Boycott Cooking for PS3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lethargy

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
Feb 24, 2006
This will accomplish nothing! Besides making a few people in Epic sad who worked hard on this game.

THE GAME IS BAD AND THEY SHOULD FEEL BAD!
zoidberg.gif

MrMan

Jan 19, 2008
Well what I have read on the Epic forums I have seen alot of frustration from map makers cuz PS3 users keep asking them to cook their maps for PS3.

here is proof about the frustration:

002.JPG

Personally I dont undertand why the PS3 Community Dont learn how to make and cook their own maps. PC map makers had to learn how to do it So Why cant the PS3 user's learn how to make their own maps and cook them?

Last edited:

Miko

Miko No Pants
Jul 2, 2004
Flopping in bed
Some of them may not have both versions of UT III or they lack a machine capable of running the game to begin with. That or just laziness.

Last edited:

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Everything is Epic's fault.

- UT99 was a success.
- UT2003 was a "failure" compared to UT99. It's their fault making UT2003 so bad, or UT99 so good that there was an high standard, so people complained
- UT2004 fixed and improved UT2003.
- People still complained
- Epic sold 4 millions copies of GoW and XBox players didn't complain
- They shift their effort to consoles even more
- People complained that they were not caring about PC anymore.
- UT3 was released and people complained that it was consolish, and is full of bugs (I agree 100% here).
- Epic dropped some work, to make a good game for older fans, movement "right", etc... People complained that it's their fault that it lacks content, and they are expecting that the community works for free.
- Unreal PC Community keeps complaining and that makes sales even worse.
- Unreal PC Community dies complaining.

This version is a compromise between PC and PS3. Next version will be called UPS3 or UT360 and I hope that they make at least a lousy console port.

Lethargy

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
Feb 24, 2006
That's why I thought a mappers strike wouldn't be the worst idea, we could stop complaining and actually do (not do) something.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Give them a break for a while. I'd like to see the game be successful for long term. They are patching it for the PC, that means it's value will increase, and hopefully they will release more content. Most publishers charge for expansion packs, etc...

I'm pissed, or was with a few things, I paid 60€ for CE, that's 90$! But since they have a tradition to fix and improve the games, there is no point on riding the bashing bandwagon.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
So, if the game had a better menu, a server browser, and more options, it would magically become a "PC game?" The game play would still be the same, fast paced, not 20% reduced like the PS3.

Most of the time in making the game went into actually making the game. Hell, UT3's speed for the PC is almost too fast.

And do remember that UT200X's movement had originally been designed with the intent for a console exclusive.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
I am going to boycott the PS3 because I am lazy and I feel the slower speed of the game will f$ck up my maps gameplay.

Even if the slower speed has no effect on the gameplay(which I doubt) I am still lazy.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
As a UT PC gamer this is what gets me upset:

Well 6 times I just tried to cook the new version for PS3, it crashed the FrontEnd and/or locked up my whole computer, so it isn't looking very promising.

Now when I read stuff like this and also see folks working on both versions at the same time I do get upset. I really believe that PC development should be first and foremost and only when a level or whatever content it is works fine on the PC then the modder should go ahead and focus on the PS3 version. I just think that it really detracts from making more content for the PC which is what this game really needs. The real UT gamers are PC gamers ... PERIOD ... and if this game wants those gamers to come back to UT more focus on the PC game has to be a priority. Besides look at my answer to that quote from SM:

You and other devs trying to be nice are really wasting far too much time on problems such as these and this is why many PC users have had it with this game. It is fine to try and cook it once but really like I have always said you modders need to make sure the PC version is done first and is working fine before you tackle a PS3 version ... especially on larger more complex levels .... it is just my advice but I learned quickly cooking as many levels and testing them on the PS3 as I do ... far more than anyone here not to waste any time until Epic does their part and provides us with the info we need to be efficient in this area. I really think you should take this time to keep improving your mapping skills and not banging your head against a wall when you really have no idea what you should take out or include for the map to run successfully on the PS3.

And to the PS3 crowd don't blame any modder ... go to the source and ask Epic when they are going to provide the documentation modders need so that they are not wasting time or taking shots in the dark when they run into problems. It is the same issue for making and cooking mutators as well, and models are even more complex, especially with the bug.

So think about what I am saying so you and any other mappers who read this can save yourselves some headaches, treat the PC users better by focusing on content for them first and foremost (again look at the state of the community and you will understand why this is so important ... remember the roots of the game are PC (I don't care what is was intended for with UC1 ... the facts are this is a PC game period ... well was).

Plutonia_Experi

Jan 28, 2008
UT3 wasn't meant for US.
It wasn't meant for competitive pc pr0 gamer, but for casual console "****ing around" players.

Not only the consolish things, but also they pointed out when it's name was Envy that it would have been "easier to play". Or the stupid plot, who cares about all the single player thing here in this forum (and it's also ridiculous, should I think that sometime in the future soldiers will use weapons 2 meters long that take 3 hits to kill somebody???) ?

Console players just look for something else. Not the .ini tweaks, not the competition, not the art you can find in some custom map. They just want to move their gamepad -my personal opinion- they don't care about the game as we do.

So why should PC players bother to do mod for them? Most likely they will have switched to other games, or they won't care anyway.

If Epic is doing so much money with consoles, they are the ones that must support them.

What if all people that are still with PC because of the custom content starts swithing to console, as there are dumb people that makes mod for it?

Cooking mods for PS3 you're just giving more reasons to Epic to forget about PC.

Miko

Miko No Pants
Jul 2, 2004
Flopping in bed
You say that as if you actually represented everyone here but don't. stop bring the whole consolfied UT thing into the debate. Its an old not useless dead approach now. PC players decision will be what they decide to do but if modding on consoles was more easily possible like it is in PC right now then it would definitely happen

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Everything is Epic's fault.

- UT99 was a success.
- UT2003 was a "failure" compared to UT99. It's their fault making UT2003 so bad, or UT99 so good that there was an high standard, so people complained
- UT2004 fixed and improved UT2003.
- People still complained
- Epic sold 4 millions copies of GoW and XBox players didn't complain
- They shift their effort to consoles even more
- People complained that they were not caring about PC anymore.
- UT3 was released and people complained that it was consolish, and is full of bugs (I agree 100% here).
- Epic dropped some work, to make a good game for older fans, movement "right", etc... People complained that it's their fault that it lacks content, and they are expecting that the community works for free.
- Unreal PC Community keeps complaining and that makes sales even worse.
- Unreal PC Community dies complaining.

This version is a compromise between PC and PS3. Next version will be called UPS3 or UT360 and I hope that they make at least a lousy console port.

Okay so well I blame Digital Extremes for UT2003's problems not Epic, if Epic hadnt been forced to release on PC then perhaps the end result for UC to PC would have been UT2004 in the first place. It would have been a more cohesive experience than UT2004 is currently.

If you were on Epics forums when Gears was release zomg damn, there was heaps of complaints some of which got addressed in patches like for eg vga cable support I think it was.

I do agree that all this mindless complaining is getting us no where, for Epic to rectify anything they need specific complaints. That way they can get around and address them, oh look in the server browser Epic that'll fix modding once and for all! Nitwits!

Spank$hot_BT

Feb 11, 2008
UT3 wasn't meant for US.
It wasn't meant for competitive pc pr0 gamer, but for casual console "****ing around" players.

Not only the consolish things, but also they pointed out when it's name was Envy that it would have been "easier to play". Or the stupid plot, who cares about all the single player thing here in this forum

Absolutely, the game has taken a major backwards step for PC to accomodate casual console gamers. i believe another thread mentions UT3 on PS3 has taken all the hardcore PC players, but there's nothing hardcore about UT3 in the first place. Simplified gameplay, consolized interface, plain dumb single player.

I would gladly make maps for PS3-UT3 if they'd just made the PC game everything it should of been. The games could share the maps since PS3 players have no idea how to play them properly anyway BUT the pc game must be different, not an half assed 20% speed difference when they realise cross platform play won't work. What was the point of nerfing movement (among many other things) on the PC when the PS3 crowd cannot even utilise the very basic movement that remains.

On the bright side, if the industry is to continue this trend towards consolization then surely we will only need to upgrade our PCs once every 6 years. I'm not going to pay through the nose as i have been doing to play console games.

Also on the bright side. If epic do continue to fail the PC gamers/modders then the only way they'll be able to encourage PC modders to build custom content for their games will be through xbox live type systems, where console gamers will have to pay for custom content and the mapper gets a slice. Be some kind of screwed up justice there i think.

Last edited:

Unknown Target

Jan 22, 2008
I don't think UT3's gameplay has been consolized at all - it's still the fastest game on both platforms, and the whole weapon nerfing crap that people keep spouting is what's known as balance. The more "extreme" or "pro" players just want to go back to lightning gun duels, or shock comboing people from half the map away. Now a newer player can at least dent the upper player if the latter screws up - before, even if he screwed up he could pop out the shield gun, run away and grab health, then just continue hitscanning from a distance. How has the movement been nerfed? What, you can't leap thirty feet now? I'm sorry, but go back and play the original UT - it plays much more like UT3, and I would know because I was just at a LAN where we played the former in a 16 person deathmatch, so it's still fresh in my mind.

But I digress.

UT3's gameplay has not been significantly altered for console play, only the interface has been IMO.

Last edited:

haslo

Moar Pie!
Jan 21, 2008
Bern CH
www.haslo.ch
the whole weapon nerfing crap that people keep spouting is what's known as balance.

Agreed :) The fun thing is that the same people who complain that weapons have been nerfed are also complaining that the stinger is overpowered, and the enforcer should be toned down. What, they're not pea shooters anymore? Gee get a grip...