SKyboxes..

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Farbs

NaliRabbit trainer
Mar 28, 2001
Australia
Visit site
Block the view with geometry -> it's the only option. If UT had fog then perhaps you could use it to block view-level and below... but it doesn't, so you can't.

This'd be one of the many reasons that all "outdoor" levels that feature in "indoor" games happen to be in canyons and gullies. It's a bastard.

Mind Maze

May 6, 2001
Visit site
I can´t belive, unreal had fog but UT doesn´t?

Hmm... You can build a skybox with very high heigh and place lights so the bottom won´t have light to see it.

Last edited:

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
UT has fog...but it's rather called volumetric lighting.

It doesn't block your view so the polys behind are still rendered plus it eats framerates for breakfast.

They are looking for distance fog which helps performance, because distant geometry isn't rendered, it "fades into the fog"...it's especially useful on large scale terrain.

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
Well you could try the following..my current map had issues too and this is what I did. (Not my idea, saw it in another map) THis'll probably only work in night time maps.
Keep the floor of the skybox black. Then give the floor of your terrain the texture needed. Near the ends of the level don't put any lights so it gives a fade to black effect.
Dunno if it helps. GL.