TOO Much Dodging a bad thing?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JiNsTA

May 3, 2004
I am new to UT2K games, and I heard dodging was important to practice to be a good player. But I dodge/dodge-jump like a man on fire and still get lit up and ripped to pieces... What am I doing wrong? :(

eLy

Mar 18, 2003
Visit site
not quite sure "how" exacly you dodge, just to make sure,.get a demo from some good players at cached.net.

and also remember that dodge-jump can also be very deadly in an infight, since your opponent will know exacly where you're gonna land,...where his secondary flak is gonna be placed =)

other than that....keep dogding

JiNsTA

May 3, 2004
Please help me.. I dont know what else to do if i get into close range confrontations! I dont see what else I could do to avoid getting hit if i cant dodge all the time...

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
JiNsTA said:
I am new to UT2K games, and I heard dodging was important to practice to be a good player. But I dodge/dodge-jump like a man on fire and still get lit up and ripped to pieces... What am I doing wrong? :(

Just keep practicing, you'll learn how to get it right. It takes a while to get a method of dodging established.

m&ms

Melts in your mouth, not in your hand.
Jul 13, 2003
in a bag....duh
Visit site
just dont dodge straight into your opponent and you'll generally be fine ;)

if you really want it checked out you should record a demo of yourself and have someone look at it for you

Bonzo_Dog

Feb 20, 2004
JiNsTA said:
Please help me.. I dont know what else to do if i get into close range confrontations! I dont see what else I could do to avoid getting hit if i cant dodge all the time...
One thing you can do -> is weapon priority, for close combat you need spam weapons, like the FlakCannon, its no good having the rocket launcher for close combat,
weapon types
Hit Scan = sniper or pulse guns or minigun
Spam = Flak , Sludge -ect:
Splash Damage = Rocket launcher, Shock Rifle ect:
so get your weapon priorities the way you want them
hope this helps,

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
JiNsTA said:

Make sure u don't dodge all the time, if u do u get predictable, and that's a bad thing. Like Ely said, skilled players will know where u land when u do a dodge/jump (since it's always the same move.)
Combine dodges with jumps and normal movement.

Other than that, watch demo's of better players, and keep practicing.:)

DeDpoet|BuF

Only this, & nothing more...
Dec 6, 2001
Mularn
Visit site
the RL is fine for close up. There are plenty of times i've been able to send a rocket into an opponent's face. just be careful with the splash damage.

JiNsTA

May 3, 2004
Ah, ok. Should I stop dodge jumping and do more normal dodges, and is double jumping a good maneuver?

JiNsTA

May 3, 2004
Yeah, it helped some knowing how to adapt to the opponents weapon and reacting accordingly

Bonzo_Dog

Feb 20, 2004
JiNsTA said:
When using a rocket launcher for close combat, your just as much likely to blow your self up, think about it! like its no good taking a pot-shot at some one who is far away from you with the Flak, learning the shock combo is a must,
at distance use Hit Scan weapons thats what they are for.

DeDpoet|BuF

Dec 6, 2001
Mularn
Visit site
JiNsTA said:
Ah, ok. Should I stop dodge jumping and do more normal dodges, and is double jumping a good maneuver?

dodge jumping and double jumping in moderation, imo. Like people said before - good players can easily predict where you'll land (little movement control when in air). But at the same time, it's good to mix things up. I try to dodge more than dodge-jump / double-jump. But that doesn't mean I never double jump.

I second eLy's advice to watch demos of good players (or even spectate a good player on a dm server).

DeDpoet|BuF

Dec 6, 2001
Mularn
Visit site
Bonzo_Dog said:
When using a rocket launcher for close combat, your just as much likely to blow your self up.

just gotta keep calm with the RL in cqb. You blow yourself up when you shoot the wall next to you, shoot your feet, or shoot your enemy when you're doing a millie-vanillie body check (which I don't recommend).

JiNsTA

May 3, 2004
Should I aim for the feet/legs rather than shooting the ground near their legs then?

Bonzo_Dog

Feb 20, 2004
JiNsTA said:
Should I aim for the feet/legs rather than shooting the ground near their legs then?
Hit Box , every bot or player has a hit box, when using the flak -aim for the chest and head area, the rocket launcher is a splash damage weapon so aim low at their feet or anticipate where they will be after you release the shot, aim at where your apponent is going ! not at where he/she is