Unreal PSX

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I have not been in contact with him for...wow, years really. If his old email does not work then I'm afraid I don't know how to contact him. Although I heard he has some movies on you tube, if you want to try that route. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Well perhaps can you pm the contact you used to have at him? Perhaps I just found a wrong adress. But I can try youtube now...
EDIT: Found other adress, lemme try email to him on that one...

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Well I talked with eVOLVE and he thinks it is actually not possible getting it released publically, because of some legal problems....well I hope this is not the case...
If it will be the case then I really feel saddened about Unreal series and its policy, other games have released source codes, betas (even daikatana) or even lost level packs (like shadow warrior) and unreal nothing...

Goddamn the game is so old now, so what damage is done? And the designers feel sad that their work didn't see a day of light too so....

I do have hope still however...but it is a tiny bit smaller now than I had earlier.

Diehard

Well I talked with eVOLVE and he thinks it is actually not possible getting it released publically, because of some legal problems....well I hope this is not the case...

Which is mostly the reason, your next question to him would be to ask the mailadress from the person that can give permission. And if theres more parties involved, ask that person if you can get the green light from him for their end. And than ask him the mail adress from the other party.

That way you prevent the one company not allowing because the other one might not give permission.

Effectivelly, you need permission from the first party(at least for the moment) so you can turn to the other party. And there you can tell them, party nr.1 already gave permission, but only if you guys give permission as well.

You need a temporary permission from party nr. 1 :) You need to prevent a no from them. Aim at that !!!

And if needed already write a new mail now, to ask that, if their side agrees for the moment, and better do that upfront instead waiting for a no. Its likelly they will give that temporary permission. And thats your aim for the moment.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Okay, I've got now 2 levels(4 maps but basically two levels) of Matthew Kagle, which he has done for the title.

He said he is free to release what he wants, as long as its not official product.

The problem is
Warning: Failed to load 'NPScript': Can't find ByteProperty in file 'ByteProperty Engine.HUD.HideCount'

I guess I will have to try to run it in different version.

Currently I am recompiling the pkg....and removing that from script. But...I will release that as separate thing.

Also for other mappers' maps I need to have them release it separately....

OK I got it....Die Hard what is your email so I can send you the files? Matthew Kagle agreed with posting the thing so. My source to upload stuff is now not right now avaiable for me so....

EDIT: I attached the files...use the NPscript.zip which has the recompiled file by me....

EDIT2: My views on the maps: They are really distinctively "weird"....I am not sure if I like how author took the storyline into execution...but it is not too bad I guess. I would like to see levels of the other authors though. Anyway...given the restrictions they are still cool, you can read about it at readme by the way, it is good to read it (well rather needed), except the walkthrough, that I think should be read after the play or when you don't know waht to do next.

EDIT3: Some background about the levels from author:
In the first level, you break into an archaeological excavation where they are digging out a giant alien ship that was buried millenia ago. In part 1, you run across to the ship and turn on its main generator. The generator activates a laser that was removed from the ship and lets you blast through to the elevator shaft to the lower level. In part 2, you have to activate an umbilical tube to connect to the ship, which lets you reach the bottom of the excavation, where you can get inside.

In part two, you enter the ship, which is an alien universe, to contact the alien (I think his name was J'Rath). In part 1, you find yourself in a 3D maze. You have to travel to the end of the maze by removing the barriers blocking you. Each barrier can be removed by going to one of the small pocket worlds and throwing a switch. In part 2, you have to reach the heart of the ship, a pulsing sphere. You follow a short path, fighting tiny monsters and turning switches, until you can get inside. Inside the heart is a series of chambers you have to swim through until you get to J'Rath's chamber (he appears as a giant eye). The second set of levels is rougher than the first.

Attachments

• NPScript.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 68
  • PSX1.zip
    857 KB · Views: 69
  • PSX2.zip
    934.8 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Jrath is an eye :lol:

Played E2l6a and the Jrath map. First one is a typical small Skaarj structure. The Jrath map instead is something you would expect from an Unreal alpha (crypt and techno), and dear god it is totally ****ed up.

Also, difficulty seems to be extremely higher compared to PC Unreal.

And once again, Leo saves the day. Thanks for all of this :tup:

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006

Played E2l6a and the Jrath map. First one is a typical small Skaarj structure. The Jrath map instead is something you would expect from an Unreal alpha (crypt and techno), and dear god it is totally ****ed up.

Also, difficulty seems to be extremely higher compared to PC Unreal.

And once again, Leo saves the day. Thanks for all of this :tup:

Only those two you have played? Not all of the maps? They are linked together you know. :p

And there were meant to be scripted new bosses etc in the end..so this form was maybe just a temporary thing who knows...they also had one new weapon which would help you take form of other species or something...oh and by the way the PSX version ran on 221, so it is possible the original file will work with it (with beta patch 221).

Anyway this is not all..James Hamer-Morton seems to have more stuff and not only from him, so it might get released. Unfortunatelly Matthew had only these files left (and maybe some other beta different versions of map but meh).

Btw if you want to play the map in coop, the first one is not fully coop compatible as the trigger closes the door behind at start...there should be another playerstart or the trigger should have no event, trigger14 is that one....

Anyway if the map gets stuck you can open the door with command admin causeevent EntryDoors.

Last edited:

Diehard

Havent tested the maps yet, but i added the files to the downloads at this link: Raw downloads PSX

And if needed you can always submit stuff to this mail adress:

SubmitEmailAdress.jpg

But always add info to the mail, like if its for Unreal, UT, UT2004 etc. And what it is, like a map, mod, texturepackage, etc But in this case tell in the mail its for Unreal and its from PSX.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Played the other maps. E2l6B seem to be quite the bitch in difficulty due to Slith, long swims, pits and Behemoths.

E2l7A is... oh dude. Reminds me of EzKeel, but here it's even more bizzarre. Really liked the puzzles, although the green triangle pathway was broken at the beginning.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Played the other maps. E2l6B seem to be quite the bitch in difficulty due to Slith, long swims, pits and Behemoths.

E2l7A is... oh dude. Reminds me of EzKeel, but here it's even more bizzarre. Really liked the puzzles, although the green triangle pathway was broken at the beginning.

It is not broken, all you have to do is jump a little in first to make yourself a bit higher later on..but it is not broken you can clear the way by going into the four or five worlds or what...it makes sense at all if you discover how it works. :p

And at all it is some different universe....so it looks weird...that is why I said it is weird, I meant mainly this map and the next one.
But it is not bad it is weird, it is just more abstract than we were used in normal Unreal maps.

But as the entering level message said: You did not expect that....

I once made (or wanted to, it was unfinished stuff and later I got it lost anyway) a rather abstract map too consisting of warpzones and weird things when I was trying to make bloodgate mappack back in the years (but the map looked n00bish though), but I had rather rational explanation in the end of how is that possible (these were some kind of nasty portal experiments etc, even if it felt like dream at first). This is a lot different from that though and it is more fresh approach I think.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
The difficulty would have been eased down a bit if we had gone through a testing phase.

Welcome to the forums. :)

I don't think it was that difficult, well for a seasoned players it is not that hard (but I can imagine a few people shouting around in frustration), but I agree that the difficulty is higher than the original Unreal maps of course.

mkagle

May 18, 2009
SF Bay Area
Cancellation

If I remember correctly, we were cancelled because we couldn't do all the cool lighting effects. Since Epic made a lot of money selling its engine to other parties, they didn't want to undercut their business by making the engine look bad.

mkagle

May 18, 2009
SF Bay Area
The eye

If I recall correctly, your character (Jack) has an AI implant and a robot eye. The text messages are the implant talking to you. After you meet J'Rath he comes to inhabit your implant, including the eye.

SO having him appear as a big, disembodied eye seemed to make sense.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
If I recall correctly, your character (Jack) has an AI implant and a robot eye. The text messages are the implant talking to you. After you meet J'Rath he comes to inhabit your implant, including the eye.

SO having him appear as a big, disembodied eye seemed to make sense.
About the cancellation, I think the effects could be made (it wasn't completed after all was it?) and from what I have read it was decision of Infogrames mainly. And even without it, it just seems as bad excuse. I found that here and I was able to get some old info through wayback machine too, browsing that fgnonline site:
http://forumplanet.gamespy.com/unreal_1_imported/b50295/3919804/r3919808/
Before Infogrames said it is still under developement and then they said it is not.

Who is J'rath anyway? In the Unreal beta he was some sort of skaarj god or something, or they believed in him and I thought he was that skaarj on the crypt2 texture, that with these long shoulders, beacuse morose level from cliff bleszinsky had these pics..why does he help you here then? It does not make sense to me beacuse I didn't play the earlier levels I guess.

Thank you for all the info and for the levels anyway...:)

Btw http://web.archive.org/web/20000416174046/http://www.fgnonline.com/news/11566.html
The Implant Gum is what you get after J'Rath contact? I think James told me (oops sorry it was not James i was you, sorry for confusion here) something about new gun, which was supposed for you to take others forms or something.

Last edited:

mkagle

May 18, 2009
SF Bay Area
About the cancellation, I think the effects could be made (it wasn't completed after all was it?) and from what I have read it was decision of Infogrames mainly.

Who is J'rath anyway? ...:)

I'm just telling you like I remember it. While there was a lot of squeezing Pterodactyl managed to do to the code to make it run, it still didn't look as good.

And, I really have no idea who J'Rath was. This was a decade ago and I have trouble remembering where my keys are.

Pardon now as I have to pump the foot pedal on my computer to engage the clutch.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Well the project could as well be transferred to a level pack for Unreal after it was cancelled (like half-life:blue shift originally was a part of dreamcast bonus levels), the altogether cancellation seems indeed sad, even if it didn't look as good.
It had a lot of potential and still has. I also wonder if anyone can find still the parts of the original level pack for Unreal or the pack itself, the one prior to return to na pali.

Alright, that does not matter (for now), maybe James knows who J'rath was or we will find out if the levels get released.

Anyway cybernetic implant....so your character was male three bane? I always play as that character, he has cybernetic implant eye on the skin.

Last edited:

jackrabbit

May 9, 2008
some really cool and original maps there Leo. Thanks mkagle and others for releasing some of this to the public! much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.