Locating the enemy safely...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
Canada, Quebec, Terrebonne
For INF to get even farther from the "RUN and GUN" (tm), we need some better ways to locate the enemy than run around and hope to spot them before they do the same... Right now we only have footstep sound (wich don't always work online), decals (wich also fail to work most of the time, when they don't simply disapear almost after they where spawned) and gun sound (most of the time someone just died, and running toward the sound isn't the best way to see who won)...

We need more sounds we can use to locate and identify enemies, we need new ways to look around without getting shot in the head in the process, we need binoculars (hopefully comming soon) and we need a very easy to use communication system (multiple panels menus are not user friendly, and not everyone knows how to bind them, or bimd them in a useful manner)...

Sound :

Breathing (when you are close enough, especially when the person just ran around and is catching breath), loadout clinging (when moving around), radio sounds (you can hear a muffled speech when you are near enough of an enemy using radio, if he's a friendly you can hear him clearly).

* Would be nice if friendlies communicating radio messages would be easily heard when nearby while a less clear radio message would be heard when they are far away, this way we could know if the friendly radioing is nearby of far away just by the sound...
For typed messages, a different beep or something would be helpful to guess who's talking...

Looking around safely :

There should be a "look around corner, above the crate or under the bed" function that would allow us to see around, above or below objects without exposing our whole head or body (no firing during that move). It should be very quick and easy to use...

Any other ideas, comments?

zeep

:(
Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
i agree with 'hearing' the enemy totally. the weapons sound is great, the sound of walking on snow, grass and such it's all great. the radius could perhaps be somewhat larger so that you'd hear another player sooner / further away. the panning of one's footsteps ( i just posted this but hey, 2 times is better than 1! lol ) is miiiiles apart and could be best made ,straight up, MONO.
The radio stuff.. hmm i don't know if i'd agree with you there but maybe i'm just too fond of inf as it is right now and afraid of changes. I'm already afraid that the 'feel' will be completely different in 2.86.

The "look around corner, above the crate or under the bed" function.. hmm... i think that's too much work for these guys. I think that would require totally new movement programming, animation stuff and not to mention AI adjustments that are just too work/time demanding. The current AI spots you anyway even if you just pop up for a second.

well *yawn* i'm off to bed.

Mar 19, 2001
San Diego, CA
I agree with you on everything about the look around. I dont really see the point. In 286 we got lean and if you wanna look under the bed its called going prone. As for the beep it should only be for living players and not dead ones. Other than that good ideas :)

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
I like the suggestions for improving the sounds for enemy detection.

I don't know what kind of radio is being modeled for team communication. If it is subvocal and ear mikes, those are basically silent to the enemy.

I would love for someone with multiple slung weapons to have additional noise added when they move around.

All in all, good suggestions (with the exception of the overly complicated looking suggestion).

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
For the "peek around corner", you would not need that much work to do it since basically you are not supposed to shoot while doing it, so they might not even need to make a new animation... It's mostly for the user to be able to see and not be shot at while doing it...

But if there is to be an anim, the inf guy could simply put his weapon down and do a small "peek" anim that would last about a second, the hitbox would remain the same and that's all... Well, the look under was not a very serious suggestion, but looking slightly above while beind cover without having to jump or stand up if you are crouched would be helpful...

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
I think if you stay very close to a wall without your weapon aimed you can accomplish the same thing with leaning. Just do it and then move back fast and you won't be exposed for too long.

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
But there is a problem Monk_Zero : While they may not be able to shoot you with bullets, they still can see you well, more than enough for them to know it's time for a grenade or go after you...

What i wish for is some way to look around "safely", in a maner that would be hard for them to notice the "peeker"...

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
In RL, to peek around the corner you don't need to expose much of your head, and most of the time you only need on eye , not both to have a good idea of what's around the corner...

In game it would only mean a small part of your head would be exposed for a very brief moment so you would be far less likely to be spotted...

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
You would be surprised the amount of control you have with the leaning. I think this can be accomplished with leaning now. I just did a quick test by leaning far enough out to see the situation and then checking to see how much of my body was exposed. It pretty much amounted to half my head at most. Assuming the final implementation of leaning (in 2.86) keeps this intact, it should work fine for what you're looking for.

Just do it with the weapon at the hip so your elbow isn't noticeable.

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
At least the sound part goes well, i wonder how much they can do with it so it be more tactically useful (meaning more reliable to locate the enemy and not just yourself)...

I hope they can do something about hearing through walls and ceilings too clearly : on some maps like the one in a train station (argn, forgot the name again), sound travel too well through walls, floor and ceilings, very hard to say how far they really are from you...

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
That one is really hard to do R-force. Realistic sounds need a hellish ammount of calculation...
But we can skip over most of those effects and just take the ones we want/can do :D

TitanBlue

KATSU AKIGATA WA NAN DESUKA
Jul 27, 2001
Visit site

If you can see one - one can see you
If you can't see one - one can see you
If one can see you - one can kill you.

Titan"SunTzu"Blue :con: