NewsUnrealEdFilesModsFragBULiandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Games > Unreal Tournament Series > Unreal Tournament 2003/2004

Old 2nd Feb 2004, 06:55 PM   #1
Fire20000

Will it be hard getting used to UT2K3/4?

I'm finally getting a new pc, I used to play UT pretty avidly. are there a lot of new techniques that I need to know in UT2K3 to be good?

btw, its 2.8 GHZ HT, 1 GB RAM, ATI 9800 pro. Will it run UT good?
Fire20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2004, 07:11 PM   #2
Daedalus
I don't even...

are you kidding? UT2k3 will just really really well with those specs. Anyways, yes there are a lot of things different from UT1 and a lot of people bitch about it but IMO, I dont see any HUGE problems with it (except for the reliance more on acrobatics than pure fragging skills) Other than that, it's quite a good game.

BTW UT ran just fine on my 1.33ghz, Radeon 9700 Pro, 256MB of RAM. I'm on a 2.08Ghz Athlon 2600+ Barton w/ 512MB of RAM and the same Radoen 9700 Pro 128MB but with a huge difference in cooling here.

oh and also, since I'm a grammar nut, it's "will it run UT well"
Old 2nd Feb 2004, 08:24 PM   #3
spineblaZe
VFX Extraordinaire

Welcome to BuF Fire20000! Nice Avatar

Like Daedalus said, your machine fine. However, it may be kind of hard getting used to UT2K4 if you have been playing a lot of UT. It has a more "responsive" feel than UT (IMO) and the movement feels a little different. Don't worry too much though. A couple days of harcore fragging and you'll love it.
spineblaZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2004, 08:32 PM   #4
becoming i
Registered abUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by spineblaZe
Welcome to BuF Fire20000! Nice Avatar
It looks like he joined in 2001. Maybe we should say: Welcome to UT2K3!

Oh yeah, 2K3 pwns; you will not be able to go back to UT.
Old 3rd Feb 2004, 08:47 PM   #5
PapaBear
Old. Very Old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming i
Oh yeah, 2K3 pwns; you will not be able to go back to UT.
No joke, I can't go back to UT and play good -- I mean well
PapaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2004, 08:27 PM   #6
Sir_Brizz
More Than Just Mad Skill

yah and give it a couple days at least. Don't count on being the top player after 20 minutes of playing.

Liandri Archives - A veritable smorgasbord of information about the Unreal series
If Titanic taught me anything, it's to never let go until you're a frozen corpse staring hopelessly into a barren horizon.
Sir_Brizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2004, 11:37 PM   #7
hyrulian
Rainbow Brite

I've been beat to the welcome twice!
Anyway, welcome back to BuF™! Never knew you, but looks like you joined a while before I did...

By the way, don't forget about the upcoming Unreal® Tournament 2004, which is hypothetically coming out sometime in the year 2004, we hope...
Old 3rd Feb 2004, 12:00 AM   #8
Thrawn70
Hang-around

Ehehehe, first use of the generic welcome.

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showp...81&postcount=6
Old 3rd Feb 2004, 12:54 AM   #9
hyrulian
Rainbow Brite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn70
Ehehehe, first use of the generic welcome.

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showp...81&postcount=6
I had something like that that I used twice, but I have since forgotten where it was...
Old 3rd Feb 2004, 01:34 AM   #10
spineblaZe
VFX Extraordinaire

mmm truffles.
Old 3rd Feb 2004, 05:44 PM   #11
Sir_Brizz
More Than Just Mad Skill

*drool*

Liandri Archives - A veritable smorgasbord of information about the Unreal series
If Titanic taught me anything, it's to never let go until you're a frozen corpse staring hopelessly into a barren horizon.
Sir_Brizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2004, 07:01 PM   #12
Selerox
COR AD COR LOQVITVR

Exclamation Well, that system won't have a problem :)

UT2003 is a game that "feels" very different to UT. It takes longer to learn and require you to think a little differently about how you fight. At first there can be a big "what the hell is going on?!" thing, but don't worry about it, stick with it, and you'll get the idea. Take some time to get used to double-jumping and dodge-jumping, they'll make you much harder to hit and will make you a lot faster around the maps (don't worry about the more advanced stuff, you won't need it yet). There are loads of short-cuts in the maps that can be used with just the double-jump and dodge-jump, the key as always is to know the map inside-out

One thing you'll notice in UT2003 is that the weapon switch is a lot faster. This means you won't be able to stick with one weapon a lot like in UT, you need to get used to switching to the right weapon for the right situation (a skill I still havn't mastered quite yet ). Just about the only weapon in UT2003 that isn't that useful is the link gun, everything else can be lethal in the right situation. The lightning gun is an awesome weapon at long/mid range, as it the shock rfile. At ultra close range the flak and the bio rifle are highly effective (the bio rifle is a LOT more powerful compared to UT). The flak secondary is very powerful (and great for short range covering fire in team games). Mid range the rocket launcher is still a very versatile weapon, and the minigun is useful for mopping up (but it's less effective than the UT minigun). The shock combo is a little different and uses more ammo.

Adrenaline is a big new feature in UT2003, but it can unbalance games, so a lot of servers have it switch off or limited. Once you get 100 adrenaline (the adrenaline total is in the top right hand of your hud), you can activate one of four combos:

Berzerk: forward, forward, back, back (increase weapon rate of fire, not very useful)
Booster: back, back, back, back (health and armour regeneration, extrememly useful)
Invisibility: left, left, right, right (pretty self-explanatory, can be pretty useful in DM and can cause chaos in team games)
Speed: forward, forward, forward, forward (significant increase in run speed and jump distance, useless in DM, but can massivly unbalance team games)

Once a combo is activated, your adrenaline will drain to zero (and will go to zero instantly if you die while a combo is activated, the worst thing in the world is to be killed just as you activate a combo). Invisibility, Speed and Berzerk will last for a short time and then run out. However, Booster is the only combo that's effects last. If Booster regens your health armour to full, it'll stay full once the combo has worn off, so you don't loose the extra health/armour when the combo runs out (although the regen effect itself won't last). I normally trigger Booster, unless theres a specific reason not to. If I'm trying to return my team's flag in CTF, using Invisibility is a great way to get to the flag carrier without getting spotting

"There are no Christians, as far as I know, blowing up buildings. I am not aware of Christian suicide bombers. I am not aware of any major Christian denomination that believes the penalty for apostasy is death. I have mixed feelings about the decline for Christianity, in so far that Christianity might be a bulwark against something worse" - Professor Richard Dawkins
Selerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2004, 07:53 PM   #13
spineblaZe
VFX Extraordinaire

A very excellent write up, except for:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selerox
At ultra close range the flak and the bio rifle are highly effective (the bio rifle is a LOT more powerful compared to UT). The flak secondary is very powerful (and great for short range covering fire in team games).

Damage-wise, the UT2K3 Bio rifle does less damage than its UT counterpart. However, the UT2K3 Bio is much more useful in my opinion, since the shots travel faster and farther, and still do a good amount of damage. Goo for everyone
Old 4th Feb 2004, 01:26 PM   #14
Selerox
COR AD COR LOQVITVR

Exclamation ph34r teh sn0t r0ck3t!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spineblaZe
Damage-wise, the UT2K3 Bio rifle does less damage than its UT counterpart. However, the UT2K3 Bio is much more useful in my opinion, since the shots travel faster and farther, and still do a good amount of damage.
Sorry, I should have worded that a bit better I meant "powerful" in an overall sense, rather than simple damage. Like you said, it's a far better weapon than the origional Biorifle.

"There are no Christians, as far as I know, blowing up buildings. I am not aware of Christian suicide bombers. I am not aware of any major Christian denomination that believes the penalty for apostasy is death. I have mixed feelings about the decline for Christianity, in so far that Christianity might be a bulwark against something worse" - Professor Richard Dawkins
Old 4th Feb 2004, 05:21 PM   #15
[MUTTS] Hiteche5
Rodney-like

I would say it does take a lot of getting used too. Movement is definately something to work on. Watch some demos supplied by your friendly neighborhood BuF team and look at how the move about a map and dodge fire. Also weapons seem weaker now. When you engage someone you can expect to be fighting the one person longer. The TL got changed allot too. Bots are nothing like humans now. There is a much bigger diffrence in single player than in multiplayer. Have fun and add *BuF to you buddy list to find us.

Sigh
[MUTTS] Hiteche5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2004, 07:36 PM   #16
Renegade Retard
Defender of the newbie

nice work Sel!
Renegade Retard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Feb 2004, 11:46 AM   #17
Thrawn70
Hang-around

Definately wait. Just a month or two away is my guess.
Old 7th Feb 2004, 12:29 PM   #18
Selerox
COR AD COR LOQVITVR

Exclamation No more ltg - shock - shock - ltg crap :)

The UT2004 demo should be out in a matter of days, so it'd better to wait. The weapon switching and certain other things have been slightly changed from UT2003, so it'd be better to start with a clean slate for UT2004.

Last edited by Selerox; 7th Feb 2004 at 12:33 PM.
Old 7th Feb 2004, 02:57 PM   #19
Devastator
What are YOU looking at?

Depends, some places sale UT2k3 for $10. And if you already pruchased UT2k3, you're supossed to get a rebast for UT2k4. wich will make 2k3 almost free.
Devastator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Feb 2004, 03:05 PM   #20
JohnDoe641
Killer Fools Pro

Aw come on. The joke wasn't that bad. :/

:(. . . . . . . . .

Last edited by JohnDoe641; 9th Feb 2004 at 03:07 PM. Reason: I like to edit stuff. ;(
JohnDoe641 is offline   Reply With Quote