What would you make of this if it happened to you?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zaphrod

President of the Universe
Sep 27, 2000
Betelgeuse V
Visit site
Your playing low grav lava giant on a CSHP server and everything seems fine, then someone joins and starts on an amazing killing spree. every weapon he uses except the Missle launcher he makes a direct hit every shot. Ripper, shock rifle primary, Sniper rifle, enforcer.

You do a mutate cheatshow and it says nobody is cheating so you go back to it.

He continues his killing and goes unstoppable and godlike. Finally you have the flag and are just about to jump over the blue base wall and cap the flag.

He is at the shield belt and when you jump and are just clearing the wall he hits you with the primary fire of the shock rifle twice even though the first sent you flying over the flag base.

Ok now your sure that he has to be cheating but you dont wanna accuse him because he might just be a fantastic player, he does have 100 Ping.

You disconnect from the server and click to Play as Spectator to try and view from his veiw. you click rejoin server and you are rejected by the server so you check to see if the server is full but there are 4 spaces left.

You try a couple more times and are rejected but if you uncheck play as spectator you can log on. So you try to change teams and arent allowed to do that even though his team has 2 less players now.

So there is NO WAY to spec him. He is hitting everyone with total accuracy with every weapon and has yet to miss you with any accurate weapon.

My thoughts are this guy is either an admin for the server or a clan member of the server and they use the CSHP to make the server look like a good choice all the while they have an undetected Aimbot, they disable joining as spectator and change teams to stop people from specing them.

Right now I am looking at the server and it has changed maps to Hall of giants, The person in question as 36 points, the next closest player has 2 and everyone else is in the negative numbers.

What do you think and should I post the server name and URL here so other will know what to look for there or do you think I am paranoid and this guy is just a Zen Master Player

cryco

Quasi-Genius
Nov 23, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Visit site
It does smell a bit like tuna.
I don't know. You sort of followed all the proper procedures that one must in order to fairly "accuse" someone. If you name the server, you're not really accusing them, but maybe someone can snoop around there every know and then. But before you do, wait till one of the mods says something or someone a little more invloved than me replies.
IT does smell tuna-ish though.
Don't discount the zen theory. It is possible.
Have you gone back since and tried to spec? Nah, that's easy to change afterwards.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
1) It's not uncommon for public servers to not have spectating turned on
2) If you tried to spectate and join the server it would reject you if "spectating" was not on.
3) Why not change your team color in Player Preferences before you join the server?
4) Please don't post specifics in unsubstantiated accusations. Thank you for opting to not use a name. :)

Zaphrod

Sep 27, 2000
Betelgeuse V
Visit site
Originally posted by hal
3) Why not change your team color in Player Preferences before you join the server?
4) Please don't post specifics in unsubstantiated accusations. Thank you for opting to not use a name

I tryed that but it forced me to blue, there was no way to change or even join the red side for some reason, that is why the blue team had 2 more people while I was disconnected and 3 more when I connected.

I didnt post any specifics but I will be watching this server and if I happen to get on a team with this individual I will spec him and see what I see.

When I say he was hitting with total accuracy I mean EVERY SINGLE SHOT not here and there.

I wont post the server or the guys name until I can rec a demo that shows proof . In that case I will send the proof to Whomever you suggest and not post it here if you prefer even with proof.

usaar33

Un1337
Mar 25, 2000
Unknown
www.UsAaR33.com
My guess is that he is using an aimbot. :p
it may also have ping prediction (based on his accuracy). Did you try ducking? If he keeps missing, he probably is using a bot. If he still hits you, well then, he either isn't, or more likely using a highly advanced bot with crouch detection.
About CSHP: It may be running in simple, which only stops console bots (bots don't always need to be in the console to run). Even in advanced, however, CSHP may still be bypasses.

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
I say record a demo anyway and send it to the llama farm.
BTW Zaphrod, Saw you on swords #2 the other day. You're pretty damn good:)

Zaphrod

Sep 27, 2000
Betelgeuse V
Visit site
Originally posted by OshadowO
BTW Zaphrod, Saw you on swords #2 the other day. You're pretty damn good:)

Thanks but its more knowing those maps than any real skill. I can sometimes control the pickups if I get in a groove which can make me look better than I really am. What name were you playing under, I dont remeber seeing Shadow in those games. I like that server because it kicks anyone who has a 175 ping or less for 20 seconds which give me a chance, i get about 285 ping on that server. Theres always a guy on that server called ZenAbra or something and he beats me almost every time.

Kokensu

Fire in Ma Belly!
Jan 4, 2000
Shut yo mouth!
Visit site
Does it REALLY matter THAT much?

