Should I Buy UT2003?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

RzN

Dec 6, 2003
Ok, I am a superb player in the demo of UT2003 online, but should I fork over $19.99 and get a brand new full copy of this game, or I could get it for cheaper on eBay ;), or wait it out and get UT2004? I'd say I'm really good at the levels and weapons the demo offers, so what do you think I should do? Any responses would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Well, I'll tell you....

The Demo servers are about the fullest servers there are, ReconGamer and both GibGames_DM servers have people on them most of the time. But if you only play bots then you're gonna find that the (Full Version) public servers have some extremely harsh competition. Real people (in this game) don't play like bots. (if bots is what you're playing)

But if you've got 20$ that is burning a hole in your pocket you are certainly more than welcome to join the people in this forum for some friendly, easy going fragging, then get the full version. Plus if you want help on getting better, this is the place to start. You won't find a better group of people to help you. There's no flaming or bad mouthing going on here.

But otherwise, wait till 2k4 comes out.

Last edited:

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
Don't waste the money.

The demo offers some of the better maps, and some of the most used servers, personally i think you should save the money and wait 'till 2k4 (at least the demo) as buying 2k3 at the moment would be a bit silly *unless* you kept all evidence of the purchase and hope that the rebate works.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Daedalus said:
"Most of the people here are 24 carat gold" -Same Carter, Deus Ex

Hehe, I just got that game at EBX for free when I bought GTA Vice City. (Great buy right there!) I just started it last night, it's great.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
My answer still has to be... get it if you can find it at a price that's worth it to you. I know that I would easily get 19.99 worth of entertainment out of it over the next two or three months.

If you can find it in the Used Games section somewhere, who knows? You might be able to grab it for 9.99 to 14.99. And as long as the UPC or manual are intact, you'd get 10.00 off of UT2004!

At least you'd get to play through all of the maps.

Astaldo

Apr 21, 2000
Highland Lakes, NJ USA
Visit site
I'd buy it if I were you. It's a fun game. Besides, you know UT2004 isn't going to come out when they say. I can still remember watching Cliffy's webcam and hitting F5 every few seconds to see when the demo for UT2003 was released. I still have the game on my harddrive. I'll go away from it for a while, and come back and have a blast. Besides, $20 isn't much for a game that's still popular.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Doc. Why do you post in this forum?

You obviously don't want to discuss the game. You just want to bash it each and every chance you get.

Are you that bitter?

Let the rest of us enjoy it.

Loibisch

The Odd Member
Jan 3, 2000
Germany
www.carpeimperium.com
Getting good is incredibly hard with this game since the learning curve on servers these days is pretty steep. If you think you can handle it then $20 isn't much, but be aware that the UT2003 scene is pretty much idling along these days...
Waiting for UT2004 might be a better idea, however since it's so similar to UT2003 I don't expect a drop in skill, so it will be even harder to get a foot in the door. Also noone knows when UT2004 will REALLY be out, so...your choice.

I'd prolly get UT2003 to get a head start in skill for UT2004.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
I saw UT2003 in shop for a mere 16.99 Euros (Best of series). It has the 3 CDs, no manual and a cd key. At the price of an audio CD, I didn't ask myself the question, future collector's item or not ;) .

Doc_EDo

LEFT
Jan 10, 2002
hal said:
You obviously don't want to discuss the game. You just want to bash it each and every chance you get.
Are you that bitter?
I think i posted in my first post something that isnt a "bashing". Why do you see only "negative" posts?
Also I dont see how this isnt relevent in this post??
It's only fair to inform ppl and let them make up their own mind.
In an interview with GameSpot, Epic's Jay Wilbur revealed that there will be a UT2005 and UT2006.

... although we've started to draw some stuff out on the drawing board, we don't have anything solid. But I can tell you that there will be an '05, there will be an '06. That's our plan, is to keep the franchise going in that vein.

EDIT: From here

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
In an interview with GameSpot, Epic's Jay Wilbur revealed that there will be a UT2005 and UT2006.

... although we've started to draw some stuff out on the drawing board, we don't have anything solid. But I can tell you that there will be an '05, there will be an '06. That's our plan, is to keep the franchise going in that vein.

Source URL ?

Scuzzbuster

It's Crunchy. It's Nice.
Jan 28, 2001
Indiana, USA
www.deviantknowledge.com
hal said:

Are you that bitter?

Doc_EDo said:
I'd love to stay here and chat with complete n00bs but I dont have time for that..

Come on, Hal, go easy...most of us enjoy being berated regularly by a member of the modding community expecting us to embrace their work. It lends even more credibility to thier work and efforts when they use every chance they can to bash the game they are modding for.

Likewise, those of us that gather here to discuss the game we all like to play called UT2003 really appreciate the constant reminder that DOC hates UT2003, Epic and everything the game stands for with the exception of his own mod.

I can honestly say I enjoyed the ROAR beta, Doc, but your attitude here ever since Epic announced that Assault would be included in 2k4 has been childish and rude...the constant game bashing...and bashing of those that enjoy the game has to give many of the people here second thoughts about even trying the full version now. I personally have put off even looking at it because the ill will you have created among the people of this forum purposely.

Makes it even worse that in the years I've been gaming, the PuF/BuF community has been one of the most friendly and mature gaming communities I'm proud to have ever been a part of. I can tell you this...I don't like being referred to as a "n00b" when I'm playing...and I sure as hell don't like being berated by people in forums...

Doc_EDo said:
I'd love to stay here and chat with complete n00bs but I dont have time for that..

...especially people that are hoping to generate positve reaction for their own work.

There's already a UT2003 forum out there that is open season on bashing the game, and that's over at ProUnreal...I'm sure you'd feel right at home over there.

I know...I know you could care less whether a few dozen or hundred people here at BuF try and/or like your work...

Sorry, Hal...you opened the door and I had to get it out. I apologize for the outburst.