Epic has problems with dates

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JimmyJ

CTF Craver
Dec 28, 2005
blah blah
Theres a 2003, a 2004, and a 1999....what happened to 05 and 06?? Seems that 07 should be called 06 to me, because its not gonna be released my 07, it clearly states that it will be released in 06 :mad:

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
Here we go again.

Epic made a bad choice with the naming convention, and it seems that they're still sticking with it, and theres nothing we can do to stop them, so just live with it.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
If Epic didn't use the year convention people might actually expect to get more than 1.5 years of play out of their games, and that's just unacceptable if Epic wants maximal profit.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
It's not Epic that has a problem with names ... it's people like you that think that names hold any significance at all.

I don't give a f*ck what they're calling their games. They could have gone for the boring old v1 - v5.1 style of regular software.

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
JimmyJ said:
Theres a 2003, a 2004, and a 1999....what happened to 05 and 06?? Seems that 07 should be called 06 to me, because its not gonna be released my 07, it clearly states that it will be released in 06 :mad:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: OMG, are you serious...?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And as said before... ...point me to a game that is named UT99 and I might consider reconsidering my opinions about the considerings of your brain.

Last edited:

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Also, releasing one game a year is a BAD IDEA THAT NOBODY LIKES.

JaFO said:
It's not Epic that has a problem with names ... it's people like you that think that names hold any significance at all.

Talk to any marketing person anywhere and they'll tell you that names matter.

Epic's naming choice for this game is pretty terrible. They say they want to push the game forward into new territories, yet they use a name that will tie the game back directly to the failed UT2003/UT2004. People outside of the UT community are already writing off UT2007 as "more of the same", despite the evidence to the contrary. That wouldn't happen (at least to the extent that it is at the moment) if the name was UT4 for example. It also raises the embaressing question (as has already been noted) about where 2005 and 2006 went. There's not a single good reason for keeping the name as 2007.

Maxx

Bite Me
Dec 19, 2003
As long they keep the phrase "Unreal Tournament" in the name it`s ok for me.....
I prefer good games with bad names to bad games with good names anyways......

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Bullet10k said:
Epic made a bad choice with the naming convention, and it seems that they're still sticking with it, and theres nothing we can do to stop them, so just live with it.

Indeed, a very bad choice..imho.
Curse this 99 thing. Curse it.

JimmyJ said:
Theres a 2003, a 2004, and a 1999....
:umno:

Lazy people use the horrible ut99 for the first Unreal Tournament game :)
It really isn't that difficult. When someone says UT, they must be talking about the first UT game. That's the idea.

If they want to talk about the sequels, why not simply type the horribly long names Ut2003/Ut2004...

But most people think their fingers will fall off after putting such incredible strain on their fingers ;=)

Ah well, I can only laugh at it...
It's messy.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Yeah, but it's also a bit monotonous. UT3, UT4...
A little extra wouldn't hurt.
UT4: rise of the nali combat potatoes.. a wild,silly suggestion ;-)
You get the idea.

Stick to one powerfull word.

Last edited:

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
NeoNite said:
Indeed, a very bad choice..imho.
Curse this 99 thing. Curse it.

:umno:

Lazy people use the horrible ut99 for the first Unreal Tournament game :)
It really isn't that difficult. When someone says UT, they must be talking about the first UT game. That's the idea.

If they want to talk about the sequels, why not simply type the horribly long names Ut2003/Ut2004...

But most people think their fingers will fall off after putting such incredible strain on their fingers ;=)

Ah well, I can only laugh at it...
It's messy.

If you simple say UT or Uneal Tournament it doesn't automatically mean the frist UT at all, in many cases it represents the whole franchise of Unreal Tournament hence why people will say 2003/2004 or 2k3/2k4 and thus why UT99 came up, because when people were debating specific elements of gameplay over the whole hsitory fo Unreal Tournament it was necesary to specify.

Also people who are still stressing about the name of the next game being UT:Envy, did you not get the memo? That was teh name of the game whilst in development and was never intended as it's name on release but, thus far UT2007 seems to be the title.