Light maps

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

->Sachiel<-

Jul 24, 2005
Will UT2007 have light maps? What Doom 3 did was to have purely dynamic and self-lit objects, I believe this is a more efficient and accurate way to render a map. Also (taken from BF2) light maps take a year to load and lag up the game much more than Dynamic lights, so I hope UT2007 won't have any light maps.

Lauren

Powered By ZΛLMΛN
Apr 25, 2005
DM_Rankin
Yes it will and it will be better than doom 3 There will come Subsurface Scattering Objecs and HDRI Lights AKA High Dynamic Range Lights'' and some more effects! also HDBM images ''Bump Maps'' amd tje Scattering effects are the best in my eyes to make it realistic

Here are some samples of it!
http://nvidia.com/page/geforce_7800.html

->Sachiel<-

Jul 24, 2005
Doesn't really answer my question, I know those cool lighting effects will be implemented but will they stick to the queer light maps?

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
->Sachiel<- said:
Will UT2007 have light maps? What Doom 3 did was to have purely dynamic and self-lit objects, I believe this is a more efficient and accurate way to render a map. Also (taken from BF2) light maps take a year to load and lag up the game much more than Dynamic lights, so I hope UT2007 won't have any light maps.

It appears to support both light maps and per-pixel lighting. from the Unreal Technology page:http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html/technology/ue30.shtml

• 64-bit color High Dynamic Range rendering pipeline. The gamma-correct, linear color space renderer provides for immaculate color precision while supporting a wide range of post processing effects such as light blooms, lenticular halos, and depth-of-field.
  • Support for all modern per-pixel lighting and rendering techniques including normal mapped, parameterized Phong lighting; custom artist controlled per material lighting models including anisotropic effects; virtual displacement mapping; light attenuation functions; pre-computed shadow masks; directional light maps; and pre-computed bump-granularity self-shadowing using spherical harmonic maps.
  • Advanced Dynamic Shadowing. Unreal Engine 3 provides full support for four shadowing techniques:
    • Dynamic stencil buffered shadow volumes supporting fully dynamic, moving light sources casting accurate shadows on all objects in the scene.
    • Dynamic characters casting dynamic soft, fuzzy shadows on the scene using 16X-oversampled shadow buffers.
    • Ultra high quality and high performance pre-computed shadow masks allow offline processing of static light interactions, while retaining fully dynamic specular lighting and reflections.
    • Directional Light Mapping enables the static shadowing and diffuse normal-mapped lighting of an unlimited number of lights to be precomputed and stored into a single set of texture maps, enabling very large light counts in high-performance scenes.
  • All of the supported shadow techniques are visually compatible and may be mixed freely at the artist's discretion, and may be combined with colored attenuation functions enabling properly shadowed directional, spotlight, and projector lighting effects.
  • Powerful material system, enabling artists to create arbitrarily complex realtime shaders on-the-fly in a visual interface that is comparable in power to the non-realtime functionality provided by Maya.
  • The material framework is modular, so programmers can add not just new shader programs, but shader components which artists can connect with other components on-the-fly, resulting in dynamic composition and compilation of shader code.
  • Full support for seamlessly interconnected indoor and outdoor environments with dynamic per-pixel lighting and shadowing supported everywhere.
  • Artists can build terrain using a dynamically-deformable base height map extended by multiple layers of smoothly-blended materials including displacement maps, normal maps and arbitrarily complex materials, dynamic LOD-based tessellation, and vegetation layers with procedurally-placed meshes. Further, the terrain system supports artist-controlled layers of procedural weathering, for example, grass and vegetation on the flat areas of terrain, rock on high slopes, and snow at the peaks.
  • Volumetric environmental effects including height fog.
  • Extensible particle system with visual editor, supporting particle physics and environmental effects.

->Sachiel<-

Jul 24, 2005
Still doesn't answer my question. I know that the Unreal 3 Engine supports light maps but will they be used in UT2007?

->Sachiel<-

Jul 24, 2005
Originally posted by Bullet10k
Whats a light map?
A light map is a giant texture that is applied over an entire map's textures that emphasizes brightness in different areas and most importantly creates still shadows.

->Sachiel<-

Jul 24, 2005
But you see I did search and did not find anything, so I was wondering if any of you may know anything about the subject.