News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Games

Old 11th Nov 2008, 03:35 AM   #1
hal
Dictator

Left 4 Dead

I searched, but didn't find a real dedicated thread for this upcoming Source game.

First of all, anyone trying the demo right now or planning to buy it? It's definitely a multiplayer game that I think I might be able to get into.

Second of all, Circuit City is going to be selling it for $39.99 (U.S.) Available 11/19/08 2 PM, which is the best price I've seen for it yet. Even on Steam it's only on sale for $44.90.

I'd love to hear comments from anyone playing the demo.
Old 11th Nov 2008, 03:55 AM   #2
Autopsy
AKA 213

I'm staying awake all night and into the day until the demo unlocks for those of us who are too cynical or smart to pay in advance. I've been anticipating this game for so long now and ith such high hopes.

I know to stay objective and realistic but I'm going to mark out like such a fanboy for this as long as it runs on my system reasonably well!

Last edited by Autopsy; 11th Nov 2008 at 03:57 AM.
Autopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Nov 2008, 04:15 AM   #3
tool
BuFs #1 mom

Ive heard nothing but really good things but im gonna wait for a price drop first. $45 for what is really a half-life 2 mod is a bit much.

The demo for everyone comes out at 10am. Lets get some games going when that happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autopsy View Post
I'm staying awake all night and into the day until the demo unlocks for those of us who are too cynical or smart to pay in advance. I've been anticipating this game for so long now and ith such high hopes.

I know to stay objective and realistic but I'm going to mark out like such a fanboy for this as long as it runs on my system reasonably well!
You are wasting your time waiting around. Its not available until 10am pacific time.
tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Nov 2008, 04:37 AM   #4
Rambowjo
Das Protoss

The game has got some issues with suddenly freezing, but apart from that it's perfect. If L4D is a mod for HL2, then Portal is too.
Old 11th Nov 2008, 04:42 AM   #5
fuegerstef

I will get the public demo when it comes out later today.

If it is good I will order the full game for the 18th.
fuegerstef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Nov 2008, 05:56 AM   #6
Kaleena
Unregistered User

ns

All of my friends who tried it say it's awesome. There was an early access possible for a few people.

I couldn't and still can't try it because steam is blocked by my college firewall, but I should get a new home with a real internet soon. And then, no doubt I'll immediatly get it D:

Last edited by Kaleena; 11th Nov 2008 at 05:57 AM.
Kaleena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Nov 2008, 06:00 AM   #7
Rambowjo
Das Protoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleena View Post
All of my friends who tried it say it's awesome. There was an early access possible for a few people.

I couldn't and still can't try it because steam is blocked by my college firewall, but I should get a new home with a real internet soon. And then, no doubt I'll immediatly get it D:
Proxy.
Old 11th Nov 2008, 06:31 AM   #8
fuegerstef

2.5 hours left for me until it is available.
fuegerstef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Nov 2008, 06:39 AM   #9
Fuzzle
spam noob

I pre-purchased this on steam so I've been having a hell of a good time with the demo. It really is something on it's own, and really can't be compared to a vanilla FPS. It's actually quite similar to Alien Swarm, only without the predictable spawn triggers and more watercooler moments.

Some random screenies:

These tentacle dudes are super ninja and always catch you off guard. You're helpless if a teammate doesn't rescue you
Halp.
We were getting wiped pretty bad, and the last surviving player is being pulled away. Game over, man! Game over!
One of the incapacitated players manages to save him with a pistol, and we manage to get back on our feet.
The game overall feels really polished. Your'e able to tell people's health by their posture and faces.

Some fun places for the witch. She just sits and cries, if you disturb her she gets up and oneshots you.
http://scrap.5elements.net/screensho...subway0030.jpg
http://scrap.5elements.net/screensho...subway0046.jpg
http://scrap.5elements.net/screensho...subway0048.jpg
http://scrap.5elements.net/screensho...subway0065.jpg
Old 11th Nov 2008, 06:54 AM   #10
Rambowjo
Das Protoss

The witch is cruel. I was on a server and we had a total newbie with us. He shot at the witch and she went ballistic. Knocked over the idiot, almost killing him, but about 8 shots from the auto-shotgun, standing right next to her, got her down.

