A UT film/book script !

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
I've seen a few threads of the subject of a UT film but nothing really interesting came out of it so I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread on a UT film/book script :) .

If any of you has decent writing, is good at describing characters/races, has good knowledge of the Unreal universe then I'm inviting you to participate in this thread.

To start off with, I think it would be a good idea to gather information about the different characters in UT and also some background on the races they come from. This will help with the setting in which the characters can interact.

Same topic on Atari and Tournament.com forums :
http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=308045
http://tournament.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107156

Last edited:

eLy

Mar 18, 2003
Visit site
i have a story,

dessloch takes the flag in lava giant, passes it to cryss, she runs to base and gets point.
then they fuk.

teh end.

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
To start off with, I think it would be a good idea to gather information about the different characters in UT and also some background on the races they come from. This will help with the setting in which the characters can interact.

sorry but this sounds like the most boring ut movie ever then :p
ut is about the tournament, the fighting. Nobody wants to know the damn background of the people, since the expected time of living while in the arena is like what 40 seconds. Further more 'the setting in which the characters can interact'. they don't interact they frag, the settings, erm just look at the game man.

This movie should be about action action action, and not diplomatic discussions on who is going to interact with who.

The basic idea i have for a UT movie would be simple really, grab 10 random people with basic fighting skills and weapon combat skill, promise them money to whomever survives.
Four arena's or something where they fight, each one based around a specific UT gameplay mode, teams are always picked at random, to make it more interresting and see how they handle with internal conflicts.
Blend it in with matrix type camera viewpoints, special effects, and blammo, you got yourself the next blockbuster :p

But whatever you do, do not make this into some kind of epic story or something like that because nobody would care, unreal II did this in a way, we all know how that ended :p

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
TTRStryker8 said:
ut is about the tournament, the fighting. Nobody wants to know the damn background of the people, since the expected time of living while in the arena is like what 40 seconds. Further more 'the setting in which the characters can interact'. they don't interact they frag, the settings, erm just look at the game man.

This movie should be about action action action, and not diplomatic discussions on who is going to interact with who.

The basic idea i have for a UT movie would be simple really, grab 10 random people with basic fighting skills and weapon combat skill, promise them money to whomever survives.
Four arena's or something where they fight, each one based around a specific UT gameplay mode, teams are always picked at random, to make it more interresting and see how they handle with internal conflicts.
Blend it in with matrix type camera viewpoints, special effects, and blammo, you got yourself the next blockbuster :p

Oh man, now THAT sounds boring as hell... :-/
I'd fall asleep after watching it for .. uh.. one minute.

edit: I've overreacted a bit :) It's just that something like that has been done to death... I mean, it's all I've seen so far. :-/
Ever seen the Nehahra movie for quake1?
That was a real tribute movie. I wish UT could have a similar one, but that won't ever happen I guess :) ah well...

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
eLy said:
unreal II is out ?

Yes, Unreal 2 - The awakening has been out for a while (kind of reminds of Half-Life with some sexy graphics).

TTRStryker8 said:

But whatever you do, do not make this into some kind of epic story or something like that because nobody would care, unreal II did this in a way, we all know how that ended :p

Thanks for the input TTRStryker8 :p . You are right in saying that a film about UT should be an action movie since the game itself is all about action. It would be a good idea to avoid a Mortal Kombat style movie, if you know what I mean.

The actual character descriptions and backgrounds would only contribute to a few minutes of film while the rest could be a mix of intrigue and action. You'd also have to describe where the different characters come from or at least give a setting that describes the liandri mining corp and the problems of violence that pushed them to create the tournament in the first place. It doesn't have to focus on all individuals (a recipe for a bad movie) and it can simply focus on a hero/anti-hero as well as Xan since he will be one of the main characters.

Assymilator

No idea what to put here.
Feb 18, 2001
It's Not Atlanta, GA
Also, if you were to do a UT movie, it'd be best to make it realistic and bloody. By that I mean rockets going through people, enforcers putting bullets into people's heads, flak burning into a person's skin, that sort of thing. Making something like this PG-13 would be boring as hell, and character development shouldn't go farther than Saving Private Ryan did.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Well, character development should go to a certain depth or there's still the risk of producing a "Mortal Kombat" movie where characters are briefly introduced and then beat the cr*p out of each other. It may be a fun film but it's definitely not one that will be remembered.

Also, I realize that in this day and age where people are looking for sensations, pure action films have relative success. Personally, I've never been one to "follow the herd" if you know what I mean.

Right, let's get something interesting going for this thread with a simple question. Who is Xan and who should be the (anti-)hero(es) ?