would go back to that style of game.
This is what I'm most afraid of. UT3 has the most fun UT gameplay I've ever played, and the idea of them turning it back into the nerfed-to-hell, floaty, overly cartoony, mini-me 2k4 style sounds dreadful.
I'll just skip the "update" if that's what they do, considering I spent more time tweaking mutators trying to get back to the UT feel than I actually spent playing 2k4 by the end...

Maybe she's programmed with it; maybe it's Maybelline...
http://pnmedia.gamespy.com/planetunr...1184814317.jpg
The most intrusive, malicious DRM will simply lengthen the period before a game is cracked.
Any pirated version of software will by nature have the DRM removed,
so the only people that could have problems with it are owners of legitimate purchases. So silly.

Last edited by Sijik; 28th Nov 2008 at 07:55 PM.
Old 29th Nov 2008, 08:34 AM   #15
Severin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijik View Post
This is what I'm most afraid of. UT3 has the most fun UT gameplay I've ever played, and the idea of them turning it back into the nerfed-to-hell, floaty, overly cartoony, mini-me 2k4 style sounds dreadful.
I'll just skip the "update" if that's what they do, considering I spent more time tweaking mutators trying to get back to the UT feel than I actually spent playing 2k4 by the end...
Lol, How can you say 2k4 was nerfed when UT3 is a skill-free, feature poor, bug riddled spamfest nothing and more. I can live with either system of movement/weapon balance but UT3 was the game that was 'nerfed-to-hell' not 2k4. Who needs to move or aim well when all you have to do is run around with your finger held down on the RL fire button.

Last edited by Severin; 29th Nov 2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 29th Nov 2008, 09:51 AM   #16
Poker
Anus Retentus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneh View Post
Indeed, a year and a day out makes the decade exactly in fact. You've got to think they have that circled on the calendar, and not just for champagne popping. It just makes too much sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severin View Post
all you have to do is run around with your finger held down on the RL fire button.
um ... ok you need some stiffer competition.
Old 29th Nov 2008, 11:47 AM   #17
GreatEmerald
Khnumhotep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poker View Post
Indeed, a year and a day out makes the decade exactly in fact. You've got to think they have that circled on the calendar, and not just for champagne popping. It just makes too much sense.
What about 1998-2008? Unreal 1? No U3 yet, so I don't think that's the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo(T.C.K.) View Post
Sorry, but no....first you don't even have full UT3 as you said, and about U2, it was officially, yes officially said that the multiplayer was scrapped because of decisions they made with Atari, Epic, Atari, Legend and DE sat down together and came down to that decision, to not cause and Atari had more powerful veta word as they owned Legend(Atari didn't own Epic or DE)..

That means even if they got more time for U2, it was not supposed to have multiplayer and the later phases of developement, since like summer 2002...
So really it proves these changes were made later and it was officially stated during 2002 that they are removing these things and even changing a lot concept of the game, so nobody should have been surprised that U2 = no MP.
You didn't mention Epic. They also voted to take MP out of the game because of their UT2003. But that's not the point. What I meant was that later on they still made U2XMP - but on another branch of the engine! That does mean that they didn't complete it. Plus, what about all the Shian, N, Strider levels? And about Na Koja Abad cutscenes? They didn't have time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealGrrl View Post
whatever happens with this update and expansion... as long as they really wait "till its done" this time we can hope for the best. cant imagine what they are going to do, but I'm hopigng that it can do even 1/2 what 2k4 did for ut2003 in fixing and polishing what is an unfinished game (for PC). thx Epic - looking forward to it!
Agreed! And that's what I'm saying, they must take their time!
Old 29th Nov 2008, 10:04 AM   #18
Sir_Brizz
More Than Just Mad Skill

Quote:
Lol, How can you say 2k4 was nerfed when UT3 is a skill-free, feature poor, bug riddled spamfest nothing and more. I can live with either system of movement/weapon balance but UT3 was the game that was 'nerfed-to-hell' not 2k4. Who needs to move or aim well when all you have to do is run around with your finger held down on the RL fire button.
I don't even know how to respond to this.

Liandri Archives - A veritable smorgasbord of information about the Unreal series
If Titanic taught me anything, it's to never let go until you're a frozen corpse staring hopelessly into a barren horizon.
Old 29th Nov 2008, 10:40 AM   #19
hal
Dictator

Quote:
Lol, How can you say UT was nerfed when UT 2x is a skill-free, feature poor, bug riddled bouncefest nothing and more. I can live with either system of movement/weapon balance but UT 2x was the game that was 'nerfed-to-hell' not UT. Who needs to move or aim well when all you have to do is hop around with your finger held down on the SR fire button.
I've edited your post to reflect the popular arguments between UT and UT2x players when the latter first hit the scene.
Old 29th Nov 2008, 10:54 AM   #20
JEnepas

Quote:

I will answer ...you obviously haven't played much DM against the best players who go 50-4 K-D against other, very good players. I loved Ut2004 but tbf UT3 is faster , it requires a different mindset and it demands 100% concentration (unlike floaty 2k4) if anything,it could be too intense for most people , that's why they stick to other shooters and put down UT3. I agree, it can get way too crazy on certain small confined DM maps when a server is full. However , to characterize it as needing no skill is mad, just spectate some of the best UT3 DM'ers.

It is bug riddled though, that much is true
Closed Thread

Tags
... and cheese, capture the field lattice generator, darkpulse is wrong, dead horse, it wasn't called ut99, potential second beta, sex! sex! sex!, tags are gay, the customer is always right, whining will end in two weeks, whining! whining! whining!, zero time to bad, zero time to whining