your perfect idea of an unreal 1 remake

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ElectronicPest

Apr 18, 2006
yeah yeah i know unreal was already a perfect game but could of been quite a bit better :D

heres mine

- it would use the unrealE v3.0
- it would have unreal and rtnp combined along with some extra maps
- it would have an inventory system like in survival horror games/rpg games where you can examine and combine items, so some items would be used for unlocking doors and solving puzzles
-new guns,armor types and items
- you can also use your translator as a memo for things for puzzles and for a journal that you can put down whatever you want in
- more enemies and bosses like
a mercenary mech
a large geneticly altered skaarj with four arms
skaarj vehicles
a krall elder
a lava slith
- it would have puzzles put in
-better ai (elites control the lower ranks, like the krall elite can command krall)
- vehicle scenes put in
- most levels combined because UE3.0 can handle very large levels
- the level list
1.Vortex rikers and Nyleve falls
2.Both mine levels
3.Outer chizra and both Inner chizra levels
4.Dark arena,skaarj lab (extra level) and Harobed
5.Terraniux and Noork
6.Vandora temple,trench and isv-kran
7.sunspire village and sunspire
8.journey to sunspire (in this level you use a turret like gun you find in the isv-kran to ward off skaarj fighters and if you didnt want it just to save space in the inv then tough luck for you pal, then you crash into a skaarj patrol cruiser guarding the sky islands and have to fight your way to the hangar/escape pods, each will take you to different island
9. sky island 1 or 2 (they are in the same level for coop purposes)
10.Fight with the Golem/or caverns leading to bluff eversmoking (depending on your choice of island)
11.bluff/dasa levels combined
12.boat ride to the nali castle (you control the boat and the canyon is bigger)
and nali castle
13.Warlord Boss fight (he doesnt teleport away this time) and Demon crater
(this time you must use a skaarj fighter to get there and you have to destroy the turrets and enemy fighters
14.MotherShip
15.Escape pod ride (you have to get into the cockpit and just sit back and watch the ride from the inside)
16.Dream level where its some parts from different levels combined

and the levels from rtnp but this time the teleporter in the arctic house takes you to a desert enviroment with a mercenary base in it and it takes up 2 levels, merc base and the buggy ride through the desert, then you have a level where you journey to the castle
- translator conversations with
Krall - where you can start a krall rebellion or do a mission for them so they wont attack you
Nali - you can do missions for them
Mercenaries - get help from them
- you can only load/save in safe places like the start of the trench level
- Better coop where it depends more on teamwork and not getting lost (it has the load/save and you can only go to the next level when everybody is at the end part of the level, also if you are knocked out then the skaarj or mercenaries can take you to a certain part of the level and hold you hostage)
- parts where you must hack computers (its kind of like a minigame and there are different methods)
-mainly deisigned for coop
-when you are poisoned you have a certain amount of time to live to find/make an antidote

ok im done

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
From the modest list of changes it sounds like a new game.
In any case I'd much rather prefer something new than a rehash. Let the pro studios bake up a sequel w/ thier proven recipies, cookie cutters and jello molds. Amatuer mod projects are really the only place you'll have complete creative control and the ability to try something new.

dinwitty

DeRegistered User
Nov 10, 1999
midwest,USA
www.qtm.net
I would

Technically remake Unreal/RTNP to current tech standards, but leave everything else the same storywise, all moods music, everyting else the same just improved.

This gets the new gamers knowledgable about the Unreal story.

BTW, if you didnt know, in the beta many levels were one level but were split off.
ISVKran was one level.

For Unreal 3 We have to catch up with our fav prisoner 849.
We may visit Na Pali, but then we have to move on to the other regions
such as the home of the Krall. and The Mercenaries.

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
I'd like to see the original HUB idea expanded. There's an earlier version of Unreal someone (Selerox?) dug up that has Nyleve and Passage as one level, and you go off to Dig/Dug as one level, and start a torch under a boiler, then go through Chizra/Ceremoney as one level and start the water flowing to actiavte a lift up to Dark Arena. Very cool. Very, very cool.
I'd like to see RtNP integrated with the original level set, and of course some levels mixed that weren't necessarily before, this'd be my ideal level list (although, really, I'd love to see it reimagined. I don't want the same levels room for room, for instance...)
Vortex
Nyleve/Passage
Dig/Dug
Nyleve/Passage
Chizra/Ceremoney
Nyleve/Passage
Dark/Harobed
Terra Lift/Terranuix1/2
Noork/Ruins/Trench
ISV Kran decks 4,3,2,1
Spire Village/Sunspire
Gateway/Skytown/Outpost 3J
Temple of Velora (this was truncated and used in RtNP)
Aztec Canyon (this one bears a vague resemblance to Watcher/Abyss, but I can't be certain. The music is very similar. You actually fight other humans in this one, and they use the skins that were 'hidden' in U1's skin files. A Skaarj escape pod launches partway through and you're too late for it.)
Cryoxx (Merc ship with tubes of Liquid Nitro. Notrogen Slith. Exit needs work and is quite abrupt and hidden.)
Soledad's Canyon (This eventually became Spire Valley, and has a hidden crashed ship that can be explored and a temple entrance that's not used. In Spire Valley it leads to Nagomi. There's an exit that seems like it might be related to that entrance, but it's highly unfinished. Conciveably, one exit could lead to Jrath and the other to Soledad)
Skaarj Temple of Jrath
Temple of Soledad, (Skaarj breeding farm)
Velora Pass (this has a whole underground puzzle element that I wish had been kept.)
Bluff
Dasa Pass/Cellars/Serpent Canyon
NaliC/NaliLord
Demon Crater/ExtremeBeg
Mothership Labs/Mothership Core/SkaarjGen/Illumination/Darkening/ExtremeEnd
Queen End.

Not sure where to fit in RtNP with that, since some of the levels would be repeated, but maybe re-crossing the old path on occasion would be intresting.
One of the original ideas in Nyleve (the path nodes are even still there) was to have the WarLord right there, have him laugh at you, and then fly off. I like the way you'd chase him through the levels, made it that much more satisfying when you finally put him down, and it's a great way to punctuate the Generator fight.

One of the biggest things, though, is I'd want to see the scale increased, at least when it comes to the HUb levels, have them on the scale of ONS Dria or Panalesh if not more so they really feel like open wilderness. This'd be where vehicles would come in handy, of various sorts, and could be integrated w/o ending up with that obonxious "this is where you get to use the jeep" thing. Provide different routes, some traverable by vehicle, some only on foot, some a bit of each, etc...

Ideally, I'd like to see the seamless world idea actualized, using UE3's ability to link levels together, to make Na Pali one place that all interrelated and interconnected. Like it all became some giant Myst puzzle.
Like an MMORPG but focused, so you're not just wandering around hitting rats with axes for months on end... Like an FPS in an MMORPG's world, or something, because as nice and wonderful an idea as completely open-ended gameplay is, it rarely gets implemented well. You'd be exploring and wandering about and figuring out what you need to do to advance, and what the best routes are, and Skaarj patrols and such would be roaming about for you to either avoid or confront, or miss entirely depending on where you are relative to their movements, but you'd always be making progress, you'd always be going somewhere and getting closer to the next area.
With this in mind, I'd love to have some kind of system that tracked the relations of the different races with respect to each other, so the political dynamics of the world would change around you even if you wandered back to the old areas, later in the game alliances start going down the tubes; the Nali are getting word that their savior has come, the Krall are sensing blood in the Skaarj's waters, the Skaarj are cracking down militarily, the Mercs are siding with whichever group seems most likely to gain the upper-hand at whatever moment, even siding with you if humans at any point should gain dominant status, and the key thing would be that your actions can influence these relations in various ways, like you could aide a Nali resistance team and up their standing, or ignore them and let the Skaarj gain more power in that sector, perhaps to lead them into Merc territory, or into the territory of a rival Skaarj clan? There's an idea, have a couple of factions on the planet, maybe, one dominant one with the Mothership and the Queen and a couple groups that broke-off some time ago or have landed to try and wrest the Traydium stores for themselves, away from the established clan, and maybe they use Izarians instead of Krall... So many possibilities.

The biggest thing of all, though, is it HAS to nail the atmosphere. That beautiful, punk-goth-esque feel, (that's the best I can express it, verbally) has to be captured for it to work at all...

Last edited:

ElectronicPest

Apr 18, 2006
sorry level 8 is journey to skyisland

and yeah instead of velora pass you go to the desert place with cryoxx and soledad and its in hub mode that would be great.But I think it would be better if cryoxx was after the house teleporter

and a time system where the translocator would work as a clock would be great

and ya sajik thats what i would probably want

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
Sijik said:
Ideally, I'd like to see the seamless world idea actualized, using UE3's ability to link levels together, to make Na Pali one place that all interrelated and interconnected.

Technically they could turn all those maps in all of Unreal and RNTP into one completely seamless game. I'd prefare just to see something set on Na Pali, on different locations done in the style visual of Unreal, With Skaarj, Nali, Vehicles and seemless, open exploration. Possibly in the setting of a war on Na Pali between Humans and Skaarj, over control of Tarydium, with the poor nali caught in between :lol: Some ship wreck of all other races that have crashed on na pali would be a sweet way to introduce new Races, and great scenery!

Maybe even the Nali, themselves, crash landed on Na pali from a ship millions of years ago! It would make an Interesting U2k7 Mod

ElectronicPest

Apr 18, 2006
well i also have an idea for unreal 3

How bout you play as a new character who crash lands on a planet in an unknown part of the galaxy far away from na pali

Have a completely different skaarj faction that has colonised this planet
no mercenaries but those blue guys from mission 1 in unreal 2 would be nice
and have another race that is rival to this faction of skaarj
Also the queen and warlord of this skaarj faction would have different armor and weapons and you would encounter this queen on rare occasions because it would be a joins in the battle type leader, the warlord would be like that too

maybe have prisoner 849 back except this faction of skaarj captured him/her and are doing experiments on him/her

dinwitty

DeRegistered User
Nov 10, 1999
midwest,USA
www.qtm.net
there were some creatures left out of Unreal 2, which would be right to include in the new Unreal version.
Unreal 3 will need some really clever thinking. We need that mystery back.
And the music to suit, Alex come back!!!

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
THe N, The Striders, The Shian were left out of Unreal 2. The lack of a mystery in the story crucified Unreal 2.

It was all far too predictable, and some part of the story were pointless and used to poorly justify some event or the other ie ( THe Drakk doing biological experiments, WTF, What was the point of that? Were they doing these experiments for any particular reason?)

Tomb Raider 1 & 3 had bascially the same storey line as Unreal 2, they just did it far better and with an actual mystery, and plot twists!

Unreal 3 would definetly need a mystery, Epic should probably hire a story writer like Valve has.

Last edited:

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
Drakk were the only nice twist in Unreal 2, a bit scary IMO. If the developers were to make a sequel to Unreal, let them make sth more like Unreal 1, but make DRAKK the invaders, instead of Skaarj. And reveal some mystery behind Drakk.

BTW, Drakk bioexperiments were probably some sort of frankensteinish way to self-improve.

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
gregori said:
Unreal 3 would definetly need a mystery, Epic should probably hire a story writer like Valve has.
Well, this is just my opinion and I'm probably going to piss-off someone, but Valve doesn't haev mystery in their story, they just plain don't have a story yet. Everyone assumes they do, so it comes accross as mysterious as to how it all hangs together, but it seems to me that they just don't have a pot yet and they're trying to figure it out, hiding the randomness of events with this Deus Ex Machina Administrator/G-Man stuff.
They might have some huge, interlocking storyline that blows us all away, but they haven't given me any reason to believe that yet.
--
I've seen too many FPSes these days focus on plot and story and making it feel like some movie. I want Unreal to be a place, not an event. Unreal needs writers who are well-versed in hostory and the humanities so they canc reate real people and real civilizations for us to explore and learn about. That's where the mystery should come from, learning the mythologies and motivations of all these different races and why they interact the way they do.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Half-Life still has far more of a story than Unreal 2! Half-Life is one of the only games I can think of that handles its story the same way a film does, in chapters and scenes.

Half life is full of mystery, maybe the writer hasn't created the whole plot yet, but at least its less patronising than Unreal 2's storyline. It lets the player interpret what's going on for themselves, have their own ideas about the story and fill in the missing gaps! It also means Valves hands aren't tied storyline wise, they can change stuff, because it not all that certain. They may not have a plot yet, but because no one knows for sure, they're keeping us guessing at least until Half Life 3!

For Unreal 3, Epic should definetly Hire a writer, like they're doing for Gears, they shouldn't write themselves, they'll f8ck it up! I think Legend did introduce all these races to Unreal, but didn't give them real motivations or excuses to be there, just left them hanging in the void!

Anybody looking for what a perfect unreal remake should look like, look at the UT2k4 custom maps, CTF Avali, ONS Valarna, and CTF Naelir! Now thats how Na pali should look. ;)

They look more like the original Unreal, than the official map DM Rrajigar that came with UT2k4.

ElectronicPest

Apr 18, 2006
yeah i should have called this the your perfect idea of unreal 3

Unreal 3 should not be set in na pali but a diferent world in an unknown sector of space and should include plenty of new races as well as an unknown skaarj faction that has different technology to the one in unreal and ut2004

it should have the gameplay of unreal and it should be longer than it.
A seamless world would be just F***ing perfect,
along with those gameplay ideas i came up with in the first post and
a real time and weather system
Coop would be great

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
too late
It was fun to play but overall just a generic fps.

Unreal3 should be a true sequel, not some remake. Even if just something parallel w/ the original storyline, revisting some parts of Unreal. Several mod have done it already w/ good results (ONP, Skytown Redux, 7Bullets).
If you ask me Epic should enlist some of the talent that's been keeping the sp mod scene alive. The content is only bound to grow and improve if these ppl, creating this stuff already out of hobby, actually get paid. These are the ppl that are in touch w/ the community and want to create something true to the universe but unique enough to stand out and be remembered.

Last edited: