Alright it's happened. I have a new pet peeve.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Johnny Bravo

May 3, 2004
Seattle
www.johnnybravo.org
Can anyone tell me what might be wrong with this .zip file?

angry.PNG

Well if you can't figure it out here's a hint. How about the five times I have to click on Extract, and point to a different directory? It's really not too hard to make folders which correspond to the type of file (eg Static Meshes, Music, Maps) and have them in there so when I click extract they automagicly go to the correct subfolder.

Sure if you just have a .ut2 and a readme file don't worry about it since all I need is the map, but map makers if you find yourself putting half a dozen files in a single .zip will you at least think of the children?

Last edited:

Corion

Reviewer Dude ... Guy
Apr 18, 2004
Houston, TX
For those of you who are clueless on how to stop this travesty, its not hard to make zips with folders. Just make a brand-spanking new folder with the map title as the name of the folder, and within that folder create separate folders with the appropriate names (music, maps, etc). Then once you have moved all the needed files to the correct folders, highlight all the folders in the map directory and choose "Add to _insertmaptitlehere_.zip". Winzip (or possibly WinRAR) will know you want the subdirectories to remain intact, and will add them into the zip file.

Some general map-submission suggestions to remember:
  • Name the zip file the same as the name of your map.
  • Always use the maximum (slowest) compression method when zipping map files, because they can still be quite large even when zipped.
  • While most people do have winzip, fewer have WinRAR, so please refrain from using RAR files for zipping up maps for the public.
  • Try to keep your map and all the needed textures and meshes, etc. in one file (except music) - the .ut2 file. This makes it easier to share maps or remove them if the person no longer wants it.
  • You should include a readme in the file for each map. You can generate a readme file from this site or write one from scratch following a similar convention.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I copy them over to each folder individually anyway, so that doesn't bother me. But it is kinda lame to not have the folders available for those who want it.

Here's one of my pet peeves! Name the text or html file the same as the map. Please quit calling them readme.txt files. You see I keep these files as well and everytime someone calls it readme.txt or readme.txt, I have to rename it. Don't even get me started on those new .jpg files with map info.;)

lophead

SkaarjMaster said:
I copy them over to each folder individually anyway, so that doesn't bother me. But it is kinda lame to not have the folders available for those who want it.

Here's one of my pet peeves! Name the text or html file the same as the map. Please quit calling them readme.txt files. You see I keep these files as well and everytime someone calls it readme.txt or readme.txt, I have to rename it. Don't even get me started on those new .jpg files with map info.;)

At the least it should be something like:

DM-Mapname README

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Actually, just leave the readme out all together. At this point in the game, people should know that there's a text file of some sort usually included with a map but not all the time. For the people that are new and clueless, they should figure it out one way or another eventually. ;)