Too many EDs

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Cammy

Nymphomaniac
Nov 24, 1999
Singapore
Visit site
First you have UnrealEd. Then you have WoTEd. Now you have DukeEd. What's next? NerfEd? StarTrekEd? WerewolfEd? DeusExEd?

What Epic should do is collaborate with Legend, 3D Realms, etc. to come up with a single retail editor that can be configured to handle all the games that use the Unreal engine. Then with just one single editor you'll be able to handle several different games, which ought to save a lot of HD space and make things so much more compact and convenient. Look at QED3 -- it can handle Quake, Quake II, Hexen II and Half-Life. The old editor WadAuthor can handle Doom, Doom II, Heretic and Hexen. Why not do likewise for UnrealEd?

Epic, please note what I've said!

------------------
Yoooouuuu wanna daaaannce?...

Jenkins

America's Greatest Kitten Mitten
Apr 24, 2000
Irving, Tx, USA
jljenkins.cjb.net
I don't think that's going to happen. Each new game that comes out for it is going to have different features added and it doesn't seem to make sense to think that one editor could handle it on, over more than on game. If they added all the features for one game itself, that could work. But I wouldnt think that you could do it the way you are suggesting.

Jenkins

dinwitty

DeRegistered User
Nov 10, 1999
midwest,USA
www.qtm.net
really, the editor needs to be in the system folder of the game it is using. Its tied directly with the game.
I have several "*Eds" on my desktop and lets me go to the game I want to edit.
The file isnt that big, and its really the same editor, its very flexible, the differenc emay be with *.dll files that are unique for the game.
But the editor adapts for the game.
I am not sure the editor may ever get out of the beta stage, you'le haveta expect errors,
but thats the world of programming for ya.

BirddoG

Nov 20, 1999
Visit site
i talked to Mark Rein in a chat from UT and he said that TIM (Sweeney) wanted to move on past the UnrealED retail edition
thats what Mark told be but it might be wrong