Kinda bored, kinda moody, why not post in O/T?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Los Pescados

Infiltration Team Member
Nov 3, 2000
Surrey, BC, Canada
Jesus Christ, why don't you come save my life now? Open my eyes, blind me with your lies now. - mjk.

That may be misquoted, I can't make out if it's light or lies. Anyhoo, hey look! I got me own O/T thread! Let me start by saying

1337 1337 1337 1337 1337 1337 1337 1337 1337 1337 1337 1337

Okay, now that's off my chest. Dayum.. so, what do you wanna talk about? Oh hey, how about Microsoft. Here's basically my thoughts on everything.

a) Product Activation in Windows XP - Yeah it's a.. how you say, annoyance at best. I don't see it as unlawful in anyway, nor is it an invasion of privacy. You can blither and blather all you want about how Windows should be free, or call Microsoft "Micro$oft". They're a friggin corporation in a capitalist society. What do you want? They have every right to ensure that you are paying for their goods. As for the activation being disabled when you change your hardware much, this will be refined, and it's as easy as making a simple toll-free phone call (or maybe it can even be done over the net) to get it re-activated. Yes, Windows is expensive.. I agree it costs too much. For us Canadian customers, if you want to buy Windows XP Professional (don't get the "home" edition, it's not worth it) you're gonna be shelling out at least $450 + tax, seeing as it's going to be $299 USD. But, can you blame them for being so expensive? Windows is easily the most pirated software in the world. Out of every 1,000 computers running Windows, I'd be willing to bet at most 300 of them actually paid in accordance to the license agreement.
Anyways, back to the privacy issue. When you activate Windows XP, it only needs one bit of info from you. An email address.. actually that might not be right, but of all the info you *can* enter, only one field is required. Furthermore, I think thattt...

HEY, LOOK! A BLUE CAR!!!!! teeheehee!

Los Pescados

Infiltration Team Member
Nov 3, 2000
Surrey, BC, Canada
Exactly my point. People expect them to be good and cheery and do this for the good of man.

There are arguments for both sides. Capitalism/competition drives inginuity in that you are always trying to put out the better product to make more money. However, in the theoretical communist world, everyone would work for the better of humanity, and there would be a lot less corruption, government secrets.. wars....

Inherently both systems are flawed. With capitalism you have greed, corruption, and lies. With communism, well.. we all know what happens when communism is put into practice.

There has to be a better way.

BTW a little history for anyone who thinks they know the definition of communism being a dictatorship, you're wrong. That's how it's flawed. It's because of human nature that something as fantastic as the communist system can never work. With true communism, every one is equal, and we all work for the greater good. :)

But anyhoo, back to the point at hand. Yes, them being a corporation in a capitalist world is the problem, but you can't blame them for their actions. They don't know any better. They are putting out the better product, and they have the right to ensure that their interests are looked after.

Somedays I wish I hadn't gotten up, LOL.

Mike

Donnellizer

Fjæsing!
Jun 17, 2001
Ocean Grove, NJ
Visit site
I agree 100% Los. This is a capitalist USA. They have a right to charge you for their product. If anyone's gonna bitch about it, it won't get them anywhere! If you don't like it, don't buy the damn product. Get Linux or a Mac (hahahahhaha). Oh wait a sec, scratch that, don't get a mac.

Los Pescados

Infiltration Team Member
Nov 3, 2000
Surrey, BC, Canada
LOL. Well, Mac's ain't that bad.. it depends what you want 'em for. They're pretty good if you're a graphic artist, or into sound editing..

Mike

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
The problem isn't being charged with a product. We won't let our government spy on us, why would we let a private coorperation.

It remains me of those bp commercials meant to put a happy face on indiscriminate surveilence.
"What if we talked to your husband and found out you loved to take pictures but died when someone took yours, and that you love swiss cheese. How what if we used that information to plan e-maps to that next shot over the horizon, and made swiss sub sandwiches available." Yeah right, like they care about serving us. Here is a more likely scenario:
""What if we talked to your husband and found out you loved to take pictures but died when someone took yours, and that you love swiss cheese. Now what if we used that information to KILL YOU."