News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Unreal Development > Mapping

Old 10th Jul 2008, 11:41 AM   #1
andynerd

detail question

I was wondering is there anything i can do to say bevel or round or take a chip or dent out of the corners so it looks a little more realistic? I know i should be doing this with static meshes but the only modler i have is blender 3D and all the script plugins to export to .ase make it look small
Attached Images
File Type: jpg door.jpg (104.5 KB, 10 views)
andynerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2008, 01:01 PM   #2
_N_
addicted to mapping

Ah, well remember that you can always make something out of BSP and convert it to a static mesh anyways, so technically, you don't need an external application. It sounds like you're after some geometry that's a little trickier than your average BSP boxes. For that stuff you'll want to use the 2D shape editor.

http://squacky.planetunreal.gamespy....-Tutorial4.htm
_N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2008, 01:04 PM   #3
andynerd

lol thanks thats the same tut i used :P
Old 10th Jul 2008, 01:41 PM   #4
xMurphyx

Size doesn't matter. :P

You can scale it up in the UnrealEd. I don't think Unreal 2 has those handy Draw Scale fields in the lower right corner? You should still be able to scale actors by opening their properties, clicking on Display and somewhere there it should say Draw Scale. You can scale the object along its axes by an faktor. So if you need your model 200 times bigger, just type in 200 at every axis.
Old 10th Jul 2008, 01:47 PM   #5
Wail of Suicide

You can use more brushes to make edges that are less extreme.

Also, in my opinion, you can add "trim" to the doorway and it'll look significantly better without requiring a more complicated shape.
Wail of Suicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2008, 02:19 PM   #6
andynerd

oh another question are there any restrictions in the educational version of unrealed? because when i try to load custom textures i can't run them in the runtime it always comes up with an error saying it can't load the texture even if it is in the textures file
Old 10th Nov 2008, 01:41 AM   #7
Skyydragonn

Quote:
Originally Posted by andynerd View Post
oh another question are there any restrictions in the educational version of unrealed? because when i try to load custom textures i can't run them in the runtime it always comes up with an error saying it can't load the texture even if it is in the textures file
Yes, there are
before you get to involved i'll save you the same toruble I had when i first started out. Maps made with the Learning edition of Unreal Ed will not play on retail copies of unreal tournament.
I'm assuming you own a copy of "mastering Unreal technology" and this is how you got your copy of the Unreal editor? if so I suggest loving the book graciously. Use the CD tutorials to learn the basics but DO NOT build levels with that version of the editor. You'll really want the retail version for map creation if you plan on releasing them to the public.
Skyydragonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2008, 06:06 PM   #8
andynerd

Actually i got the education version from the unreal website. I am right now planing on purchasing unreal tournament 3 the only problem is my computer can't handly the game so in a year or two when my lazy butt earns some money i can buy a new computer XD and thanks for the advice