Tactical Ops 3 Update

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Tactical Ops 3 is a continuation of the modification that has long been a part of the Unreal Tournament series. This latest version is being developed using Unreal Tournament 3. Below are some of the latest images from renders and basic level builds.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Is it me or are Chaos and TO the only mods being made for UT3 ?

It is a bit too quiet on the mod-front lately ...
At this point in time even a mod like TO is a refreshing change from UT3's standard game.

SuperDre

May 6, 2002
Helmond.nl
www.superteam.tk
Hmm.. Bad name as TO3 is the Retailversion..
Also I wonder if they actually got permission for using the tactical ops name, I know the team for TO:Crossfire did have permission, and looking at the crewlist of this new mod I don't see anyone from the original team or crossfire team..

Also the reason for not seeing a lot of mods is the fact that ut3 isn't out that long and epic still doesn't have a 'Make something unreal contest' which ofcourse is a major boost to moddevelopment. also the fact that modding ut3 means you've got to start from scratch again, which isn't something current UT2k4 modders are very happy about (at least I'm not happy about it as a programmer)..

dub

Feb 12, 2002
I can see a couple of dudes who worked on TO:C like Ssswing, Zer0.BE and if that's the same one, Storm.

But until you mentioned it, I had just presumed it was the same guys from TO:C. I'm quite surprised it isn't. I can't see the finished product having that much to do with TO, though some would argue that TO:C had little to do with TO:AOT.
IMO this will just be another Realism styled shooter with the TO name tacked on for "hype".

I'm not at all interested in the mod this time round (First I'd have to buy UT3 :-)). I was sort of anticipating TO:C, but it didn't captivate me at all and I only ended up playing it a few times.

{Ogre}Spin

Apr 24, 2002
Visit site
As someone involved in both TO and TO:C I wasn't really interested in spending further months and years developing the same game a 3rd time personally, but there are a few of the TO:C crew involved and among them some that have been with TO since the early days.

I wish them luck, but to be frank if I thought it had a chance of success I would be involved this time around. My experience, however, leads me to expect little (sorry fellas).

I would wish them luck, however, since there doesn't seem to be that many mods in the works for ut3 and I'd like to justify the expense of my copy :)

Calichusetts

Feb 10, 2008
Hello All...

Saw this post and as I am member of the TO3 team, thought I would share some info with you:

Yes, we do have several members from the TO:C team, and YES we do have members from the originial beginning to work with us (shhh...right now they are a secret)

Next, I do see that the mods for UT3 are far and few between. But thats just better for us, WE WILL GET A WIDER AUDIENCE!!! Also, I'm sure once Epic gets all their bugs and patches sorted out, they will sit back and fuel the modding community, and lucky for us, we will be far ahead of the curve by then.

Unfortunately, I must agree that TO:C missed the mark in terms of an AoT remake, that is why our mod is FOCUSED ON A 1:1 AoT remake. The physics should feel the closest since the AoT release. Of course, we will take advantage of everything that UT3 has to offer, we have an extremely dedicated core team that refuses to compromise on vision and quality.

Finally, the TO3 name. My suggestion was TO: R3volution, shortened as TO:3, but TO3 won the day, which I kind of like since its similar to the engine name UT3. We don't have to worry about copyright or infringements at this moment, but we are making sure that is worked out, in case of a retail pick-up.

Stop by the site any time guys, always room for more, peace out.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
I guess no one advertises on BU anymore ;)
'cause that appears to be the major change since the previous versions.

Mind I can see why fewer teams would want to mod for UT3 as they wouldn't reach that large an audience.
yeah ... it's all about the money now.
I wished people would start modding simply because they'd like to built something they liked to play themselves instead. I'm sure we'd see better mods as well as (IMHO) the best mods have always been built by teams that wanted to create something fun instead of something that was popular.

{Ogre}Spin

Apr 24, 2002
Visit site
That's pretty much how I feel about it JaFO, modding should be for fun, not for "in case of retail pickup", which is to be brutally honest virtually impossible for most.

Personally I'd like to see more stuff like the creation by the air-buccaneers people where they just took something that was interesting to play with and evolved the fun.

I've been disheartened by the mod scene for a while (just look at the modDB link to see how many mods are remakes of games, survival horror, steampunk or other clichéd ideas that are ten a penny and will likely never see more than a website and some weapon renders). I'd like to see more inventive stuff geared towards plain old fun and not the belief that a mod will be the next CS.

I'm sure the guys behind TO3 are motivated, talented and capable, it's just that I'd love to see fewer 'generic' mods and the pool of people in UT modding working on something that adds value to my UT3 purchase rather than mods which I know will die in the water when the team doesn't get the expected thousands of players.

One thing that bemuses me is that with the PS3 mod ability people aren't writing fun flying games that use sixaxis or other such ideas. UT3 modding brings with it the capability to push new boundaries, but so far I've yet to see any sign of it...I just have to hope that there are people beavering away quietly on little projects they havent found the need to tell the world about just yet.

Deapblade

Jul 15, 2004
That transformers kind of mod (don't remember the name) was also very nifty, different
and fun to play. Can anyone remember the name?

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Hmm, either... Counter Organic Revolution (most likely) Battle for Chronos (maybe, but that was more mech stuff) or Union City Blue (doubt you meant that)

Juguard

The King Is Dead, Punk Rock Lives!
Nov 30, 1999
Tustin CA, USA
Visit site
well, I honestly would love to see modders make a realistic shooter, too many arcade mods. Might be far more popular, since no one makes them anymore. I would support it as much as I can. As a Rainbow Six fan, I miss them :( I said it, that the only way to get that style of gameplay, is if the community make a mod, Ubisoft wont deliver what Red Storm did in the past. Sad, very sad. :( Everything since Raven Shield sucked, haven't bought one.

Yoshiro

Jul 22, 2003
Visit site
well, I honestly would love to see modders make a realistic shooter, too many arcade mods. Might be far more popular, since no one makes them anymore. I would support it as much as I can. As a Rainbow Six fan, I miss them :( I said it, that the only way to get that style of gameplay, is if the community make a mod, Ubisoft wont deliver what Red Storm did in the past. Sad, very sad. :( Everything since Raven Shield sucked, haven't bought one.

I was actually thinking about seeing if I could start one up. As a fan of rainbow 6 as well I am quite disappointed with were the game has gone. Starting to talk with a few of my friends to see if I can gain interest in such a project.

But it looks like the TO guys have a good size team already under there belt which is always a great boost to a mod (lots of 2k3/4 mods died because of lack of staff sadly).

Just my opinion here, but I think the mods of the UT 3 community need to be friendly competition, not pure competition, because just like in the games industry, the mod community mainly reinvents the wheel every few months when a new mod starts. A little collaboration between mods can go a long way.

Last edited: