UE4 To Abandon UnrealScript, Empower Kismet

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Leak

Sep 1, 2008
Linz, Austria
So they probably went and "simply" integrated LLVM and Clang into the engine.

Sure, why not? If it's good enough for Apple, Intel and nVidia to use it as an OpenCL compiler or for Apple to compile all of Mac OS/iOS with it it should fit into a game engine just fine.

np: Leftfield - Inspection (Check One) (Tourism (Disc 2))

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Good points!
...Kismet in UE3 is sort of visually messy. All those lines, in and out, crossing each other, when scripts getting complicated, the whole set looks really messy and creepy. Sometimes I feel the same when editing materials in UE3.
This is the downside of visual interface. But this is also hugely depending on the design of the interface.
If it is visually messy then your design sucks. Debugging and maintenance will be hell.
You might want to look at better building blocks instead (which is where you'd be looking at C++/UnrealScript).
// ---

I wonder if interfacing with the OS will be easier now that C++ is their scripting language.
It's definitely a good idea that they've scrapped their custom-language as that scripting-engine must have been pretty high maintenance.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Bah. I don't like C++. I only like to work with UnrealScript, hell even just plain C variant would be better. Screw this then and that new Kismet stuff too, will just be for dumb modders who cannot write even a simple line of code and who just want it easy, soon there will be hundreds of trash/lookalike mods among it and will be hard to distinguish some real quality from the rest. lol
C++ is only the standard for native development... I don't know why anyone would prefer plain C. Just becasue c++ is a more common langauge doesn't mean all mods are going to be trash.

It's easier whether you're new or a professional. Making something hard due to bad design or just for the sake of being hard is the silliest thing I've ever heard.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
C++ is only the standard for native development... I don't know why anyone would prefer plain C. Just becasue c++ is a more common langauge doesn't mean all mods are going to be trash.

It's easier whether you're new or a professional. Making something hard due to bad design or just for the sake of being hard is the silliest thing I've ever heard.

I did not quite mean it that way, I meant that the mods can be trash if made only with the new kismet/and someone who has no idea what he is doing and this approach will attract many more of people like that. It's fine if it's for native developement but elsewhere I rather not see C++ being used. Why can't there be more options or a code converter or something then? C++ certainly doesn't mean just "easy" for me and I don't care about the standards really. I mean okay it is kinda step forward, but yet step back in many ways, it could be made more compatible with all kinds of stuff with better approach and the optionality of having also unrealscript perhaps, or instead dumping it and replacing with something better instead. But just going to C++ only seems kind of dumb.

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
The wall (setting up a project, using a compiler, ...) may have been removed with the Kismet approach, but the wall was never a good "talent filter" to begin with, if that's what's bothering you. :B

Kismet, C++, UnrealScript; the core of programming is about logical thinking, details, and context awareness. Some people enjoy the control, others shy away from it. It may also be about time well spent on primary skills (graphics, music, modelling, programming, ...).

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
No, it never was a talent filter per se, but you see, this might attract people who would never venture into coding before and people who would have no idea what they are doing, yet it can also open door for level designers who just want to have some custom scripted actors in their maps and who would be unable to do with unrealscript or C++, but yet it probably won't be as decent or complex as if a real coder took on that job. But for something not so complex it is good I guess, I just don't like the visual interface of it, that's all, so i would rather prefer to code it the old way.

As for the "primary skills", I guess BSP crafting/level design is no longer considered a skill because everything is meshes now, sure you can reuse stock static meshes but you can only go that way for so long and never can create something new from scratch unless you have modelling skills.
Unless when doing the "low poly" kind of stuff, like the HOLP packs for UT3 or 20 brush level design contest etc.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
We'll have to reserve judgement until we see how it works. This is similar to how UEd 1 (and 2 and 3 I think) let you click on an actor and view/edit the code behind it.