Question about Unreal 2 Engine

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stiflersmom

MOM?!?!?!
Dec 7, 2000
Bangkok
Visit site
What will it be optimized for? Will it support 3dfx glide at all? because if it is an enhanced unreal tournament engine then it would make sense to optimize it for a voodoo card, like the previous 2 games have been.

but on the other hand, seeing as how 3dfxhas stopped making cards, it would make sense for the engine to be optimized for opengl or direct3d. So what is it?

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
That's funny, I just bought an ELSA GF2 MX card and it is a noticable improvement (visually) from my Voodoo2 cards that I had.

CityIntro.unr timedemo

highdetail world
highdetail actors
1024x768

min. 27.84
max. 76.43
avg. 39.49

and that's on an "old" P2 400 w/128MB RAM.

Deathwing

Raucous Rodentia
Mar 15, 2000
Canada
Unreal 2 will run fine on a Geforce2. You just won't get the same detail levels as on a GF3 though.

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
U2 will shift the Unreal Engine to OpenGL. It probably won't work that well on a Voodoo card, simply because 3dfx shot themselves in the foot and never did code a proper OpenGL driver.

For anyone (like myself) who has a Voodoo card, it'd probably be better to upgrade to a better card such as either a Radeon or GeForce, as some other companies actually know how to code OpenGL drivers.

Slick_Willy

Anyone Else Want Some?
By the time the game comes out you will probably be able to get a GeForce2 GTS or Ultra at a good price and if anything you can pick up the MX 64MB for $150 right now which is just as fast as a Voodoo5 5500.

I switched to a GeForce Card when 3dfx went out the door and I noticed UT doesn't look as good as on the 3dfx but even even Epic admits that but the new engine looks fine with Direct3d. If you are having performance problems with UT and Geforce then try some of the Beta drivers listed at http://www.the-ctrl-alt-del.com/Drivers.htm I found that anything above 10.80 got rid of mouse lag and other similiar performance problems with the GeForce Cards.

I always loved 3dfx and it is too bad they couldn't keep up. They just couldn't seem to put out a chip with decent speed for some reason. Here are some rough numbers of why I feel that Geforce after switching is better:

Voodoo 5 GPU - 375 MegaTexels/s X1, X2, X4(never released 6000 Card)

GeForce2 MX - 700 MegaTexels/s
GeForce2 GTS Pro - 1.6 GigaTexels/s
GeForce2 Ultra - 2.0GigaTexels/s
GeForce3 - ?? Don't know but has been documented to be 4 times faster than the Ultra.

stiflersmom

MOM?!?!?!
Dec 7, 2000
Bangkok
Visit site
first of all, are you the slick_willy that made the map The Crossing? if so, great job!
ok, my card is an innovision tornado geforce2 mx with a pci slot...
is it safe for me to download the nvidia drivers?
because, I would REALLY like to get rid of that lag...

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
NVidia reference drivers will work for any GeForce 2, MX, GTS, Ultra card. You will probably lose any of innovision's proprietary software (like tweak utilities and stuff).

Slick_Willy

Anyone Else Want Some?
I've used the Nvidia Drivers and Elsa Drivers on my Hercules Card with no problems. But indeed if you have any specific settings for your card that the manufacture has put in there then they won't be there. The best thing is to just install the new driver and see if you like it. If not just go back to the old one.

And yes I made TheCrossing. Thanks for your comment. I'm thinking of doing another similiar CTF-Map that will take place on Na Pali with two Nali Villages pitted against each other.

ASMDstick

Mar 22, 2001
Visit site
I never got it here. Will U2 run on V5 at all?
Atleast on low-medium detail? If it will, wise will be get V5, they r cheap. Get though U2 untill UT2 or UWarfare or whatever comes in, then get a G3 they will be cheapish by then. I think 'coz U2 mostly SP game, i'll still be playing UT ..

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
ehm i don't wanna sound like a retard :)
but i've tried installing the detonator drivers, the 6.50, the 7.12 or something like that for the geforce2 mx, every time the same crap: mouse cursor was acting weird on my screen, image kept repeating itself.
And my system asked me to restart, but i did.
(this message showed up in my start menu-settings-screen (sorry i forgot how to exaclty put it in english)
I couldn't access my advanced options for the geforce2, windows gave me an error. Every time.
HAs this something to do with still using directx 7.0a?
Or ...?

The drivers that came with the card, 5.30 work fine afcourse. The detonator drivers should work. I have an exe from a cd-rom i got that came with a magazine.
But .. :I can someone help me here?
Oh and if something goes wrong while installing directx-8.0, where can i find the uninstaller?

Darth_Mule

I have and UnrealED Tattoo! (Just Kidding)
Nov 11, 2000
Visit site
Install direct X 8.0 and the *newest detonator drivers, 10.1 or 11.1 I think
Don't bother with the Geforce 3 for a long time, theres no point...I get 100fps with a Geforce 1 and PIII 667 (average at least 50fps)you just have to know how to set your system up properly and configure advanced options in UT...you don't *always need the next generation VID card...I'm going to wait for the G3 to come out and buy a G2 when there dirt cheap...don't be a sucker for Nvidia's marketing crap...

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Darth_mule

at what res do you get 100 fps? no, i'm just curious. I have a pIII 800, so when installing dx8 and the det drivers, i also should get these excellent framerates right?
640x800?
800x600?
1024x768?? :)
world detail to medium? skin detail to medium? 32 bit?
and yes afcourse, a geforce 1 is still a decent card.
And indeed, why purchase a gf3 now, when it's unbelievably expensive?
gf2 cards aren't that expensive anymore compared to last year, you know..

Darth_Mule

I have and UnrealED Tattoo! (Just Kidding)
Nov 11, 2000
Visit site
Sorry, forgot the rest...I play at 1024-768 16 bit color...There is a big difference between 16 bit and 32 bit, but 16 bit with detail textures on looks good anyway...I only get big slow-downs when in 32 bit color...

Rage-6MM

Apr 23, 2001
Canada
Visit site
i have a voodoo 3 3000D agp...... will it run ok on that or do you recommend i get a ge-force 2 GTS???
i have been with the unreal movement for awhile now and i'd hate to not be able to play unreal 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.