Best PC Joystick

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ChazzL

Apr 16, 2012
I just ran across my old UT game disc and am re-acquainting myself with this great game.
I'm running Win7 and wonder what the best choice of a joystick would be today.
Any suggestions?

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Wait... you want to play UT with this?!
53jriu.png

ChazzL

Apr 16, 2012
I understand your point Glider. I'm not great at typing though, and with only one hand to type (the other is on the mouse), I find it limiting. Also, I have to keep looking down at the keyboard. So I'm thinking I can do more with a joystick than I can a mouse and still use the keyboard with my left hand.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
It takes practice, but you will soon find out the true potential of using WASD+Mice if you give yourself the chance. We all started somewhere.

Glider of chaos

Ready 2 Fight !
Jan 25, 2004
Russia, St-Petersburg
Typing and playing are two totally different things. The fact that you're not good at typing doesn't mean you can't play with your hand on WASD. Once you practice a bit it will feel really natural. And I don't think anyone uses only one hand only when typing in ingame chat. People just let mouse go for a brief moment while they type ;)

Skillz

ut-files.com
Nov 29, 2003
www.planetmonsterhunt.com
Not to get into the debate of which one is the best for gaming; however I used to play with someone who used a joystick to play UT as well and his aim was extremely well.

We played "Giant Maps" (bathrooms, living room, kitchen, etc..) under Low Gravity @ 155% speed and 55% air control.

He had no problem being the top 3 almost every game.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
To make a point, WSAD+Mouse is good, but the best control scheme is an analogue stick and a mouse (except for dodging, but that's a UT specific as it requires a double-tap), since it gives you much greater flexibility in control.

Agent_5

Replica?
Jan 24, 2004
UT
I'm not great at typing though, and with only one hand to type (the other is on the mouse), I find it limiting. Also, I have to keep looking down at the keyboard. So I'm thinking I can do more with a joystick than I can a mouse and still use the keyboard with my left hand.
So if I'm understanding this right, your main complaint with a mouse and keyboard setup is the keyboard? Try the Logitech g13 or the Belkin Nostromo n50/n52

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
I just ran across my old UT game disc and am re-acquainting myself with this great game.
I'm running Win7 and wonder what the best choice of a joystick would be today.
Any suggestions?

As far UT goes, it's mouse and keyboard. If you fancy playing it with something else, gamepad will be the 2nd option, but mind you UT will work only with DirectInput gamepads, and they are not among the best ones. If you want a joystick, the best one would be Saitek X-52, however I'd say this one is good only for flying games.

ChazzL

Apr 16, 2012
I actually did better in the past when I had a joystick in place of the mouse and still used the left hand on the keyboard. It made a lot more commands instantly available with the joystick buttons. You didn't have to look down or take your hand off the mouse. (So thanks to you guys that tried to answer my question, and not tell me I should play their way).
That Logitech g13 and the Belkin Nostromo n50/n52 look pretty cool. Do you use that like a keyboard in with the left hand and still use the mouse in the right?

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
If you are set on a controller instead of a mouse, an XBox 360 is the best controller for PC gaming. Just plug it in and Windows 7 should recognize it and download the drivers for it. Works as good on the PC as it does on the XBawx.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
That Logitech g13 and the Belkin Nostromo n50/n52 look pretty cool. Do you use that like a keyboard in with the left hand and still use the mouse in the right?

Yes. I've used the Nostromo n52 for a while now and I'll never go back to a keyboard.