That looks pretty bad though, Fuzzle. Are you running low graphics? My game looks way better.
Old 11th Nov 2008, 07:14 AM   #11
Zaccix
Truth, by Banksy

I've already pre-ordered Left 4 Dead (physical copy, only 20 at Amazon UK). It looks so fun and is one of my "must-get" games this Winter. I'll definitely be playing the demo tonight when it unlocks.

Pittsburgh Penguins for life!
Zaccix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Nov 2008, 08:11 AM   #12
Juggalo Kyle
Sup brah.

I remember seeing this booth set up at The Showdown LANFest 2007, in San Jose, CA. Since then, I havn't seen anything about it.

Does it still have that annoying glow in the wall where your team mates are? Or a map with radar? That idea was very dumb IMO.
Old 11th Nov 2008, 09:20 AM   #13
Rambowjo
Das Protoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggalo Kyle View Post
I remember seeing this booth set up at The Showdown LANFest 2007, in San Jose, CA. Since then, I havn't seen anything about it.

Does it still have that annoying glow in the wall where your team mates are? Or a map with radar? That idea was very dumb IMO.
Yeah, and it's pretty damn useful. Without it, the game would suck, because sometimes you will never know if people are ahead of you or behind you.

Last edited by Rambowjo; 11th Nov 2008 at 09:22 AM.
Rambowjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Nov 2008, 10:23 AM   #14
Twisted Metal
Anfractuous Aluminum

Oh man I had no idea that it's almost out, nor that the demo is out. That's sick!

So how difficult is it? Replay value?
Twisted Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Nov 2008, 07:09 PM   #15
Juggalo Kyle
Sup brah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambowjo View Post
Yeah, and it's pretty damn useful. Without it, the game would suck, because sometimes you will never know if people are ahead of you or behind you.
That's something I found to be unnecessary in a horror game. It would ruin some of the fear factor.

I suppose I'll try the demo.
Old 11th Nov 2008, 01:49 PM   #16
Fuzzle
spam noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggalo Kyle View Post

The concept wouldn't work without it. Part of what makes L4D fun is how streamlined all the information is. The music is used to alert you of incoming rushes or nearby bosses, the facial expressions and postures shows how much health a character has, a character who needs saving will cry it out and be highlighted, and you're always - always able to tell where your teammates are. It all works really well for it's purpose.
Old 11th Nov 2008, 11:39 AM   #17
zynthetic
robot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaccix View Post
I've already pre-ordered Left 4 Dead (physical copy, only 20 at Amazon UK). It looks so fun and is one of my "must-get" games this Winter. I'll definitely be playing the demo tonight when it unlocks.
Share :0
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Left-4-Dead-...6286134&sr=8-1
Old 11th Nov 2008, 07:03 AM   #18
Fuzzle
spam noob

I'm not running AA and I have the film grain on. All other settings are max though except AF which I think is on 4 or something.
Runs at a solid 60, but if I turn on AA it starts bogging down in the outdoor areas. I like the film grain effect in motion, but it looks bad in screenshots.
Old 11th Nov 2008, 07:13 AM   #19
Rambowjo
Das Protoss

Hm, I'm not even sure I noticed that. I will have to examine the settings when I get to my home computer, perhaps take some 1920x1200 screens

Last edited by Rambowjo; 11th Nov 2008 at 07:19 AM.
Rambowjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Nov 2008, 09:02 AM   #20
SlayerDragon
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES

This game looks pretty awesome but I will probably wait for the price to come down. I'll be too busy poopsocking in WotLK to play it anyway
  \_/|/\__/  \/ |__/ \__/  \/
    /|         /|  
    \|         \|
SlayerDragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anime girl says she's scared of zombies, bill, braaains.. lack of., game of the year, go go operation: get behind louis, grabbin' peels, haarg will leave you 4 dead, i hate stairs, i hate the water, i left 4 bread, kantham is mad at video games, l5d, left 4 a better game. jk!, left 4 demoguy, left 4 dildo, left fore play, oh my god i hate canada so much, right 2 live, right 4 living, tag writer is mad at kantham :(, the fantastic 4 dead, you ordered a tank of fail?, zoe, [22:08] <@sir_brizz> [ci]zer0 stop slob