can't figure this one out - performance drop

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[K]FlyingMonkey

Aug 23, 2000
Visit site
I just reinstalled Windows 98 .. I had a could problems outside of gaming that required me to do a complete format/install.

So anyway, I install UT .. use my same .ini file (so all the old configs from my last install are the same) I add all the patches, packs, bonus whatevers .. all the standard downloads, basically.

Start UT .. 20 FPS. hrm.. I went from 100 FPS to 20. Something's wrong.

I reinstalled Windows AGAIN tonight .. just because after 10 reinstalls in a month, it's starting to become fun. :rolleyes:

So .. I get everything back up and running OS-Wise - start UT, SAME problem.

I'm using the same drivers I've used in previous installs .. I believe they're the Det 6.35. I even tried using my card's drivers - the Hercules 6.35 and 7.52.

I'm running UT in D3D - I have a Geforce 2 GTS, Athlon 1333 - 512 megs of ram (blah blah..) Everything in UT is maxed.. etc.

Here's what I'm trying to find out - UT has ran just fine for about a year and a half - now all of a sudden I get this HUGE performance decrease when I set my system up exactly how I've had it set to previously, and I can't figure out WHY. I just reinstalled UT and Windows.

Ever start UT, move your mouse, and it takes a second or two for it to actually move on the screen? That's what I'm getting, basically.

:\

It sounds like my card is shot .. but it's only going on 9 months old. :confused:

Infidel [FU]

Sep 1, 2000
You know, I just had this same exact problem -- performance drop after reinstalling Windows. Then I realized my Voodoo 3 wasn't overclocked anymore (controlled by software). I cranked it back up and was back in business. I've read that Geforce cards have similar overclocking features.... just an idea?

[K]FlyingMonkey

Aug 23, 2000
Visit site
I've never overclocked my graphics card - I've never turned on AA or vsync on (or altered it in any way) so it wouldn't be on all of a sudden.

I never did anything special in the past to get UT to run correctly, and I'm not doing anything special right now - but all of a sudden I get 80 FPS less.

It can't be my card .. I just played Tribes 2 with everything maxed and it was clean as ever...

I'm really stumped. Maybe I'll turn my computer on tomorrow, start UT, and everything will be fine. :p

Infidel [FU]

Sep 1, 2000
Hrmm.. other thoughts -- are you running different versions of IE or DirectX? I forgot to update both of them for a day or so after the reinstall.