If the guy is cheating just play somewhere else. If it's his server he can do what he like and even if it's not his server he's obviously not concerned about what others think or he woudln't be so obvious about it. Just move on. No need to waste your life tracking down every player you think is cheating.

GunnerX

2345 Posts
Mar 14, 2000
Canadia
www.gunnerx.com
I would be pissed if I was forced to leave from every server I played on because of Aimbot users. I'm not saying that the guy is using an Aimbot but it sounds suspicious.

We can either ignore the problem, let everyone use the aimbot, give up UT and move on. Or we can do our best to prevent people from using the Aimbot and stop the spreading of it and play one of the best online fps ever made. I choose the latter.

cryco

Quasi-Genius
Nov 23, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Visit site
Kokensu: What if he likes that server because of the cool map rotation/mutators/mods etc....
It would suck to keep ditching servers for that.
Then again, life ain't always fair....

Kokensu

Fire in Ma Belly!
Jan 4, 2000
Shut yo mouth!
Visit site
It's quite simple really. If the server belongs to the guy who's "cheating" then theres not much you can do about it. You'll have to find a new server.

If the server DOESN'T belong to him then simply report the strange behavior to the server's admin and let HIM check it out and ban the guy if he sees fit. Surely the ADMIN can spectate the guy. ;)

There's still TONS of servers out there where people DON'T use aimbots. I play them all the time. And the CSHP servers DO stop most people wanting to use the aimbot. I'm just tired of seeing all this blown out of proportion. I've been playing this game as logn as anyone(since it came out, and unreal 1 before that), and I like it just as much as the next guy. I don't see the game being ruined. I play it all the time and when I DO come across someone I think is cheating I either leave the server or keep killing that one guy until he gets fed up and either stops cheating or leaves.

Like I said there's plenty of servers, there's no need to exlaim "IS THIS GUY CHEATING? WHAT SHOULD I DO??" every time you see someone go on a killing spree. Beleive me, i'm not doubting your accusations, I've seen my fair share of aimbot ho's but what's the point in all the witch hunts. All it does is blow the stuff more out of proportion than it already is.

Next thing you know everyone that dodges alot is going ot be getting accused of speed cheating. .........

I_B_Bangin

habitual line stepper
Aug 6, 2000
Boston, MA
The formula works kind of like this:

If the server is his, if he is using a cheat and if he has ngstats turned on, then it is llame.

If it is his server and he has stats turned off, then there isn't much else to do except leave and find a new server.

Recently I played on a server where the admin started spawning redeemers and spammed them across the map (ctf-chasm) to the enemy base. Now I love that map and rarely get to play it online, so I got pissed off. I took screenies of the console where he logged in as the admin. I took screenies of the console where it listed a stream of names of guys he nuked. Then when I checked ngstats for the game, he didn't have his personal stats on, so there wasn't much to do after that. I couldn't, in good conscience, add him to the llama farm, even though I wanted to.

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
Zaphrod I think it was probably day before yesterday. I play under OshadowO and very rarely these days. But swords is my fave hangout mainly because of the hpb only factor. Plus the competition is also good, ranging from decent to amazing(by my skill level atleast:))

No Soup For You

I got your PM right HERE!
I agree with Kokensu 100%. I'm not in a clan and play public servers exclusively and I have yet to run into someone that I think is using an aimbot. Most but not all of the servers I play have CSHP. Maybe I have just been lucky, but I think the hype about the aimbot is much worse than the reality at this point given the widespread use of CSHP.

I've always been much more suspicious abut the way some people are able to move, i.e., players that seem to be able to dodge almost continuously. Sometimes it looks like there are people that can dodge faster than seems possible in all directions, but I think it's is more likely that they are using a different controller configuration than me - I just use wasd for movement and have gotten used to riding my finger on the forward ("w") key which makes it difficult for me to dodge forward and backward.

I think the other reason my suspicions about most dodgers are probably unfounded is that I don't record demos and watch myself dodge - it's possible that I look just like the people that I am suspicious of when I'm dodging and just don't know it. :)

Kokensu

Fire in Ma Belly!
Jan 4, 2000
Shut yo mouth!
Visit site
Exactly No Soup....

On the other hand, even if he DOES have ngstats on, What does it matter?

From what I've seen around here most people hate ngstats, so most have it turned off altogether(I only leave mine on to check a games specific stats). We all know that ngstats is petty much useless in determining skill level. It's nice to see your rank go down but it doesn't really prove anything. So what would it matter if this guy was #1 on ngstats. Who cares? You know he's being lame, but it's his server and he can be lame if he wants.

Bottom line is, you can't come into MY house and get mad if I don't act the way YOU approve. If you don't like my messy house get the f*ck out. It's that simple. Sorry if that sounds harsh, I'm just getting sick of seeing these witch hunts.