running a LAN???

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OSpire55

Nov 27, 1999
Oklahoma, OKC
www.unreality.org
up at my technical school, everyday after we are finished doing the labs, we hookup and play multiplayer games, well today I brough Unreal Tourney in and we tried to hookup, I started a game and was playing successfully but the other computer my friends were on couldn't find my game...we could all see each other in the network neighborhood and it is setup for TCP/IP so i don't know what is going on...can anyone help??? thanks...peaCe...

OllieGDT

Nov 26, 1999
Dover,DE,USA
Visit site
At the Tech School where I attend, we are setting up UT day!!! We wil have 5 hours of UT network play in our pc lab for everyone to play. Cross platform servers and clients makes the UT perfect for a fun school project. Anyway, are your friends using the retail version of UT also, or are you trying to play off of one CD. If you have the Demo, have all of you run the demo and see if you can connect that way. If so, then you most likely are having a problem with the retail version. I haven't played enough w/ it to really tell you. I'll let you know how our UT party goes and if we have any similar problems.

[OF]candyman

Nov 24, 1999
OHIO
www.iamapervert.com
to get technical the makers say you need an ip address begining with 196. or 197. or 198. I dont know why they say this because I have talked to plenty of people who say it works fine with a 192. or many others.....Try typing in the ip address (the server ip address)at the open command. That should do it!!!! It might be called open location anyways if you find a place to type in the servers ip address do it!!!

SWITCH

Nov 25, 1999
BUFFALO
Visit site
Well I don't know what everyone else is talking about but I've got a 3 computer lan in my house and I'm using the following ip addresses and it works fine.

With a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0

See if you can ping the other computers from a dos prompt and that will tell you if they are even on the network together.

Guysmily

Nov 30, 1999
Chicago, Il, USA
Visit site
make sure your ip addresses are all one digit off. for some reason ut does not like ip addresses that are not close together. when i was trying to get the demo to work only three machines could see the game server. thats becahse they had almost the same ip address accept for the last digit. all other machines were unable to see the game

lehwalder

Nov 27, 1999
slc utah usa
Visit site
as long as all addresses are on hte some SUBNET , all machines will work fine, it is not unreal tournament that is the issue here, it is tcp/ip ( the only protocol that UT has available), it requires all communications between computers to be on the some subnet or it must go to the router to find out where the computer is, thus effecting pings or eliminating communication all together,depending on net work segment routing. thats all .

OSpire55

Nov 27, 1999
Oklahoma, OKC
www.unreality.org
alright thanks for all the support, but our instructor helped us fix the problem today, we had the subnets at 255.255.255.0 and the other at 100.100.100.0 and then 100.100.100.1 and so on for 4 people but it wasn't workign then we read about them having to be 198 or 197 and stuff and we tried it worked just fine, pings really low and no skipping or anything, we are all running P3 450s with 96MB Ram ATI Rage 128's...runs pretty smooth, Assault rocks with this ... peaCe everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.