Fileplanet closing down?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
http://www.fileplanet.com/

I know many people disliked the site but it has got more decent in the later years without the incredible waits and stuff. But apparently it's closing down and I only got to know now? I remember there is some stuff there for Unreal that isn't avaiable much anywhere else or even being sparsely around. Someone should archive the stuff.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Yes it is closing down. Thick irony as Vileplanet was the biggest reason BeyondUnreal broke off from PlanetUnreal.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I never knew why people hated Fileplanet so much.

seems like whenever I've had to use it, their free servers yielded high download speeds and there was never a wait time.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I never knew why people hated Fileplanet so much.

seems like whenever I've had to use it, their free servers yielded high download speeds and there was never a wait time.
Then you were lucky. Or only ever used it in the last 3-4 years.

Back around 2000, they were consistently slow, had long wait times, and ads out the wazoo. This also came with a push to get more advertising on planet sites and abandon independent forums for ForumPlanet, which was and still is literally one of the worst forum softwares ever created. FilePlanet simply represents a time in GameSpy's life that was not very good.

dinwitty

DeRegistered User
Nov 10, 1999
midwest,USA
www.qtm.net
It has a huge repository, but a lot of that comes from the early better years.
I remember some site with Unreal mods but I have totally lost links (not FP/IGN)
maybe a wayback machine search will clunk my brain waves, I recall it had some nalicow mod and some curious unreal goodies.

I held my Vortex NaPali site on PU till the kicked them all out, somebody nabbed and backed it up, thanks to them, I'll refind the link, but my files are backed up.

Still waiting for a BU linkup, I asked a few times.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Yes it is closing down. Thick irony as Vileplanet was the biggest reason BeyondUnreal broke off from PlanetUnreal.

Not really irony, more like just plain karma.

But yeah, whenever I was looking through a mod site or something and got to the downloads and just saw fileplanet mirrors/links I dreaded it.

Then I found FileFront and fell in love.

Fuck fileplanet. And that's not even considering the politics, which I have no idea of, I just hated dealing with their downloading system and exclusive bs and sometimes I remember not even being able to download something without registering. Wtf?

Anyways, shouldn't this be in Gaming? Well I guess not for the back-up-old-Unreal-stuff part, but even then, more attention and traffic!

Last edited:

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Wow, all this BU vs. PU discussion brings back a lot of memories.

I always hated FP from the very first time I used it back in 1999. Back then I was going by the oh-so-original nickname Skaarj_Lord. During that same year Skaarj_Lord's Map Design was hosted by PU, but I think that was before GameSpy got greedy?

In any case, Skaarj_Lord's Map Design ended up at Unreal Nation not much later and stayed there until U.N. closed down or I started going by DarkED (I don't honestly remember.) Around that time I was also heading up work on an Unreal mod called The Turn of the Century with a few people. We got featured on WoD but we weren't able to find enough people to finish it.

I really miss Unreal Nation. Hell, I really miss lots of things from the old days.

:(

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
I also always hated FilePlanet. Alsways had complaints about it I didn't have with other file hosters back in the day.
Still a shame they are closing down, because there still might be files of old games that might not be anywhere else to find anymore. At least UnrealSP.org are backing up their stuff.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Still waiting for a BU linkup, I asked a few times.
Hey dinwitty, I guess the short answer is we're just not hosting anymore. We ourselves are hosted by gaming site Atomic Gamer now. All of the sites that are already tucked away in folders remain but it's simply too big of a headache from our end when they get abandoned and eventually end up broken. Not to mention storage is now more of an issue since we aren't using our own hardware.

I'd certainly love for BU to be a landing point of sorts for all those great sites and mods that seem to be dropping off daily. There's a ton of killer content that has been lost and still is in danger of being lost forever. We just don't have the resources to make that happen. I would want for us to be back on our own box, in a rack with a host we have more access to, and in a financial position where we can ensure those things are maintained without having to rely on charity or personal funds.

Ultimately, I think we took the best course of action given our choices. ForumPlanet would have been a disaster and all those sites that ended up having to leave PU would have been scattered and likely lost. At least we were able to support the community through the last UT game.

Things may change in the future... we'll see.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
I know many people disliked the site but it has got more decent in the later years without the incredible waits and stuff.

Which is probably the reason it closed. It was such a pain in the old days that people probably got over it and moved on.

It's a shame that BU doesn't provide an archive anymore such as the good old NC; but that's the way it is.

It looks like Mapraider and Unreal Playground are part of a dwindling bunch of sites for old school Unreal/UT stuff.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
You can still get our archived files from AtomicGamer.

homer_woohoo.jpg

BU keepin' it (Un)real. :rockon:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
The problem is, even if the whole fileplanet unreal section gets archived, there were also unsorted files, from various planetunreal/whatever subsites. Like the Conquer the base was stored in fileplanet but not right in unreal cathegory so unless you had a link you had vague chance of finding it. Speaking of which, the later builds of CTB seem to be lost forever too (there was ctb12a and further even, the only version we have is 10a).

I am definitely not happy about it closing down, yes it used to be pile of shit, I downloaded from t back then, like 2001-2004 using dial up and it was a pain and i didnt even download anything large.

Last edited:

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
Anything you want to salvage or hoard, should be uploaded/mirrored at "UT-Files"
http://news.ut-files.com
It is by far the easiest site to navigate, and already has shed-loads of goodies.

Or if you have lots of files related to a particular mod, then add them to the collection at ModDB. (e.g. I added the missing final versions of "Hamsterbash")
If a mod is not there, then put it there :)
http://www.moddb.com/company/epic-games

Status
Not open for further replies.