UE3 - UT3 Post Process Effects for visual impairments

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

robmason1

Oct 19, 2008
Hi everybody

I am developing a project in which I simulate visual impairments using UT3. The player will be walking around a building and certain switches will apply visual impairments to their sight. For instance a switch will say "Glaucoma" and when pressing the switch, the player will instantly being seeing through the eyes of somebody with these symptoms.

At the moment I am able to create a post process volume and apply effects to this volume, as well as use triggers to turn them on and off. All this really does is make things black and white, blurred etc.

However I would like to do more complicated things. Can anybody help?

1. I want to be able to add a material over the screen, so I can simulate things like black dots in the person's eyesight for certain impairments. I've had a go at chaging the default PostProcessChain and applying a material to it but I can't get anything to show up. It is a shame that you cannot specify a material for the PostProcessVolume :( If anybody knows a way of doing this I would be really grateful!! :D

2. I would eventually like to be able to edit the PostProcess effects myself. I mean the actual algorithms. For instance the blur PP effect must have some underlaying code behind it, how can I have a look at that and create my own version for something like double vision?

Thanks for you time and help, really appreciate it.

Rob

robmason1

Oct 19, 2008
I spoke to Hourences and he thinks a good method of achieveing this would be to attach a transparent plane right in front of the players face, and then apply a texture to that. So then when the player moves around he looks through that plane. This would work as it will only be a one player simulator.

So the next question is, anybody know how I can do this?

Thanks for the help.

Rob

robmason1

Oct 19, 2008
He said he hadn't done it before, therefore I thought it would be a good idea to ask on the forums to see if anybody had tried to implement something like this...

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
He said he hadn't done it before, therefore I thought it would be a good idea to ask on the forums to see if anybody had tried to implement something like this...

I tried something along those lines, but it's probably not the way to go about it. It didn't work very well, I attached a plane to the player but it bounced around all over the place when I walk. (tried playing with some attach settings but no difference)

Maybe try using a UI Scene, and overlay that on the screen. I'm pretty sure you can use images on them, and can be controlled in kismet..
Another idea might be to look at making some sort of custom HUD?

Last edited:

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
Yeah, that works sort of, [in kismet] go to: New Action>UI>Open Scene
You will need something to trigger it like, so conact a trigger volume or whatever to the "in" connector.
Check "UI Scenes" in the generic browser to see what scenes are available, these are all menus and stuff though, but presumably you can make your own and import them? i dont know how to do that though.
click on the one you want and then go to kismet and click on open scene oibject and in its properties, click the green arrow beside "scene" to select the scene from the generic browser.
I dont know if that will work right though.

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
I tried something along those lines, but it's probably not the way to go about it. It didn't work very well, I attached a plane to the player but it bounced around all over the place when I walk. (tried playing with some attach settings but no difference)

Maybe try using a UI Scene, and overlay that on the screen. I'm pretty sure you can use images on them, and can be controlled in kismet..
Another idea might be to look at making some sort of custom HUD?

thats "ONE" of the resons why CTF-searchlight doesnt work right..

I also tried ataching a mesh to a player.. it didnt even stay on the player.. it went all around the map when I moved..

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
Heh, I actually use the method of attaching something to the player's head to do the rewind effect in Prometheus currently. I could paste the code here tonight, but you'll need to be a programmer or know one to get it working properly.

robmason1

Oct 19, 2008
OK I figured it out. You have to create a new UIScene and place your texture on it following the UI bit in this tutorial: http://www.moddb.com/mods/ghostwriter/tutorials/screen-overlays-with-the-ui-editor

Then create a trigger and in kismet link this up to an open scene node and specify your scene you created. To stop the game from pausing when you hit the trigger, open your scene and, without the image selected, go to the splitscreen section and change SceneInputMode to INPUTNODE_None. And there we go, a nice overlay that can be switched on and off!

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
thats "ONE" of the resons why CTF-searchlight doesnt work right..

I also tried ataching a mesh to a player.. it didnt even stay on the player.. it went all around the map when I moved..

yeah, it attaches to the wrong bone, or maybe something to do with the pivot point of the mesh
I've attached a camera to a player, and it works very well..