Which Unreal Game is Best According to You?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Choose between the following

• Total voters

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Unreal/UT without any doubt. The atmosphere and style of both games is so awesome. All Unreal games are a complete mess of different themes and approaches, but for some weird reason, one way or another, it worked in the first two games, it actually felt really cool. After that it just got way too random and too flashy, the atmosphere was gone.
I'm going to have to agree even though I'm one of those newbs who played UT2003 before UT and Unreal (in my defense I didn't have a computer of my own until then). Based on total amount of fun had over the years, I'd have to vote for UT2004 since that's the first one I really got into, but I at least recognize that the series at its beginnings was much better than what it turned into. And, yes, that includes its current GoW wannabe, B movie ripoff, console ported, brown and bloom asshattery.

m&ms

Melts in your mouth, not in your hand.
Jul 13, 2003
in a bag....duh
Visit site
UT2003 because boost jump and bombing run was the most fun I've ever had in an unreal.
UT2004 because it still had the great focus on movement inherited from 2k3, and it made some changes to BR that made it a bit more lively for a while.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Thumbs up for Dark Pulse. Also, UT3 is sufficient, we only need gameplay after all. If we want to meet and play we can do that elsewhere. GSA login does work, sometimes, but haven't failed me many times at all or maybe it have. There are a number of times I haven't remained logged in. If that means I can't play online that must upset lots of people, but if you just log in again it should work for some time.

It seems that almost all messenger systems fail when you're running a bit torrent application. Maybe that's what's going on, but none is willing to share with the rest of us.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
I voted for UT99, of course. I also think that UT 2004 is very worthy (Onslaught + Invasion-RPG mod) as is the original Unreal.

I disagree with Dark Pulse that UT3's game play is perfect. It's not bad and the movement has a very good feel to it, but the game play itself is far from perfect. You can't throw weapons and the piloting/driving of the vehicles just doesn't seem right for some reason and you can no longer do a first person view in them. (I can't put my finger on it, but something about the piloting/driving of the vehicles just doesn't feel right.) Also, as I understand it, you can't have pipe binds for weapons (ie, rocket launcher and AVRIL bound to the same key) or at least not very easily.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Thumbs up for Dark Pulse. Also, UT3 is sufficient, we only need gameplay after all.

Totally in agreement here. Especially regarding Unreal II (solid game just shouldn't have been called Unreal) and UT3 from the little bit I've played so far with some experimenting on botmatches. I have no doubt in my mind about UT3 being rushed out by Midway to make it available for a holiday release. Look how long it took them to get the 360 port out. The game plays great (as far as I can tell), it runs decently on the low end (assuming you can tolerate 640x480) and once you've got everything set up do you really need to deal with the menu system a lot?

I want to believe that Epic can get UT4 right. They just need to focus on the core game stuff and have Midway stay off their backs in order to give us a great game on day 1. Why do they feel a need to create a real single-player game? Just give us the linear progression. No one played Q3 or UT for the campaign. Streamlining the gametypes like in UT3 was a great move from the near too many options that UT2004 gave us.

Most importantly though: retain the iconic elements of the franchise. They need to retain Xan and Malcolm. Not just Lauren / Brock. Xan and Malcolm are the Mario / Sonic of Unreal. The weapon mix can fluctuate, but they need to retain the essentials: Shock Rifle, BioRifle, Flak Cannon, Rocket Launcher and Sniper Rifle. Without those it's not Unreal. Give us classic maps. Facing Worlds, Deck and others are hallmarks of the series. They need to be in the game on release in order to give the old people something familiar to latch on to.

UT4 needs to be a near throwback to UT99. UT3 feels a lot like UT99 but the polish wasn't there. Epic should take what they learned from UT3, expand upon it, add more traditional elements back into the game and polish the hell out of it.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I've little faith of the next UT being successful, I'd love seeing it happen though. I sincerely wish it will become a worthy tournament game. Time will tell, but I'm very skeptical at the moment.

If you're looking for Unreal content, either try Unrealsp.org (sp/coop maps) or Oldunreal (Dm/serpentine maps etc.)

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
(I can't put my finger on it, but something about the piloting/driving of the vehicles just doesn't feel right.)

For me it is the over-responsiveness for steering the Scorp and expecially Bender. (And I still believe that this is due to the fact that it is optimized for analog controllers.)
Well, and in the air I don't like to have the Raptor or alike cover most of the screen when I aim down.

Last edited:

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
First and foremost UT, because that game got me into the series.

Unreal because it was next to Duke Nukem 3D the only single player FPS I found interesting enough to complete without using cheats.

Unreal Tournament 3 because IMO it's a huge improvement over UT2x.

Sys-X

Commercialized Killer !!!
Mar 22, 2006
Netherlands
I really had to vote for ut2004, because that game made me buy myself a good gaming rig and introduced me to online gaming, before that I was too busy in rl anyway and playing crappy console games on my ps2 :0

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Following that line of reasoning I should vote for UT3, I bought myself a computer to last years to come, at least I hope.

Duke Nukem. That sure does bring back memories. I loved that game too. It kind of beat Quake in some ways, but not Quake II, for me that is. Duke Nukem Forever is around the corner. I sure hope they put lot of effort into it, not just a little fancy graphics and some gameplay and then foobar the rest like some hasty gamedevelopers might.

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
I voted for UT99, of course. I also think that UT 2004 is very worthy (Onslaught + Invasion-RPG mod) as is the original Unreal.

I disagree with Dark Pulse that UT3's game play is perfect. It's not bad and the movement has a very good feel to it, but the game play itself is far from perfect. You can't throw weapons and the piloting/driving of the vehicles just doesn't seem right for some reason and you can no longer do a first person view in them. (I can't put my finger on it, but something about the piloting/driving of the vehicles just doesn't feel right.) Also, as I understand it, you can't have pipe binds for weapons (ie, rocket launcher and AVRIL bound to the same key) or at least not very easily.

The vehicles take much more time to get used to. Much more time. There are certain things wrong with how the aim is vs where the hit actually results in certain situations. This is for all vehicles and turrets. Invisible things deflect your fire in certain situations. That is what bugs me the most. The no hit zone in certain situations.

The vehicles are much weaker and easier to take down than in UT2K4. First person is gone, I miss that in certain situations like when next to a tree in the tank and the leave block your view even though the tank is in front and aiming away from it.

The invisible wreckage that blocks you or that you drive up on or hit and roll on, ect. It stops you but not the incoming avril or weapons fire. Very frustrating!

Getting stuck to a wall or landscape feature or bouncing and turning 90 degrees on a small curb or some other nonsense.

FYI, pipe binds are pretty simple, but they do not work near as nice as they did in UT2K4.

This thread has the how to.
http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=594419

But, again, not as easy as UT2K4 and does not work as good. Many times you must press the key twice to switch so it's not nearly as fast.

I have my mouse #4 and #5 buttons on 3 way pipes. My center mouse has a double bind along side the scroll up and down funcion. Many other pipe binds as well.

i.mosh

forum whore is back
Sep 30, 2008
rite side
i went with UT2004, i started playing UT with UT2003.... I was never really a gamer before hand, maybe console here and there. I was stuck partying and ext. UT2004 has made me the gamer i am today!

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
The vehicles are much weaker and easier to take down than in UT2K4. First person is gone, I miss that in certain situations like when next to a tree in the tank and the leave block your view even though the tank is in front and aiming away from it.

Uuuuu the whole point was that vehicles were too weak in UT2004. The Scorpion really could not do much other than transport, (seriously most manta pilots could avoid the bolas, the ball is much more effective) and it drove slower and the scythes were on the back, making it easier to dodge them. The tank in UT3 is much tougher, mantas are more agile, and the paladin is much faster. The only vehicle that is really weaker is the SPMA, because its bad handling.

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
Uuuuu the whole point was that vehicles were too weak in UT2004. The Scorpion really could not do much other than transport, (seriously most manta pilots could avoid the bolas, the ball is much more effective) and it drove slower and the scythes were on the back, making it easier to dodge them. The tank in UT3 is much tougher, mantas are more agile, and the paladin is much faster. The only vehicle that is really weaker is the SPMA, because its bad handling.

I have to ask, who do you play with? They have more firepower, but are very vulnerable to attack. Come play on T5K, UMG, BGE, and PUB WARfare servers. Survival and success depends on skill, tactics, and healing. The individual player with avrils, experience, and skill can usually, depending on the situation, sneak up on and destroy almost anything. Avrils deliver 200 damage per hit, more sometimes on Raptors and Scorpions. (The 1 hit kill controversy) Flak can kill a fully healed tank in 4 shots up close.

The SPMA is as strong as the tank and has the largest firepower of all vehicles except for the levi as long as the camara lasts. But, it's an easy target to anything when deployed. You really do not want to waste time driving the SPMA anywhere far. The Paladin is much weaker now and I thought even slower. If you wait until you need the shield to raise it, your already dead.

I agree, the scorpion is much better now, I should know.
http://www.dfbgaming.com/ut3_stats/...t=Vehicle+Kills:Scorpion+Glob&game_name=ut3pc

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
And even then, they made bombing actually useful, because not only do you know the path of your shell now, but the bombing is actually pretty tightly packed, and if it's a large target with a careful bombing placement, it *HURTS*.

It may be good for offense, but it takes a long time to deploy and it is weak on the defense, even though the driver now ha contorl of the turret (which was a good thing, since nobody ever would wait around with a SPMA to guard him).

But as I think about it, you are kinda right with the effectiveness with the shell.

But then again, osme of the levels that have the SPMA do not place it very well. Suspense only has 1 or 2 places it works well, and it is not very effective placement in the new Torlan. After capturing the middle nodes in Torlan, you need large offencive vehicles to take the last point and the enemies main base, and the only large vehicle is the SPMA. This makes the supply lines streched as the Hellbender is back at base and your team's Goliath is on the other side of the map. The SPMA probably could have been better placed in the main base as it can defend the core.