RUNE is FINALLY Coming To Steam!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! I literally cannot stop screaming this from the top of my lungs from a rooftop very high. One of my all time favorite games ever made, Rune, is finally being released by Human Head on Steam. Not only is this happening, but it's happening this Wednesday, June 13th at 10AM Pacific!

It also appears that this release will include Steam achievements, the additional enemies found in the PS2 release, level edits to remove confusing areas or areas that were just hard to get to, and more. You can also select "Classic Mode", which will launch the game in a sort of compatibility mode that lets you play with old, retail version of the game if you so choose.

So, I only have two questions. What about Rune co-op? And what about the next Rune game? As this will be called Rune Classic, kind of implies something new is in the works. Anyway, watch this slightly humorous trailer to tid you over until tomorrow.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
How did I know you would say this? Oh, that's right, because YOU SAY IT IN EVERY FUCKING THREAD ABOUT STEAM!

Right, every time somebody promotes it, I will say my piece against it. Equal representation herp derp. ... Seems to be an appalling (to me) trend here too post OMG look what you can buy on steam as news. Do some of you own stock in Valve? To me it seems that the distribution channel is a byline and not headline worthy.

Yet he has a Steam sig. :)

Indeed steam has been forced upon me. It was required for DS3 and DNF. I still bought retail and not from steam. I put it in my sig because I wanted something to replace the huge banners with my nic.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The thing is, you can't buy Rune anywhere anymore. There was only one not exactly legal way to get it, and even that was a long shot. The fact that you can buy it anywhere now is awesome news.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
The thing is, you can't buy Rune anywhere anymore. There was only one not exactly legal way to get it, and even that was a long shot. The fact that you can buy it anywhere now is awesome news.

I'll grant you that on this one. ... Though I have seen used copies of the original around quite often. Was apparently allot more popular here in Texas then I used too think.

I used to have a hi-res texture pack wonder if steam would nerf it as it directly replaced much of the base game textures.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
So looking at the wiki I gather this game is a third person hack and slash? What is the major draw and why should I give my left testicle to play this game?

If it has Zelda elements then I hand my wallet over immediately.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
[GU]elmur_fud;2564880 said:
I'll grant you that on this one. ... Though I have seen used copies of the original around quite often. Was apparently allot more popular here in Texas then I used too think.

I used to have a hi-res texture pack wonder if steam would nerf it as it directly replaced much of the base game textures.

I doubt Steam would "nerf" it. If anything it is probably handled like the steam versions of Quake.

I installed Rygels High rez texture pack and Darkplaces for the steam version of Quake 1 and it worked like a charm. Obviously the directory will be slightly different since it is in steamapps, but the rest works the same.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
So looking at the wiki I gather this game is a third person hack and slash? What is the major draw and why should I give my left testicle to play this game?
It's all action all the time. There aren't many "puzzle" like things you have to do, you just run and chop hellspawn into bits. lopping off their heads is especially fulfilling.
I doubt Steam would "nerf" it. If anything it is probably handled like the steam versions of Quake.

I installed Rygels High rez texture pack and Darkplaces for the steam version of Quake 1 and it worked like a charm. Obviously the directory will be slightly different since it is in steamapps, but the rest works the same.
It does have achievements, but I'm guessing this is still true.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Played for about 5 minutes and found 4 bugs already :D

1.Subtitles aren't keeping up with the voices
2.Old mans voice was overlapping with other lines during the hero introduction
3.Vsync is off in the advanced options, yet is on in game and introduces major mouse stutter. Turning ON will turn it off and reduce the stutter
4.Cannot change value for minimum framerate.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Yeah there are several issues. They actually literally just pushed a patch and supposedly have another update coming soon.