Pennsylvania,what the heck is your major malfunction?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
A friend of mine from PA told me that where she lives schools are open for veterans day!What the hell?She further explained that they get off for the first day of hunting season.WTF?I was slightly confused untill she reminded me that PA is not really a state,but a commonwealth.So look out folks,New York has decided to send in the national gaurd and "re-Americanize" your values :D :D

I did all of my schooling in PA, and not once did I have off for the the first day of hunting season. Veteran's Day was always a holiday. Different regions celebrate different holidays. Much of New England (Massachusetts in particular) closes on Patriot's Day, for example.

So chill.

ben harkins

Mar 29, 2001
Visit site
Originally posted by The Dopefish
Massachusetts is also a commonwealth.

And NH doesn't get Pats Day off. :(

Haven't we already established that nothing good can come out of this whole New Hampshire thing.:p

I'm thinking contraction. We'll keep the Twins and disolve New Hampshire.:D

el Gato

Has-Been
Jan 19, 2000
outside Raleigh NC
com·mon·wealth (kmn-wlth)
n.

1. The people of a nation or state; the body politic.
2. A nation or state governed by the people; a republic.
3. The official name of some states in the United States (Massachusetts, Pennsylvania,Virginia and Kentucky)
4. Used to refer to a self-governing, autonomous political unit voluntarily associated with the United States, namely, Puerto Rico and the Northern Mariana Islands.

All Commonwealths are States, but not all States are Commonwealths.

I'm a PA resident since birth. My schools always had Veterans' Day (Observed) off, and the first day of hunting season. Hell, even if they did have school the first day of hunting season, only 1/4 of the school would show up. :)

Zen, where does this friend live? Maybe it's a charter school she's talking about?

Sam_The_Man

I am the Hugh Grant of Thatcherism
Mar 26, 2000
England
Visit site
Am I missing something here? Remembrance Day was on a Sunday.

Or is Veteran's Day completely different, and not held on the 11th of November? If not, when is it held, and why then instead of the day the armistice was signed?