UT 2k3/2k4 RainbowSix mute would like some testers

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Corporal_Lib [BR]

Brazilian Graphic Designer & Gun Nut {=)
Pfffiiiuuu, gosh, I though it was a copycat... Fortunatly it´s your own work! So, what´s going to be transfered from YARM to TD? The melee attack w/ buttstock? The Thermal and Motion Visions? SplinTer Cell Moves? tactical light and others acessories for the TD guns? ooohhh, I hoped you would enable a Iron Sights view in the next release (the guns are nicely modelled, even in low poly, it could be possible to use their iron sights...) like an unofficial INF 2.9 for UT2K4! :D

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
@CorporalLib[BR]: Mainly just code optimizations and a few fixes for online play will be transferred over. I may also transfer over the new Kabar as I like the new model better than the old one. The melee attacks will not be making there way to TD as that involves reanimating (and rerigging) every single model to allow for melee attacks. I may get around to doing iron sights, but gonna have to remodel a lot of stuff to do that. Are there any weapons you really want to use the iron sights on? I have some code in there to do it, but there some models (namely the mp5s) that don't really look right at the moment with an iron sight view. Depending on the feedbcak I get on the Ledge climbing and rail jumping, I may bring that over to TD (it actually works online reasonably well). Pistol Tac Light, probably not (maybe on a wepon or tow i might though).

Lt. said:
"The requested resource does not exist on this server."​
hmmm, I cant seem to download v136 from this link. SNAFU?
thanks for pointing that one out. I will fix it pronto.

[EDIT] Ok I fixed the link. And since I had a little bit of time on my hands, I went ahead and added the new ledge climbing and rail jumping code/animations. To allow those moves just make sure that dodging is enabled and that Mantling is allowed in the the TangoDown players mutator configuration page. I updated the readme to explain how to do the moves (it is a lot simpler than before). I also fixed (I hope finally) a netcode bug in the smoke 'nades, an online bug wth going prone and getting up, and tweaked some optimizations for online play.

Last edited:

Dr.J

Staying Alive.
Nov 25, 2001
Hong Kong
www.alkdjflakdjfksj.com
i just played TD v136 and im sorry meowcat, but YARM is gonna have to be unplayed for a while. a very long while. but thats because personally, TD v136 is just way way too much fun :) i love it man! i havent tried the splinter cell jumps yet, but all i can say is that weapons rock. not to mention the INF2.75 style gameplay :D i thought this was meant to be a rainbow six mod :p

very very good work man. im in love with TD now more than ever before!

Silver_Ibex

Feb 27, 2001
New Nondescript Delivery Van Deco model

Playing with the TD Warfare Vehicles is fun, so fun that I took the time to make a lowpoly vehicle model I hope could be used with TD and YARM, it is a nondescript Delivery Van, like the type police, terrorists, bombers, and insurgents are fond of using.

It could carry a driver and passenger up front, and four in the back.

The original skin texture was created by MikeK

I made a completely new mesh and adapted the MikeK texture to fit it.

Attachments

• DeliveryVanMesh01.zip
    453.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Van.jpg
    Van.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 32

Corporal_Lib [BR]

meowcat said:
I may get around to doing iron sights, but gonna have to remodel a lot of stuff to do that. Are there any weapons you really want to use the iron sights on? I have some code in there to do it, but there some models (namely the mp5s) that don't really look right at the moment with an iron sight view.

Well, to make it easier for you, it could be this way: CQB Weapons (MP5s, Uzi, Shotties) use the usual TD aiming (Inf 2.75) and for Assault rifles, use the iron sights... it would enable a mixed gameplay, could be fun...{=)

No new weapon nor vehicle for the next release? (I´m not refering to the updated 136, and haven´t played it yet, but will ASAP...

Silver_Ibex

Feb 27, 2001
Found another vehicle model

Went looking for more prefab models that could be used with UT, and found an Emergency Vehicles model pack at Prefablab.

Optimized and converted one of them to an unmarked car usable for a UT mod, though full credits go to the original author of the model, I only tweaked it to run better.

Attachments

• PlainCar.jpg
    PlainCar.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 40
  • UnmarkedCarLowpoly.zip
    67.5 KB · Views: 18

Silver_Ibex

Feb 27, 2001
Idea

Proposal for an improved weapon aim implementation, how Iron sights could work realistically, and still only take a day or two to add into an existing mod.

For starts, a visible weapon is not needed, instead have a weapon with no visible polygons act as a placeholder in the HUD (this is needed since UT2k4 bases a lot of FX off the FPV weapon model)

First person view weapons are overrated; the original Rainbow Six games did not use them.
First person view weapons usually take up a quarter of the screen space, blocking a part of the players view.
For small Mods, modeling detailed meshes and animating them is costly on resources.

The original Rainbow Six games had it right.

So if there is no weapon in view how do we use the Iron sights???

Answer, with a “scope” overlay graphic for the aimed view, using a simple translucent fuzzy silhouettes of the weapons body combined with a solid sharp opaque silhouette of the front sight.

The weapon body silhouette can have a fade away effect like in the pictures, being solid opaque at its very top, fading to completely translucent at the bottom of the screen

So making a new weapon would now only require

A lowpoly pickup and Third person mesh
The “scope view/aimed” outline silhouette textures
Weapon bar Hud Icon
Sounds

When aimed looking down the sight, have the weapon view wobble/drift, the amount dependent upon the player stance (walking, standing, crouched, prone).

Note, when not looking down the weapon sights, to simulate Inf style free aim without a ton of unnecessary programming hassle, and to avoid the unrealistic shotgun spread of Counter Strike style cone fire.
For each press of the fire button do only one aim error-offset calculation (as opposed to the standard UT assault rifle which does a aim error offset calculation for every bullet shot) this would allow for realistic “walking fire” with automatic and burst weapons.

An activated laser sight would turn off the aim error offset calculation.

If you wanted to get fancy, place the sight picture on a sheet mesh and raise/lower it for smooth transitions.

Attached are pictures illustrating how a Ruger .22 and HK MP5 would look when aimed with this system.

Attachments

• YARMIronSightIdea01.jpg
    YARMIronSightIdea01.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 73
  • YARMIronSightIdea02.jpg
    YARMIronSightIdea02.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Dr.J

Staying Alive.
Nov 25, 2001
Hong Kong
www.alkdjflakdjfksj.com
interesting, but if we were gonna go for the rainbow six feel id just take that classic rainbow six crosshair and give it freeaim :)

if the source code is released by meowcat, i think ill be working on the total opposite - model replacements and new animations :D

Silver_Ibex

Feb 27, 2001
When I was helping with the Nights Edge UT mod, from what I observed, the animated first person models where the choke point in production flow, some never made it into the game in time, as each one required so much work to get modeled rigged and animated right.

Then as the UT99 was eclipsed by new more advanced game engines, with the coder/Team leader having completed implementation of the main features he had wanted, the final version was released still missing most of the planned additions to the arsenal.

Nights Edge was a very cool mod, that did not get as much attention it deserved, despite having weapon models that IMHO looked even prettier/flashy then the ones in Inf and other UT mods.

If you do away with the First person model, then weapons that would have been a headache to implement (like chain feed machine guns) become no problem, and matching up and getting an iron sight view to look right/accurate on a 3D mesh is no longer a factor.

Several commercial games have used similar 2D textures for their weapon sight pictures, and have done well and even won awards and accolades.

for example
KS_MP5K4.jpg

1062313411_original.jpg

1076428702_19230_original.jpg

Using an accurate silhouette of the real weapons Sights, is as far as simulating the feel of looking down the real sights goes, just as equal in effect as having the same outline formed by a high poly 3D mesh.

The ease and speed of implementing accurate portrayal of the sights with a silhouette texture, balances out against whatever eye candy advantage a 3D mesh would otherwise hold.

Imagine having say, fifty guns with selectable attachments for each and using a realistic sight picture made from a texture.
Or having five guns without attachments, that formed the same sight picture by using a mesh.

Corporal_Lib [BR]

Hey, Silver....
I´ve just DL and played a bit Night_Edge, and I kinda liked it!!! Thats a pitty it didn´t made through a steady community nor updated to UT2K4 (such mod would have made my dreams come true...{=(
But I got curious about the other commercial game you had screenshot just above (the first pic is from Operation Flashpoint, niiice, but what about the 2 other ones, that resembles the same game)?

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
Interesting idea, and a good point, as playing OFP with the 2D ironsight gave me the same immersive feeling as playing with a 3D mesh in Infiltration, while making the weapon modeler /animator work less heavy.

Another comparison, using OFP and 3rd party weapons just because Earl (the weapon/texture and ironsight maker) did not used a "simple" silhouette, but a more colorfull one.

This, using a camera trick to have +/- the 3D mesh as the ironsight.
testsight9gl.jpg

That, using the ironsight Earl created for his weapon.
testsight26lq.jpg

Honestly, even if the 2d ironsight is not animated , can you say it is less immersive ?
Personnally, i prefer as a player to use an awesome 2D (colorfull or not) silhouette than a 3D mesh limited by the polygons or the texture rendered.

There was a time i prefered the 3D mesh for the ironsight, but having played so much OFP i have learned to prefer the 2D representation of it with the same feeling of being "really" in my virtual hands.

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
Dr.J said:
if the source code is released by meowcat, i think ill be working on the total opposite - model replacements and new animations :D

Well since school is taking most of my time at the moment and I don't think I will have the time to work on TD any more for several months, here is the source code for any interested parties to mess with.

[EDIT] Web publishing from the UW went away, no more TD (or YARM) until I find another place to locate the mod(s).

I only have a few requests for its use though:
1. If you find serious bugs in TD and are somehow able to fix them, please alert me so I can update the main TD files for evreyone (and you will get listed in the credits).
2. Please subclass files or make sure to rename them if you edit them so that there are not name conflicts in any additional content you make. eg: If you want an M16 with true Iron Sight aim, simply subclass the M16 (and m16 pickup), adjust the aim offset vector, put it in its own package an compile it with the other EckGun2k4 packages above it in the ut2004.ini file editor section.
3. If you make any new weapons it is really easy to make them selectable for use in game. Just edit the Eckgun2k4Stat.ini file under the [EckGun2k4.TDGameGearUtil] section. I think the entries are reasonably self explanatory for new weapons or pawn types.
4. If you make new weapon models, make sure to add them to your own model files and do not add them to the existing TD model files (otherwise you would not be able to play online).

if I think of anything else, I will add it. For those interested, Good Luck and Have Fun!

Last edited:

Dr.J

Staying Alive.
Nov 25, 2001
Hong Kong
www.alkdjflakdjfksj.com
hey thanks meowcat :) ill take a look (though im retarded at code) and hopefully learn enough of it to understand how to make stuff for your very cool mod :D .

and for people who think that shifting the weapon on the screen so that youre looking down iron sights is 'hard work for the animator and modeller', i dont animate bringing up iron sights when i work for the inf mod team. duke simply uses code to shift the weapon in relation to the camera so that the weapon is centred and youre looking down the sights. so its not that much work for me as an animator :D how hard it is to do in code though i dont know ;)

Bushwack

Avenged Sevenfold...
Jul 21, 2003
Ohio, NE
Visit site
IM having issues with getting the binds to set up, i cant get them to stay, or even click on them to set the keys i want to use, any ideas?

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
Field Medic, 2d sights are terrible in comparison to 3d.

1. They don't change with lighting
2. They don't change with movement, bob, sway.
3. 2d sights produce a 'break' in the aiming animation when they transition from 3d model to sprint image.

Silver_Ibex

Feb 27, 2001
keihaswarrior said:
Field Medic, 2d sights are terrible in comparison to 3d.

1. They don't change with lighting
2. They don't change with movement, bob, sway.
3. 2d sights produce a 'break' in the aiming animation when they transition from 3d model to sprint image.

I recommend utilizing a translucent silhouette so as to not obstruct the players view any more then absolutely necessary, and to simulate the real life “ghost” effect of aiming with both eyes open.

This translucent silhouette also avoids clashing with varying light levels in game and avoids having to match player hand model and skins, Inf restricted player choice to one generic BDU model type.

This made seamless integration between first person view and character model easy, yet limited the amount of custom character variation to that of head accessories.

A “brake in aiming”, the jump between 3D mesh and 2D image can also be avoided with eliminating the first person view mesh.

Then it is just a matter of raising/lowering and moving the silhouette, as smooth and fancy as the coder wishes to script it.

There is a way with UT2k3 and UT2k4 to set the players view to that of a camera attached to the characters face, see this thread by Beppo.

Last edited:

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
Bushwack said:
IM having issues with getting the binds to set up, i cant get them to stay, or even click on them to set the keys i want to use, any ideas?

Hmm... Well I guess try uninstalling TD (using setup.exe in the UT2004/system directory) then reinstalling. Another thing to try is to play a normal game without TD and specifically select a standard UT2004 character. That should reset the pawn type.