Windows 8 Preview is live

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I've heard mostly good things about it, but I really don't feel like learning a new system as of yet when Win 7 is still so new and won't be dropped from support in any near future and with Win 8 providing nothing new to desktop browsing. I'm excited about it for tablets, as it is a full OS that is properly scaled down, rather than the bloatware of other Windows tablet interfaces or the stripped down, barebones of iOS or android; but I don't feel like wasting my time on it until consumers and patches finally figure out the desktop v metro divide for me through trial and error.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
This is crap. It just doesn't work well with kb/m. I can't understand anyone excusing how poor of an experience it is. People keep saying "You can use your computer in desktop mode full time, just make shortcuts to your apps and never click the orb" well this is stupid. What's the point of turning almost 20 years of basic UI on its head for something so awful? They are going full bore into Metro and I am personally hoping it crashes and burns.

Will not be upgrading.

Gambit84

Oct 17, 2004
This is crap. It just doesn't work well with kb/m. I can't understand anyone excusing how poor of an experience it is. People keep saying "You can use your computer in desktop mode full time, just make shortcuts to your apps and never click the orb" well this is stupid. What's the point of turning almost 20 years of basic UI on its head for something so awful? They are going full bore into Metro and I am personally hoping it crashes and burns.

Will not be upgrading.
They went full metro. You never go full metro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgHITc1OL-c

25041_1_468.jpg

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
I'm downloading it now and should have it in a virtual machine in about an hour. I'll report back after.

EDIT: The 64bit copy is running fine in Virtualbox, but I can't get the virtual network adapter to show up in device manager. So, no internet.

But yeah, this sucks. Metro can fuck off and die.

EDIT 2: Nevermind, got networking to work. You have to set the virtual network to 'bridged adapter' and use the Intel PRO 1000 Desktop virtual adapter.

Last edited:

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Wow. Looks like Windows 7 is going to be the new XP and 8 is going to be the new Vista.

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
I'm downloading it now and should have it in a virtual machine in about an hour. I'll report back after.

EDIT: The 64bit copy is running fine in Virtualbox, but I can't get the virtual network adapter to show up in device manager. So, no internet.

EDIT 2: Nevermind, got networking to work. You have to set the virtual network to 'bridged adapter' and use the Intel PRO 1000 Desktop virtual adapter.

How did you get it to work in Virtualbox? When I try to start up the installation, it says "Your PC needs to be repaired."

Edit: I had to enable VT-X on my bios. Installing it now.

Last edited:

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site

Yep just as I thought. The translation of Metro from a mobile interface to a desktop interface fails on so many levels. It is way less intuitive.

Also no start menu?!?

I'm going to sit this one out and wait for a (hopefully) better Windows 9.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
This is crap. It just doesn't work well with kb/m. I can't understand anyone excusing how poor of an experience it is....
This and the rest of your post doesn't surprise me.
I remember a statement saying Win8 is supposed to be an all-encompassing OS for mobile/tablet/desktop, 2 somewhat similar systems and 1 completely different one

Arnox's comment about Win7 = Xp and Win8 = Vista is probably gonna be accurate

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Win7 = Xp and Win8 = Vista is probably gonna be accurate
Actually, I'm OK with this. Windows 7 actually does a lot of things right and I have no beef with it currently. So, it can definitely fill the role of the old, trusty Windows OS pretty well.

DarkEmperor

Buried By The Dead
Mar 22, 2002
Visit site
Reminds me of Gnome 3 unholy mess...

Quoting Torvalds "If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will use it."

Last edited: