Free Isps

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

violator1234

Jan 2, 2000
Visit site
Do any of the free Isps give good enough connections to play UT. I ask this because I have Compuserve 2000 and it sucks, but I cant get rid of it because I'm under contract.
Also Heat.net does not support Compuserve. Thx :p

Mr Z

Dec 3, 1999
Visit site
No, all of the free ISP's rely on advertising. While you are online there is a separate window open that constantly updates with ads. If you close the window you get disconnected. The problem is that the ad window is eating some of your bandwidth to the point that UT would really suffer.

Space Cruz

Dec 29, 1999
Baton Rouge, La, USA
Visit site
I guess EvilB's right, but I play with a free, ad-laden ISP and I've gotten used to it (www.bluelight.com).

Don't get me wrong; you do get what you pay for, but I'm no tournament-style player anyways. With my crappy system and a 56k winmodem, I consistently get pings of 200-350 (that's on f6, not f1) on at least my top thirty or forty servers. The ad bar pops occasionally on the top of my screen, but I've gotten so used to it, I forget it's there.

It's certainly not prime playing conditions, but it's free, free, free, and I have friends who pay for ISPs around me who dont see noticeably better ping rates (Crappy Mindspring and Earthlink come to mind).

Either way, that's my two cents /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif I suppose it all comes down to how much BS you can put up with and how much $$ you're willing to spend; I'd give it a try; what do you have to lose, but a bunch of money?

[This message has been edited by Space Cruz (edited 02-05-2000).]

XSenergy

Nov 26, 1999
Arlington, TX USA
Visit site
Ha, free isps are so ghetto /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

bullet2.gif

Signature
Note: The Signature feature is currently enabled by this bulletin board's
administrator. You may use UBB Code in this field, but not HTML. The UBB
Code Image tag is not permitted, however.

xsenergy.jpg

Dammit, they're right.

Stamp

Jan 21, 2000
Visit site
I use several different free UK isp's, including freeserve and freeisp. The connect speed is usually good, but the pings are generally bad and the p/l is worse. I'm gonna try screaming.net etc. as suggested by haplo and will see what happens.

I have also investigated mpz.com which turns out to have low pings and be quite stable. Only problem is you can only play on their servers. Anyone know anything about europe.heat, it was mentioned in another thread.