Apache Helo Vehicle Beta Test!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Eyegore

=================
Sep 4, 2001
Hanover
Hello all,

I've just finished a new vehicle base on the Apache helicopter. I'm looking for some thoughts and crits.

It can be downloaded here:

http://www.icosometricdesign.com/downloads.htm

Here are a couple screenshots (sorry about posting links, but I keep getting errors on these pages anymore...)

http://www.icosometricdesign.com/Projects.htm

These screenshots are a little old, but the gist is the same.

Helo has:
Primary Fire - single barrel 50cal machine gun - increase damage to 25
Alt-Fire - Just like the Raptor
Increased rise and strafe force to make more responsive
Limited upward pitchlimit to more closely simulate helo simulator.
Included mutator to replace Raptors with the helo

Thanks for taking a look -

Last edited:

EvilDrWong

Every line of code elevates you
Jun 16, 2001
Inside the machine
Visit site
Wow, very awesome! :D I like the way it handles, very slick :)

I have lots of suggestions. If you dont follow them you will be kicked off of the internet.

Drop the health, 375-425 feels about right. ATM its a flying tank with a rocket minigun... And could you take the ambientsound off of the projectiles. Its not too bad when you got one or two stray bullets flying, but when you get like a dozen or so it sounds like youre by a waterfall :p Also, its skins need to be finalblend materials otherwise overlays replace the texture for a bit (like when you get hit with the LtG, link, or shock) Since its so rapid fire, id suggest dropping the primary's damage to like 19-21 a shot instead of 25... its a small change, but it means it takes 5 shots instead of 4 to kill those soft little infantry

Last edited:

Eyegore

=================
Sep 4, 2001
Hanover
Cool - I'll try 400 for the health and drop the primary damage to 19. I wanted to have the helo have a bit more armor because the Raptor is just too weak - you'll get where your going, then bam!, before you get a chance to do anything, you're done!

I'm right now making finalblend textures...The ambient sound thing - do you mean for the air to air missiles? Or the bulletts?

Thanks!

Eyegore

=================
Sep 4, 2001
Hanover
OK folks,

I made the changes and uploaded it - use the link from my first post to get the new version.

Thanks for the tips!

Kangus

Zombie on your pwn!
Jan 29, 2001
Illinois, USA
www.planetunreal.com
in a couple of the other helicopters I've tried for 2k4, they had it so that if the chopper's blade's clipped something a bit too far in, it would break the blade off and affect flying slightly (as well as chop up anyone who fell into them).... have you considered that? Your chopper's the best of teh one's I've tried, and breaking blades would make it even better :D

Eyegore

=================
Sep 4, 2001
Hanover
Glad yall like it! Evil, be sure to get the version I just posted cuz the one from earlier the rotors don't spin in net play and looks totally stupid.

The blade breaking idea seems cool - but I don't have the programming skills for that :( I'll have to run that by the guy who's helped me and see if he thinks he can (or will) hook that up. Sounds cool!! I'd definately like the blades to waste folks who fall into 'em!! The blades breaking off and affecting the flying definately seems like it'd add another dimension.

Maybe I can hook it up to where if the tail rotor is hit, that could get busted off and the chopper could go into an uncontrollable spin...

EvilDrWong

Jun 16, 2001
Inside the machine
Visit site
Kangus said:
the uncontrollable spin would be awesome..
as to the blades breaking and chopping people up, look at the code for the scorpion... it just requires bones and stuff for each blade.
...and a trace each tick per rotor... but, on the upside, thatd also allow us to cut people down with the blades...
now which is more important: performance or style? ;)

Ice-Child

SAS Mod Team
Aug 9, 2003
St Louis area
www.endlessquests.com
I think everything was covered above. Am grabbing the latest version. owerful, and had a bit much in the way of life. But you say you got that fixed, so I guess I dont really have much to say. Except excellent job so far. I like the looks of it and the way it handles in game. There were just a few little things I seen, like if you bring it down to fast it slams into the ground. It didnt seem to take much damage when I did that. I even tried going from max altitude to slamming it into the groun d surface, and it barely moved the health bar.

Overall, excellent job. You have put allot of effort into it. And it shows the attention to detail.

Keep up the good work,
Rob

Eyegore

=================
Sep 4, 2001
Hanover
Thanks Ice-Child -

Cool - looks like I have a bit o work ahead of me.

There are 4 rotor blades, maybe I could set up 2 to be able to break. If there are two or fewer blades, then have the chopper lose altitude and crash...how much would it cost in performance to have it set up for 4 blades?

Also, mccann and I were thinking that it may look a little better to give the chopper more mass. It really gets knocked around when hit, a chopper would be a bit more stable...

Welp - i guess it's off to the lab...

Thanks for all the comments - I'm glad you guys like it, I was kinda worried it might've sucked:)

Ice-Child

SAS Mod Team
Aug 9, 2003
St Louis area
www.endlessquests.com
Nah, dont suck, thats for sure. Works great actually, I do agree it could use a little more mass. Didnt think about that till you mentioned it, but you are right. I mean, not a ton of mass, just enough so that when it does get hit it doesnt fly backwards. At least not as much as it does now. I truthfully didnt see a whole lot that I didnt like about it. Meaning, I liked almost all of it. Just a few minor things here and there, but over all, you did a hell of a job. Works great in game, am gonna give it a test run later this afternoon on our network, and see how it does against live Players. Will let you know how it goes.

Rob

EvilDrWong

Jun 16, 2001
Inside the machine
Visit site
Yeah, mass!
4 short traces shouldnt be problematic to tell the truth. Vehicles arent ticked if theres noone in it, so its not like itll be checking constantly... worth a shot :) It all really depends on how fun it is imo ;)

Eyegore

=================
Sep 4, 2001
Hanover
Well, I made some changes:

Added a tail wing - something I wanted to do for a while. Looks even cooler:)
Set up the traces on two of the rotor blades to break, which affects the handling - got the busted mesh set up and everything - ...but...

Problem 1: I think the chances of someone falling into the rotors while someone is in the helo are about 1 in 4565332445623215667865135435.4 - couldn't test to see if I could chop anyone up.

Problem 2: when you run into a building or something - all the rotors bust up instantly, reducing you to 25% control (I reduce the control stuff by 50% each rotor that breaks off.)

I'm just not sure that it stays quite as much fun - I'll post the version for that 1st thing in the morning and you can let me know what you think - I have to get some sleep now...

But I think I'd like to persue this idea of the tail rotor getting shot off - it may not chop anyone up, but it'll look cool to see someone spinning out of control!!

Any ideas on the rotorblades issues?

Thanks