Eight Years Later... (Thread Necromancy of the Best Kind)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nalid

Hater of the "ur" o_O
Apr 8, 2004
So... somewhere in the range of 2002-2004 I created an Anubis concept that I tried to get made here. I couldn't model myself. A few people really gave if their best and it was highly appreciated. If you are really curious and want to see some retro work, click here for the original thread.

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=144727&page=9

So why am I posting about this now? In 2012? Because I eventually learned to model, and I never forgot that old model from the forums that I dearly wanted to see made. I spent yyeeaaaarrrss modeling things, always thinking about it, never making it- as I thought it still beyond my ken.

Well, I made it. So. Here is the Anubis model eight years in the making. While I sincerely doubt any of the people I used to kick it with here are still around, I stumbled across this forum and thread and had to post it. It's a legacy of this place and the people here that I could never forget. You are the reason I got into modeling. Thank you new and old.

6899750853_7980453401_b.jpg

6885476375_a63840553c_b.jpg

6873415171_3d44402ccf_b.jpg

6848310081_d66e77d34a_b.jpg

Nalid

Hater of the "ur" o_O
Apr 8, 2004
Many thanks, Sir Brizz. It's a really good feeling to come full circle. I wish some of the ghosts of the past were here to see it, but they are likely long gone by now. I sent out a few messages to old accounts just in case though. We'll see. Might actually have an old-school reunion if anyone spots it!

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Cool, I would use that model, but what game is that? UT3?

Too bad there's no good, popular, modern arena games to use custom models in. :shake:

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
:eek: Wow Nalid! what a great thing to do. I'm speechless... not only at how great the model looks but that after all this time you would think to post it here. SaD will be very proud :D. I had a look at the old thread and what a shame it faded into oblivion, but to see a dream actually realised after such a length of time made me smile quite a bit! Excellent, excellent. I really do hope more of the old ghosts make an appearance for old times sake and add to the thanks you deserve for this :cheers:

Nalid

Hater of the "ur" o_O
Apr 8, 2004
The thanks /I/ deserve for this? It was the support of people like you, and this forum that inspired me to do anything at all. I still fondly look back on the comradery here with a smile. So thank /you/. You are not forgotten.

Slaughter

exsomnis
Feb 16, 2004
Germany
slaughter.jimdo.com
Amazing work, love all the little details and the way you handled the materials!
ZBrush?
What are you up to these days Nalid?

It's nice to be remembered.
Sorry for never finishing but it looks like everything turned out alright :D

Last edited:

Nalid

Hater of the "ur" o_O
Apr 8, 2004
Don't apologize man, that you took the time out of your life to even try was a huge thing for me and I appreciate it still. And yes, Zbrush! My one true love.

These days I mostly work on whatever I feel like, a boon of working for yourself. So that is an amazing feeling. I do hop in on various game projects here and there as a designer and consultant, but that's it's own can of worms.

Maybe one day soon they will remember what Unreal Tournament was supposed to be and make a game that drags me back here full time. I do miss it!

Angerfist

left a small crater
Feb 22, 2004
the Netherlands
Wow that was long long (long!) ago, i completly forgot about all this tbh. Thanks for that PM!

Looks pretty damn impressive if you ask me, i'm going to have to reïnstall UT for this :)

Keep us posted Nalid!

Tux Android

Voice Pack Penguin
May 19, 2011
Philippines
Wow!

Never came in this section before, but completely to say that the model is very comprehensible, you take spare time of modelling for years from now. :)D) I had pretty close to this for sure, and good high quality texture details all around to the next. Impressive work mate! :tup: