Sky Boxes

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mik

Nov 20, 1999
Rehovot, Israel
Visit site
I started learning UnrealEd the other day, it's really cool and is easier than I thought.
I am having trouble in one part though, the Sky Boxes.
I can make a sky box, but I can't seem to make it look right. It's always huge and the moving cloud textures seem like a flat board.
I read tutorials at several sites (Wolf, DukeED and UnrealED) and I still can't solve this.
Can any one give me any tips to making a natural looking Sky Box?

Help would be greatly appriciated.

------------------
If the above offended you, you shouldn't have read it.

Jenkins

America's Greatest Kitten Mitten
Apr 24, 2000
Irving, Tx, USA
jljenkins.cjb.net
Sky boxes are an artform. If its during the day, I use the blue-green texture, under the Shanesky texture set, for the sky background (always making it Unlit). Add in the sky and it's time for detail and lighting. For details, I usually use one or two suns, a couple of planets and whatever else looks good. Since it's day, go with, blue, green and yellow for lighting. Mountains are something that I haven't mastered yet, so I just take them from other levels, if I use them (which is rarely).

Never make the sky box too high and large, because you will be able to see the edges. Never over over-use lights, doesn't look right. Layer you're sky, it adds to quality.

And in the SkyZoneInfo, under ZoneLight, there's a part, the UpanSpeed and VpanSpeed (or something like that), they both control the speed of the sky. Toy around with that and create the perfect looking sky.

I hope I helped in anyway... come back for more.

Jenkins

[This message has been edited by Jenkins (edited 11-30-1999).]