what are some awesome games that are available in japan but not america?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BlueSniper

if today was yesterday, what's tomarrow?
Mar 6, 2001
My sister is in korea and she can make a quick trip to japan to get any videogame I want that is available there. is there any games there that wont be comeing out here for at least a few months?

itskeiagain

Adept
Mar 12, 2001
Well, I selfishly assume that your question is directed to me since I live in the Land of Rising Sun:D

Well, to tell you the truth, I don't really know what you HAVEN'T got in the US, so I'll just make guesses as I go.

Exterminator - kinda like RE, 3rd person view and fight monsters

Devil May Cry - won't be coming out till this summer but it looks awesome, 3rd person view, action, monsters
http://www.capcom.co.jp/devil/

Dino Crisis2 - sequel to Dino Crisis

GT3 - the greatest driving/racing sim

But you must be aware that there is a little something called "Nihongo"

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
Well, first I've got a few questions...

What console do you own (I'm assuming PS2)?

Do you have a mod chip installed in that console to bypass the regional lockout?

Do you have a basic understanding of the Japanese language?

That having been said, the only game that springs to mind right now is Gran Turismo 3 A-spec. However, it'll be out in North America on June 11th, so it's probably easier to simply wait for it.

-Keiichi

poaw

You used to sleep easy at night.
Mar 25, 2001
Camp Pendleton, California
Yeah you should have atleast a basic grasp of the Japanese langauge before trying to play ANY games imported from there.

Now that we have that out of the way, you should choose a game that won't require a lot of reading.
I have a friend who neglected to think about this before having Shenmue imported to him.

itskeiagain

Adept
Mar 12, 2001
If you are in for those music-oriented games, we have literally tens of them!!

Beat-Mania series
Dance-Mania series
Drum-Mania series
Guitar-Mania series
DJ-Mix series

to name just a few:)
You have to get attachments(i.e. a dance pad, a guitar, drumset, turntable) for those games, though. They are hilarious to play!:D

BlueSniper

Mar 6, 2001
is the gamecube out in jappan?
I heard it is. and My sister said she is willing to spend this much on her brother

Dracil

First Poster of new INF forums
Jan 14, 2000
Taiwan, now in UC Berkeley
Yay!!! Someone actually mentioned the Beatmania series!!!

Why limit yourself to consoles? What about Japanese games for Windows (mostly if youre into RPGs, SLGs, and Dating Sims)

itskeiagain

Adept
Mar 12, 2001
Maniac Mansion

BTW, there once was an NES game called "Maniac Mansion" which had an American cartoonish image to it. It's a game about some kids sneaking inside of someone's house just to find those crazy maniacs or something. It was a very simple side-view game like Super Mario. But it had something so exciting about it. Going into all those different rooms to finally find some residents who came chasing me in the speed of a slug.
Did you have this game in the states? That was a freaky game. I still have nightmares about that grannie chasing me!! And she was SO SLOW!!!

"Come here, son..."

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

itskeiagain

Adept
Mar 12, 2001
Well, as Keiichi said, GT3 is coming out in short time in the states anyways, so I wouldn't get a Japanese version if I were you. It requires mod chip installed in your PS and the game's in Japanese. If you can have the same thing in English if you just wait for a month or so, I suggest you wait.:)

BlueSniper

Mar 6, 2001
what about any movies? anime is best in its original form, right? and I understand ::Some:: japanese.

itskeiagain

Adept
Mar 12, 2001
I'm not sure about DVD format but I suppose it's different than that of yours in the states. Japanese videos would most likely work in the states 'cause when I took my video cassettes to the states, I could watch them in the normal VCR.

And as for animes, if you have any favorite anime, the chances are that there would be all kinds of goods for it. We have huge anime stores in many cities.:)

BlueSniper

Mar 6, 2001
you DO know the level of censorship in america is the HIGHEST in any country in tha world, Right? in some americanized animes, almost one third of the episode is taken out. and almost 30% of the speech is wrong or censored.

Amerika-jin wa baka desu.

Did I say that right?

umm.. depends how you watch the show :D

usually Subs are the raw (accept of slang equivalents and jap<=>eng grammar)

also I think the stuff your talking about are the TV dubs.
the real dubs have all the footage

however the add/subtraction words and phrases is big

watch Gunsmith Cats.
when Rally is in her undies may says "at least you where wearing a clean pair" in english, however in the sub said "its not like your marrying him"

weird...

I prefer subs :)

that is why I liked Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon so much :)