News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > News & Articles

Old 28th Aug 2005, 02:14 AM   #1
hal
Dictator

Defence Alliance FilePlanet Exclusive

We received word today from the Defence Alliance mod team that they are beginning to make plans for a release:

Well, after a long break of summer for most of our time we are back on track to release DA2.

We are in the process of completing our GUI system that is totally custom and will make the game look and feel better.

The team has probably decided to firstly release Defence Alliance 2 Beta 1 under the fileplanet exclusive section and then a week after a full public release.

We will be releasing more info soon!
Old 28th Aug 2005, 03:16 AM   #2
Selerox
COR AD COR LOQVITVR

Exclamation Bad idea...

When will mod teams learn that they'll only lose peoples' support by whoring themselves to Gamespy?

"There are no Christians, as far as I know, blowing up buildings. I am not aware of Christian suicide bombers. I am not aware of any major Christian denomination that believes the penalty for apostasy is death. I have mixed feelings about the decline for Christianity, in so far that Christianity might be a bulwark against something worse" - Professor Richard Dawkins
Selerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2005, 04:04 AM   #3
beefsack
the authority in beef

is it a restriction of being hosted at planetunreal or is there other incentives?
Old 28th Aug 2005, 04:29 AM   #4
SyK0

damn i think they should use FileFront so much better then FP has waiting lines but half the time theres no lines..... anyways looks like i will be installing UT2004 again cant wait for this mod
SyK0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2005, 05:08 AM   #5
fuegerstef

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefsack
is it a restriction of being hosted at planetunreal or is there other incentives?
According to thr RO team they have gained a lot of players after their FP exclisuvies because of the massive advertising they got from it.

Look at the tiny rests of the UT2004 community that know about these mods anyways... ...some advertising outside the community will help a lot then.

But the posters above me don't care for that as they are sooooo shortsighted that a mod is only good if they can immediately dl it....
fuegerstef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2005, 11:45 AM   #6
Ramm-Jaeger
Tripwire Interactive - President

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegerstef
According to thr RO team they have gained a lot of players after their FP exclisuvies because of the massive advertising they got from it.

Look at the tiny rests of the UT2004 community that know about these mods anyways... ...some advertising outside the community will help a lot then.

But the posters above me don't care for that as they are sooooo shortsighted that a mod is only good if they can immediately dl it....
Well said.
Ramm-Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2005, 04:41 AM   #7
Bazzi
Wearing pink

Seems to be quite common these days to sell yourself out at lamespy.

Next mod, please.
Bazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2005, 06:35 AM   #8
OmEgA[GER]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzi
Seems to be quite common these days to sell yourself out at lamespy.

Next mod, please.
Dito.
Old 28th Aug 2005, 06:04 AM   #9
beefsack
the authority in beef

its not talking about quality though its the principle of the thing, like its more important for them to get the big support from gamespy rather than getting it out to the fans, and while im gonna play it on its merits a week after its out, i can completely understand if some of the ut fans will give it a miss

@SyK0:

the thing isnt that it will just be fileplanet, but it will only be available to paying subscribers for the first week. anyone correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure thats what happens with exclusive releases.
Old 28th Aug 2005, 07:33 AM   #10
JaFO
bugs are features too ...

So what ?
It's only an effing BETA

I think compared to the kind of public that advertising on BeyondUnreal or the Atari-forums gets the Vileplanet-exclusive is certainly a good deal.

I just hope the team does realise that the kind of public they will attract with the exclusive does not have the kind of patience for bugs, unbalanced gameplay and missing features that real fans have. So releasing a beta to these guys (and girls) is going to do more harm than good.
JaFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2005, 04:21 PM   #11
Manticore
Official BUF Birthday Spammer

Arrow ->->->->->->->->->->->->

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaFO
I just hope the team does realise that the kind of public they will attract with the exclusive does not have the kind of patience for bugs, unbalanced gameplay and missing features that real fans have. So releasing a beta to these guys (and girls) is going to do more harm than good.
Generally I would say that this is a "Here we go again" FP/VP thread but the above quote actually makes a hell of a lot of sense...........
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA|aBsOlUt
Guys, please this will not turn into a flame thread. Lets put some facts down, UT2004 community does not have a good reputation of playing mods even though most of them (mods) are super high quality and great gameplay - look at RO.

A week more to wait will do nothing to the rest of the public and will hopefully attract more people to play our mod that we worked hard.

So please dont turn this into a flame thread. Patience and thank you.
One of the only facts that comes up regularly when FP gets mentioned is RO. I would like to know where you sourced the facts about the UT community not liking mods. Personally my experience of this community's reaction to MSUC makes me think otherwise.

This happens every time. RO has its merits but it seems every time there is a FP release it ends up being a thread about how RO is a great excuse for using FP.

This mod isn't RO.

I wouldn't be downloading anything from Vileplanet myself, and there is a difference between flaming and having an opinion....

Last edited by Manticore; 28th Aug 2005 at 04:43 PM.
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2005, 04:34 PM   #12
DA|aBsOlUt
DA GOD

Quote:
I would like to know where you sourced the facts about the UT community not liking mods.
If you read my post carefully again you will notice that I did not use the verb 'like', instead the verb 'play'. A fan might 'like' a mod but will not 'play' it because there are no servers/players online - quite common in UT200x mods.

Now to reply where I got the info/facts about this...Numbers dont lie and all I know is that other MODs in HL/HL2 get higher publicity rather than an ultra-high quality - both in gameplay and graphics - mod such as RO.

http://www.gamespy.com/stats - A good (not the best) source to see some stats.

Thanks for your reply and your opinion.

Last edited by DA|aBsOlUt; 28th Aug 2005 at 04:50 PM.
DA|aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2005, 08:52 AM   #13
DA|aBsOlUt
DA GOD

Guys, please this will not turn into a flame thread. Lets put some facts down, UT2004 community does not have a good reputation of playing mods even though most of them (mods) are super high quality and great gameplay - look at RO.

A week more to wait will do nothing to the rest of the public and will hopefully attract more people to play our mod that we worked hard.

So please dont turn this into a flame thread. Patience and thank you.
Old 28th Aug 2005, 09:31 AM   #14
Mad Max RW
Road Warrior

It's an unfinished beta. Why should anyone outside the community care?

Even if this tactic does draw more players, there is no long term success. Look at Red Orchestra. I can count on one hand how many servers exist for that mod, minus a finger and a thumb. At least they had something finished and solid to play before making the ridiculous gamespy debut.

I for one will pass on this mod.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2005, 09:37 AM   #15
fuegerstef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW
It's an unfinished beta. Why should anyone outside the community care?

I for one will pass on this mod.
Why should we care if you pass on this mod? Any relevant reason you posted that info?

Just wanna know if I am missing something important from your post...???
fuegerstef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2005, 10:49 AM   #16
RichyB
Faceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegerstef
Why should we care if you pass on this mod?
Why should we care about you? Mad Max RW is quite entitled to his or her ipinion and i to will pass on this mod.
Old 28th Aug 2005, 11:04 AM   #17
Yoshiro

Good for you guys and your wonderful boycot. You will not be missed.

I understand that your upset at a valid advertising tactic to a team with few ways to inform people outside the unreal community about their said mod. The Unreal fan sites reach a few thousand players (sorry BU if I am cutting you short, I don't know your true statistics and I love the site ) that still play Unreal Tournament 2004 (many have moved on) and even fewer of them play mods even though we have many fine ones out there. Alien Swarm, Air Bucs, UnWHeel, Red Orchestra, Frag.Ops, and even more still on the way such as Defence Alliance and Tac Ops.

Like it or not FilePlanet reaches millions of gamers. End of story. (and it looks like they are also loaning them a few servers)

Also, those who want to host a server for the mod should get in contact with the mod team on their forums or elsewhere. They will soon be able to point you where you need to go

Pretty, What do we blow up first? - Myn Donos

Last edited by Yoshiro; 28th Aug 2005 at 11:19 AM.
Yoshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2005, 09:50 AM   #18
Majai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW

Look at Red Orchestra. I can count on one hand how many servers exist for that mod, minus a finger and a thumb.
You better mean 8 hands because RO has at least 40 servers online. They might not all be packed all at once, but 40 server admins feel that RO is good enough to spend money on.

I have been waiting for this game to be released i will be putting a server online for it.
Majai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2005, 09:50 AM   #19
DA|aBsOlUt
DA GOD

Unfinished beta or not, this will not change our plans. I have talked with some FilePlanet people and they can host some servers for us as well.

Mad Max that is your decision and there is nothign we can do about it.

Last edited by DA|aBsOlUt; 28th Aug 2005 at 09:53 AM.
DA|aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2005, 12:43 PM   #20
Shambler[Bishop
>Put title here<

I'd love to try this mod but downloading >anything< off of FP is nothing but grief.

As soon this mod is available in a place where it can be downloaded publicly/properly it would be a good idea to notify BU/PU again so those of us interested will download it. (EDIT: IMO if it's just a FP exclusive it need not even be news for the moment)
Shambler[Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote