Moving Objects

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Who

----
Dec 3, 1999
Trinidad, West Indies
Is it possible to add a brush that can be pushed by the player like how box objects can be pushed.
I tried playing around with the physics and bstatic properties of the brush but the editor crashes when rebuilding. I think it has something to do with the lighting of a movable brush.Can anyone help?

Wanderer

Jul 7, 2000
Not to my knowledge. Somebody else said it was possible AFAIK is that you can only move it towards a predermined place and is no different then any other mover.

This is the time that multi-sized crates are good.

Phenom

Nov 25, 1999
Visit site
Interesting. Thanks guys. I will remember that. If someone wanted to do some coding you could probably modify the grab function (there must be one right?) to do something more interesting.

Phenom

Nov 25, 1999
Visit site
One question. What is the grab key used for and does it have any relation to being able to move and drag things around?

Githianki

Nov 11, 1999
Visit site
The grab key was never utilized nor was the use key.

About moving objects. There are two types. There are what are called mover brushes, which are pre-animated by the level designer to move through a specific set of key frames; and there are objects (specifically meshes) which can have their physics set so that the player can move them around (boxes, etc.). Obviously to use mesh objects you need to be able to make, texture and import models. These are the only ones you can have the player move "free-form". Of course you can use the mesh objects provided in the game too.

Aniamted movers are a different matter, as they are actual brushes that are part of the world geometry. They can be animated to move around (not to change size or shape) by assigning them key frames, triggers, and adjusting various properties. They are "added" into the world using the make mover button and commands. You definitely need to read a tutorial to learn how they work.

To learn how the mesh objects work simply load a level that has moveable crates and examine how they were set-up property-wise.

Wanderer

Jul 7, 2000
Actually while the grab key was never used it still functions. Albeit since it's relatively unknown it's best used for SP situations.

Essentially take any Mover, enable the Mover=>UseTriggered=True. And Object=>InitialState=>TriggerOpenTimed. Now anytime you press the grab key on that Mover it will be activated by it. Kind of turns the player into a neat little walking Trigger /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif