I wish I could....

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
If I had the time or resources, some things I wish I could do are....

…..Learn how to make a UT2k4 video. I don’t want to make an “OMG, I’m more 1337 than U!” video. Let’s face it. I’m not more “leet” than your average Joe. I want to make a video for cinematic purposes, such as taking a certain song and applying it to UT2k4, using staged “acting”, synchronization, etc. to interpret the song. I’ve got a few songs that have been in my head for some time, and every time I hear them I can picture in my mind exactly how it could be played out in a 2k4 video.

…..Learn how to make models and skins. There are several skins that I’d love to make and see in this game that I can visualize but don’t know how to create. There are other custom skins/models that I’ve seen that I would love to redo because I think they could be much, much better.

…..Learn how to map. I’ve got ideas for a couple of CTF maps, but I just don’t have the time to learn how to do them. Also, I’ve got an idea on combining two maps from two similar but different game types to make a unique map. I’ve pretty much got the entire design in my head, but just don’t know how and don’t have the time to create it.

…..Learn some useful gaming skills that would be beneficial for me to know. An example is shield jumping. I can do a simple shield jump, but I rarely use it. Shield jumping is extremely useful in CTF, but I have just never taken the time to master it. I’d like to be able to do such things as climb the front of the base in Maul with the shield gun so you can go through the window with the flag. Things like that. I know the principle of how they’re done, I just haven’t been able to actually practice doing them.

DeaJae

taking a month's break
May 7, 2001
England
www.littleportitservices.co.uk
Renegade Retard said:

BLAH
…..Learn how to map. I’ve got ideas for a couple of CTF maps, but I just don’t have the time to learn how to do them. Also, I’ve got an idea on combining two maps from two similar but different game types to make a unique map. I’ve pretty much got the entire design in my head, but just don’t know how and don’t have the time to create it.

BLAH

0672326922.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

:)

LooseCannon

... but it's not pink ... ooh yes it is!
Oct 27, 2004
Hampshire, UK
Hey Ren, I hope that's a positive WHEN I have time and resources I AM going to do some of this stuff, and not a negative, frustration feeling. There're so many great things to try in real and virtual life. We can't have The Renegade Retard getting down!

I wish I could:
1. Work out some kind of routine for online fragging that fits nice and comfortably around wife, house and work;
2. Get to know some of you better (note the 'some' ;) );
3. Never, ever fire and move in a completely random, thoughtless and uncontrolled manner;
4. Consistently take note of my health/armor, ammo, location and power up times, throughout a game and at regular intervals without spoiling my consentration;
5. Read forum threads 1000 times faster, no make that 1 billion times faster, because good threads can take ages to keep up with;

I'm perfectly happy not to:
1. Map;
2. Skin;
3. Think that I'll ever have enough time to do all that I'd like to.

Only UT2k4 related here of course, never OT stuff from me ;). The real life list would be ef'n huge.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Renegade Retard said:

…..Learn how to make a UT2k4 video.

…..Learn how to make models and skins.

…..Learn how to map.

…..Learn some useful gaming skills that would be beneficial for me to know.
Pretty big list there, Ren. :hmm:
Each of them takes a big amount of time (I think), and I don't think you're going to get away with anything unless you start focussing things.

On the bright side: if you downsize to one goal you do have the time to do it and the resources as well. Oh, and you also have a bunch of people scattered around the earth that would motivate you whenever you feel down ;)

Cheers,
:cheers:
Taleweaver

@Loosecannon: nice wish list there as well, buddy. Luckily, yours seem easier to accomplish :)

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
I know where you're at Ren, I think of the same kind of things. But there's only so much time in a day.

You have to choose what you want, you can't do it all.

I like meshing/texturing, and when I get done with mah uber map I'll make some models. I wanted to do that in 2k3 but couldn't because FragBU was like trying to keep a balloon inflated that had a big hole in it. Don't have to do that anymore. :p

Now I've got some time.

DaBeatard

Mr.How
Nov 20, 2002
Visit site
I wish I was a baller...

I tried mapping Ren, and it can be an exercise in frustration. My gf was about to leave me because of the 2k3 video. Skins are fairly easy to do (while modeling is tough). Gaming skills probably seems like the area where you'll notice an improvement right away.

All four of those things are pretty time consuming. You may want to pick one and have a go at that for a bit.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
OMFG someone got one of my hip-hop pop-culture references here. That's amazing.

Yeah, I'm sure you know by now what achieveing game skills takes. The movie thing came pretty easy to me, but I've got a natural eye for photography, so most of the time was spent learning the programs, and actual cpu time contructing them.

I haven't looked into mapping/modeling/texturing because those are all too "creative" for me, and I've never been good at starting from the ground up. Coding, to do things for mutators on the other hand is something I've debated learning....

You know, I prolly should. It's one thing I can't blame my rig for. Video's, and competative play, I seem limited by my specs, but coding... I have not excuses for other then laziness.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
If you want to feel the most productive, learn skinning and trick-jumping. Mapping won't just come to you; I've been trying it for two years and still don't have it. Course, I don't have any design books/tutorials; just learned from messing around. You don't even have to learn trick-jumping, just a couple of techniques that could help you in CTF like you said. It's not too hard, you just have to work on the timing of it all.

Just be aware that a simple tap of the fire button is more efficient than charging the shield a little bit and uses only 20 health. Combine this with a walldodge and you've got yourself a quick getaway with the flag. This works well on DuelingKeeps if you want somewhere to practice. Grab the flag, run to the edge by the flak, turn around and do a tap-jump by only aiming like 45 degrees downwards, then turn around and walldodge off the wall and you're out of the base.

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
I don't want to be an Uber modeller or coder, but I feel like I need to learn to do it at least decently. I have the mapping part down, but I have some truly cool ideas for things that I just can't do due to my coding and or modeling inexperience.

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
Maybe one of these days some of us J2 guys will actually start the trick-jumping "instructional" video, showing techniques for actual in-game use. Not only shield jumping, but shock and goo as well as those take the least damage and can really get you out of a tight spot or that extra lil' distance to your flag stand when needed.

What do ya say Turns. You wanna get on that this week? We can hop on my listen server and start recording some demos. :)

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Hey, this is radio station W-S-K-E-E
We're takin' calls off the wish line
Making all your wacky wishes come true

Hello

1-I wish I was little bit taller,
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a girl who looked good
I would call her
I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat
and a '64 Impala

I wish I was like six-foot-nine
So I could get with Leoshi
Cause she don't know me but yo she's really fine
You know I see her all the time
Everywhere I go, and even in my dreams
I can scheme of ways to make her mine
Cause I know she's livin phat
Her boyfriend's tall and he plays ball
So how am I gonna compete with that
'Cause when it comes to playing basketball
I'm always last to be picked
And in some cases never picked at all
So I just lean upon the wall
Or sit up in the bleachers with the rest of the girls
Who came to watch their men ball
Dag y'all! I never understood
Why the jocks get the fly girls
And me I get the hood rats
I tell 'em scat, skittle, skibobble
Got hit with a bottle
And put in the hospital, for talkin' that mess
I confess it's a shame when you livin' in a city
That's the size of a box and nobody knows yo' name
Glad I came to my senses
Like quick-quick got sick-sick to my stomach
Overcome with my thoughts of me and her together
Right?
So when I asked her out she said I wasn't her type
(rpt 1, 1)

I wish I had a brand-new car
So far, I got this hatchback
And everywhere I go, yo I gets laughed at
And when I'm in my car I'm laid back
I got an 8-track and a spare tire in the backseat
But that's flat
And do you really wanna know what's really wack, What
See I can't even get a date
So, what do you think of that?
I heard that prom night is the bomb night
With a hood rat you can hold tight
But really tho' on figuero
When I'm in my car I can't even get a hello
Well so many people wanna cruise Crenshaw on Sunday
Well then I'm gonna have to get in my car and go
You know I take the 110 to the 105
Get off on Crenshaw tell my homies look alive
Cause it's hard to survive
Livin' in a concrete jungle and
These girls just keep passin' me by
She looks fly, she looks fly
Makes me say my, my, my
(rpt 1, 1)

I wish I was a little bit taller...
I wish I was a baller...
I wish I was a little bit taller y'all
I wish I was a baller (3)

Hey, I wish I had my way
'Cause everyday would be a Friday
You could even speed on the highway
I would play ghetto games
Name my kids ghetto names
Little Mookie, big Al, Lorraine
Yo you know that's on the real
So if you're down on your luck
Then you should know just how I feel
Cause if you don't want me around
See I go simple, I go easy, I go greyhound
Hey, you, what's that sound?
Everybody look what's going down
Ahhhh, yes, ain't that fresh?
Everybody wants to get down like that
(rpt 1, 1)

I wish, I wish, I wish...

I wish - Skee-Lo

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Ren, you want me to teach you how to make a model?

It's not really hard, but you'll have to buy Milkshape. I don't know how to use any of the other programs.

We can start a thread, work through it till it's finished.
It'll probably help alot of people that want to try modeling but don't know where to start.

it's up to you. ;)

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Hanover_Fist said:
Ren, you want me to teach you how to make a model?

It's not really hard, but you'll have to buy Milkshape. I don't know how to use any of the other programs.

We can start a thread, work through it till it's finished.
It'll probably help alot of people that want to try modeling but don't know where to start.

it's up to you. ;)

Nah, but thanks.

These are all things I'd love to do, but just don't have the time or energy to take to learn them. I've got a lot of great ideas that I'd like to try one day. I was just venting that I'd love to be able to get around to actually putting my ideas in practice.

Mark it up there with the "one of these days, I'm going to write a book about....". It's one of those things you'd love to do someday because you've got lots of great ideas, but you'll probably never get around to doing.

Some of the ideas that I have range from simple to complex, but I hesitate to share them because you can never guarrantee that someone else will do it the way you'd like to see it. For instance, one skin idea I have is to use Brock as a base to create a good Superman skin (not some of the crap ones that's been created), complete with dynamic cape that moves when jumping, falling, etc. A mapping idea I had involved combining a certain vCTF map with a certain CTF map in a way that both game styles would have to be played withing the single map. These two maps would be combined into one map, allowing for complete interaction between the two, but requiring both playing styles. I won't even get into some of the video ideas I have.

Again, would love to, but will probably never get around to any of it.

captainrad

admiral spock!
Feb 15, 2004
regarding mapping, id say its the second easist on that list.
you can make a simple map in less than a couple of hours.

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
Mapping isn't simple or easy in the slightest. It's easy to make DM-OMG_REDEEMERSINABOX_LOLOLOL.ut2 for example, but that hardly takes a great feat of intellect to do. A decent map takes a lot of hard work and skill, plus modelling, skinning, maybe even some coding experience if you want to go custom with it. Then you've got to think about layout, flow, item placement, vehicle placement (where applicable), balance, while taking into account the theme you're going for, making sure the map is optimized and doesn't run like crap, and so on and so on.

Anyone that thinks mapping is easy hasn't got the first idea about how difficult it actually is to create a good map that flows well and looks nice at the same time, without going excessively in one direction or the other.

captainrad

admiral spock!
Feb 15, 2004
radiosity were you saying that to me? cuase i totally said simple map. and it was already bold and awesome in my last post to create an emphasis.

Last edited:

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
captainrad - no, it wasn't particularly aimed at you, I do read threads before posting ;) It was just a general observation on something that a lot of people seem to think is an 'easy ride', which mapping most certainly isn't these days, and it's only getting more and more complicated, what with the introduction of things like Normal Mapping and so on.