Unreal Engine 3.0 (GDC) Movies

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Four shaky-cam videos of the Unreal Engine 3.0 demonstration from today's Game Developer's Conference can be found at 1 Up. The videos are available in low-res Windows Media, high-res Quicktime, and streaming formats.

The first revisits some of the shader effects and offers a few peeks at some new ones. The second shows off some very cool physics maneuvers featuring a sphere and an elaborate series of machines. The third features particle and physics interaction. Finally, the fourth places you in a mindblowingly detailed and large city, first driving through and then flying - demonstrating the "seamless" level loading.

UnRealist

Lame_and_inaccurate_flak_ spammer!
Feb 14, 2004
Lublin, east of Poland
fuegerstef said:
I don't care if it runs on YOUR PC, as long as it runs on mine... :)

LOL! ;) Good piont... :p

Anyway - it ran pretty smoothly during whole demonstration (with few small hitches) so it can't be as hard to run it on modern hardware... :rolleyes: I still think I should upgrade though...

As for the presentation itself - the most impressing thing for me was the physics engine demo... :eek: I see those barricades in CTF modes already... :p :D

Jul 26, 2003
Australia
Aside from the the quality, the fact you can't hear what the guy's saying, and it sounds like half of the audience is dying of lung cancer or something, great demonstration!

FluXs

old skool
Feb 12, 2002
United Kingdom
*waves goodbye to Source Engine...

TEH WOOTAGE. Now make UT3 on this baby Epic.... Just from the videos I can see UT on this engine being more like from the good old days of UT99

Israphel

Sim senhor, efeitos especial
Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
OMFG :eek:

That looks awesome..the level of world detail in that 4th demo was astonishing....I can imagine playing Onslaught in a city environment like that. Although, perhaps even a new gametype could be developed to take full advantage of environments like that.

I'd better start saving up for a new computer. My present one may well run the new engine, but what's the point of running something as gorgeous at that at 15 fps or whatever it is I'd get. I want to be able to play this properly.

How much time do I have to save up?...a year to 18 months I guess.
Oh Lordy, I hope they do UT3 on this.

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
Well, these previews never look as good in real life situations as they do in the demos - but it's still obviously drool worthy.

Is Epic making a UT3? They're being awful cagey about their next Unreal lineup. Maybe UT is going the way of UC, and Epic will concentrate on a pure Unreal 3 title for 2006.

[IMD1]KillRoy

Suck my boomstick!
Somehow, the last demo reminded me of starwars episode 1 in sort of way...

Can't wait to walk those streets, It'll be perfect for a realistic future shooter!
Like MOHAA and stuff, but then set in the future. No arena's and stuff, but realistic city's like in the 3rd demo...

Massive online play...

OMG! this is gonna be sweet!! I'm saving right now till 1Q 2006 for my new computer that will be top notch for this game!!

EvenDarkerBOB

Aug 19, 2004
Grreat! Now that we have the graphics part doing good, they can start improving other parts of them games. What other parts? you ask.
Like AI and stuff. Id love seeing AI improving as fast as pronographics do. Maybe future games will even have better stories. Or will they... :hmm:
Judging from your reactions better prngraphics is what The People want.

$$$$ --> Nvidia & Ati

UnRealist

Feb 14, 2004
Lublin, east of Poland
EvenDarkerBOB said:
Grreat! Now that we have the graphics part doing good, they can start improving other parts of them games. What other parts? you ask.
Like AI and stuff. Id love seeing AI improving as fast as pronographics do. Maybe future games will even have better stories. Or will they...

$$$$ --> Nvidia & Ati

Yeah, it's sad that the improvements are almost only in form, not in the games themselves... :( And putting everything in massive multiplayer is IMHO not very good idea - it's rather a way of saving yoursel the trouble of inventing some good storyline... :rolleyes: I really hope that Unreal 3 WILL NOT be a MMOG... :hmm:

TomWithTheWeather

Die Paper Robots!
May 8, 2001
Dallas TX
tomwiththeweather.blogspot.com
EvenDarkerBOB said:
Like AI and stuff. Id love seeing AI improving as fast as pronographics do. Maybe future games will even have better stories. Or will they... :hmm:

$$$$ --> Nvidia & Ati

They haven't forgotten about AI and such. Every sub-system in the UE3 has been revamped. AI just isn't as "visual" as pretty graphics and how it's used varies greatly from game to game. One game may not require incredible AI, whereas the next game does. Unreal has always had really good support for complex AI, but it's still mainly up to the licencee as to how to actually use it.

Kifa said:
Yeah, it's sad that the improvements are almost only in form, not in the games themselves... :( And putting everything in massive multiplayer is IMHO not very good idea - it's rather a way of saving yoursel the trouble of inventing some good storyline... :rolleyes: I really hope that Unreal 3 WILL NOT be a MMOG... :hmm:

How do you know? You haven't played any of the games using UE3. And UE3 is not specificly an MMO engine. You can create many types of games with it, one of which could be an MMO. And everything you said about story is wrong. If anything, with UE3 apparently being much easier to use, more time can be devoted to improving the story/immersion aspects of a game. Cut-scenes and the like are now much easier for the designer to create. The improvements are not only for visuals.

Besides, a lot of game's storys are bad, not because all the time was spent making pretty visuals, because the story of the game was bad from the beginning. HL2 was so good because they actually had a professional tv/movie script writer do the story, if I remember correctly.

Caravaggio

Custom User Text goes here.
Oct 2, 2002
US
Visit site
I couldn't understand a damn word he was saying but watching these videos is akin to what I can only presume it the sensation of being blown by god himself...

ew.
Anyway, is it me or is the major system strain on the current engine really in the amount of action onscreen and not so much the visuals? It used to be the other way around but if it keeps reversing the ratio like this then I have to wonder how many characters we'll be able to get into that pretty world they're putting together.

I wonder if anyone is already making a mod for this, seems like you'd have to start now to get it out anywhere near after the release of whatever the next unreal game is.

UnRealist

Feb 14, 2004
Lublin, east of Poland
TomWithTheWeather said:
How do you know? You haven't played any of the games using UE3. And UE3 is not specificly an MMO engine. You can create many types of games with it, one of which could be an MMO. And everything you said about story is wrong. If anything, with UE3 apparently being much easier to use, more time can be devoted to improving the story/immersion aspects of a game. Cut-scenes and the like are now much easier for the designer to create. The improvements are not only for visuals.

I know, I know... I'm just afraid that it could be another Unreal 2... :rolleyes: But agreed otherwise. :) I really hate myself being so n00bish at times... ;)

TomWithTheWeather said:
HL2 was so good because they actually had a professional tv/movie script writer do the story, if I remember correctly.

Marc Laidlaw (if I remember correctly) :D

FluXs

old skool
Feb 12, 2002
United Kingdom
crapping hell again, this is too good...

However I would like to see some more outdoor videos of the terrain. That sea in the video is bloody ace with the light reflecting, I hope thats in the map and not just in the skybox. The city map reminded me of LOTR....

Edit:

After watching the physics video. Can you imagine playing CTF with a flag that does that? :D

Also picking up the burning torch and using it as a Light aid was cool.... those physics are really something, much better than HL2

Last edited: